2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Capharol
Capharol

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Wouter wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:40
Marti_EF3 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 14:05
Wouter wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 12:56

@Marti_EF3 ,

Marc Priestly has heard rumors that there are vibrations in the Honda engine.
Did you hear anything about it today on the circuit? Every little bit of information you have is welcome.
I didn't hear anything at the moment. But the PU sounds very smooth on shiftings and full throttle (RB and TR), more than last year. So, I think all is going well 😁
It has already been confirmed.
Dieter Rencken called Marc Priestly and the information appears to come from an ex-employee (2018) from RBR.
The Honda engine has vibrations and they can not currently use the number of HP's gained during the winter break, only for a few laps.
sorry Wouter but this sounds ..... odd, a ex-employee knows stuff of the 2019 engine during testing in 2019???

Wouter

FMP wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:44
Wouter wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:40
Marti_EF3 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 14:05

I didn't hear anything at the moment. But the PU sounds very smooth on shiftings and full throttle (RB and TR), more than last year. So, I think all is going well 😁
It has already been confirmed.
Dieter Rencken called Marc Priestly and the information appears to come from an ex-employee (2018) from RBR.
Any cource on that? I rank Fritz-Dieter Rencken highly despite some of his personal views, but I need to see or hear to believe that.
Research was conducted this morning as Dieter Rencken called Marc Priestley to ask what exactly he heard and who the source is. The story Marc told in his video comes from a former Red Bull Racing team member who left at the end of last year, so he is no longer with the team and is also not in Barcelona.
https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2453 ... y-balanced
Last edited by Wouter on 20 Feb 2019, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

gandharva

Nice article.!

An article that confirms at the end of the article that the rumors in the article are bs. It's getting better and better! :D
But hey, they got a few clicks!

Godius

Indeed, it also confirms that the RB15 has problems with rear-end stability. This was disputed by some people in the team thread. But it is fairly obvious to notice Max and Pierre struggling with the rear end in the corners on lower fuel runs.

gandharva

Horner already said that this was a balance issue due to Melbourne spec rearwing. They got a new one today. But this is very much OT here...

muramasa
muramasa

There is no issue having a vibration with the engine at low revs if it ticks over as the revs rise. The problems start when the engine is at high revs and there are still vibrations coming from the engine.
That's plain wrong. Not recognizing difference between vibration and oscillation as well. The oscillation issues at the beginning of 2017 and around the spec 3 of 2018 was due to torque cliff in low rev range and unstable/erratic combustion at low-mid rev range. The more you pursue lean burn, the more difficult it gets to control combustion in lower rev. Of course that's over whole range so same for high rev but in high rev it's easy to control by adjusting ignition timing etc to avoid knocking. This un-smooth, un-linear power delivery in lower rev was sending vibration and causing oscillation with interaction with gearbox, shaft, tyre and ground, that's why the counter measures they took was 1.avoid use of certain rpm in low-mid range, 2.shift down/up at non optimal timing to avoid the cliff spot, then 3.modify plenum chamber to improve low rev torque. That was up til Spain of 2017. For spec 3 of 2018 it's roughly the same as well but quite different in seriousness, basically they could cope with it by making software adjustment on dyno quickly as well as some minor hardware modification. The other issues on spec 3 was nothing to do with vibration but was mainly due to having used up all the safety margin incorporated in 2018 engine architecture at design stage.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Regardless of rumours, both cars running the Honda motor sound far cleaner on down and upshifts than they have any other year, all those horrible oscillations on upshifts in slow corners have gone so far.

Marti_EF3

I'm curious aboout what Spec are STR running, because it sounds different than the RB PU. The sound reminds me more of last year PU

muramasa
muramasa

PhillipM wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:25
Regardless of rumours, both cars running the Honda motor sound far cleaner on down and upshifts than they have any other year, all those horrible oscillations on upshifts in slow corners have gone so far.
It still sounds dirty at some spots, namely upshift in T2 and from exit of la caixa. Other cars/makers have same/similar sounds sometimes and in different spots and it could be waste gates opened but still honda pu is bit conspicuous. Also it does not sound so clean on start practice from pit lane. Whether that is related "oscillation issue" or not is another matter tho.

Marti_EF3 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:50
I'm curious aboout what Spec are STR running, because it sounds different than the RB PU. The sound reminds me more of last year PU
Both cars sound the same.

Marti_EF3

muramasa wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 18:32
PhillipM wrote:
It still sounds dirty at some spots, namely upshift in T2 and from exit of la caixa. Other cars/makers have same/similar sounds sometimes and in different spots and it could be waste gates opened but still honda pu is bit conspicuous. Also it does not sound so clean on start practice from pit lane. Whether that is related "oscillation issue" or not is another matter tho.

Marti_EF3 wrote:
Here on track they sound a bit different, mainly with downshifting and partial throttle stages...

dren

Kvyat's Honda just vibrated it's way to the top, or maybe it was oscillating with the track.
Honda!

McMika98
McMika98

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

https://soymotor.com/articulos/analisis ... ase-960530

Amazing stint by Alex Albon yesterday consistently in the 23s for 20+ laps. Compared to Lando, he must be really pleased with his day. Bear in mind this was his first day testing F1 car and his confidence must have been shattered by the early spin. Hopefully they can develop the car at same rate as others.

Hino
Hino

Some data from Kyvats fastest lap compared to the rest of the grid from Day 3 of testing. F1 Testing: What the data tells us from Day 3

GhostF1
GhostF1

muramasa wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 18:32
PhillipM wrote:

Marti_EF3 wrote:
They don't. They sound different. And every listener has mentioned it, Tanabe himself has also mentioned both teams are running different specifications. So the slight variations in sound stand to reason.

Wazari

Marti_EF3 wrote:
Slightly different wastegate configuration between the two. No other hardware differences.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro