2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

The main problem in the chassis is that their bargeboard concept blows.
Saishū kōnā

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mansell89
Mansell89

Good news- could have been nasty so very glad to hear things are fine.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Where can we expect Renault to be in Hungary? Are they a team that is better in a twisty circuit or are they a little lost like McLaren were in their development a year ago?

makecry
makecry

Mansell89 wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 00:21
Where can we expect Renault to be in Hungary? Are they a team that is better in a twisty circuit or are they a little lost like McLaren were in their development a year ago?
I expect them to be faster than McLaren.

MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM

#Chester out

Briatore has been saying it for years, get rid off Chester and Bell, both mediocre.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

makecry wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 00:21
I’m surprised they weren’t up there this weekend... RIC’s exit in Q1 isn’t because of the car, but Hulk not making it to Q3 is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JordanMugen

makecry wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 00:38
You do? :wink:

Still the race to go, so we will see if Renault are faster than McLaren in race conditions, and if Renault can bring home their proper P7 & P8 positions as the "best of the rest".

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I think the problem with Renault is in two areas, the management is mediocre at best. It needs some key manager that has been around the paddock for years and knows what they need for a car to be quick, its almost as if they are using the design by committee route. They need a change in structure, to a more classical yet modern structure like what McLaren has done recently, and what Red Bull has.

The other area that i think they need work on is that this cars concept has been going for 3 years now, its almost - no scratch that - its reached its maturity and needs a new concept, a blank sheet of paper if you will. If they are not lucky with this car, it will become the modern day Toyota TF107, where they can go no further and will need to start fresh for a year where it means almost zero the year before a rule change and bring a good TF108 base into 2020 and build on it and keep what works, in the areas that they can for 2021 rule change. Its not as if they need to change drivers as they ahem two damn good ones, however the Riccardo star may wean with poor machinery and Hulkenberg may decide it may be time to go to FE and WEC where his talents will show though. Leaving the team with to go to at least one B Spec driver and a hot shoe.

Whilst i respect they may be waiting on 2021, they need to do something new now, try things. They may luck in and luck out, but once they luck in with more regularity they will go forward. When they are compared to McLaren last year they were better, now they are poorer than the customer machine. And when McLaren have bolted on 4 seconds from last year to this, I'm surprised Renault haven't got even close to half that. I know that the start of 2016 saw them have 295 employees at Einstone and now they have got around 700. They may require time to gel and get on. I fear that Renault will become the next Williams and have a short demise.

I fear that Renault will up sticks, sell the team on and become a engine supplier only again as Honda is seeing success this way. May be good for Mclaren to get a works Renault deal that way. At this rate they will struggle for 7th, as STR and Alfa are better at this stage.

MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM

While I agree with most things you've listed, I don't share the fear that they will walk away.
In fact they've been streamlining their motor sport programme, in other words cutting involvement in other series and competitions with the sole purpose of focusing on F1.
That things are not going as planned, that was obvious as of last year, but finishing best of the rest and snatching Ricciardo from RBR helped the management paint a brighter picture.

Come 2019 there is no hiding. The car design is modest.
Chassis development isn't possible as long as you don't have correlation between whatever you're designing and what happens on the track. I think the France update said it all really.
They are as lost as McLaren was early 2018.

Everybody is looking at 2021 as a major overhaul. It's just not going to happen. Remember the last time we had a big regulation change ? It was 2014. What was the pecking order at the end of 2013 ? RedBull, yes, from Mercedes (most people remember Schumacher's tyre shredder from that era, but fact is Mercedes went on to understand their issues and finished 2nd in the Constructors at the end of 2013. Did the engine propelled Mercedes to the 2014 WCC wins ? For sure, but by that time Brackley was on top of their chassis game.

Management ? I don't think they truly believe they can win by spending half of what Mercedes is spending.
I don't understand why they insist with Cyril, doesn't seem to be the right guy for the job, albeit he was making good tea back when he was Briatore's butler. (Horner dixit)
Is there somebody worse than Cyril out there ? As a long time McLaren fan, I know a certain gentlemen, a french guy, you don't want to talk about him.
My bet is that Cyril is here to stay, at least until Stoll is replaced.

While they are in a bad shape, in the race, I expect them to do better than Alfa and STR.

makecry
makecry

JordanMugen wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 17:24
makecry wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 00:38
You do? :wink:

Still the race to go, so we will see if Renault are faster than McLaren in race conditions, and if Renault can bring home their proper P7 & P8 positions as the "best of the rest".
Happy to be proven wrong as a McLaren fan lol :D Now I really hope McLaren starting on softs doesn't hinder them.

carisi2k

Renault are better off forgetting about 2020 and should focus solely on 2021 and the new regulations since putting any more money in to this dead duck will be a waste of money.

bosyber
bosyber

carisi2k wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 10:36
Renault are better off forgetting about 2020 and should focus solely on 2021 and the new regulations since putting any more money in to this dead duck will be a waste of money.
I think ESPImperium is right that waiting until then is too late - they need to see, and show themselves and their drivers that they can make a good step with a car for next year. Otherwise, why would they have more success for 2021? Had they had a clear progress this year (indeed, like McLaren are showing), I would agree with you, but now, the do really need to have a clear path forward in my opinion.

And even if it isn't about the chassis, their track operations and management of the race weekend need to become more consistent and/or inventive - as it is they seem both risk averse and less than solid at the same time. Toyota is a sad, but apt, warning comparison. While I don't fully trust whenever Horner says something, Cyril does really only seem to be there as the default political appointee, and that's not a way to run a team (if only Vasseur had been the one to be retained).

JordanMugen

JordanMugen wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 17:24
The answer is no, Renault cannot. In fact, Renault are way off the pace in almost embarrassing fashion... :wtf:
bosyber wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 10:51
Toyota is a sad, but apt, warning comparison.
I don't think it's sad. Renault Sport F1 are indeed very similar to Toyota Motorsport GmbH. I think if Renault followed Toyota's example and set their minds to Le Mans and WRC, Renault would probably be quite competitive there in those (crucially) less competitive series. That's not a bad thing at all. :)

It doesn't mean Toyota Motorsport GmbH or Renault Sport F1 are incompetent, it just means they are less good than rival operations... They will get better results by competing in series with less competition. :)
Last edited by JordanMugen on 04 Aug 2019, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.