2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

marmer wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 19:09
Marti_EF3 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:52
HPD wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 15:27

If things go wrong in Red Bull Honda. Everything is possible..
I think it need to be a disaster to let Haas beat RBR. And I doubt it will be. RBR have all the info they want from STR, to fully integrate the PU on the chasis. And for sure Honda has improved (the question is how far they've gone compared with the other PU)

It's not bad to set some goals, but to beat RBR... It sounds a bit too much dreaming...
but if the cars is basically last years ferrari with new wings and an even better ferrari engine they might have a chance early in the season before honda gets going fullly
We will see soon... #-o

etusch

marmer wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 19:09
Marti_EF3 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:52
HPD wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 15:27

If things go wrong in Red Bull Honda. Everything is possible..
I think it need to be a disaster to let Haas beat RBR. And I doubt it will be. RBR have all the info they want from STR, to fully integrate the PU on the chasis. And for sure Honda has improved (the question is how far they've gone compared with the other PU)

It's not bad to set some goals, but to beat RBR... It sounds a bit too much dreaming...
but if the cars is basically last years ferrari with new wings and an even better ferrari engine they might have a chance early in the season before honda gets going fullly
If last year's Ferrari beat this year's Redbull, Redbull must be very bad

Marti_EF3

And seems everybody are underestimating Honda even before the tests. It've been fashion thing for some time... I hope they come with a nice 2019 PU, only to shut some mouths that are always with that "Honda thing"... [-o<

Capharol
Capharol

I Agree with etusch and Marti_EF3

because IF the Honda would be so bad that Haas could overtake them, Max won't stay until 2020 for sure, and i even doubt if Dr. Helmut Marko or Christian Horner will accept that from Honda.

because if Haas get pass RB, so does Renault do, and no way HM, CH or Mateschitz will allow that to happen

carisi2k

So many of you seem to be stuck in 2017 when talking about Red Bull dropping off because of Honda. Say what you want but the Honda was clearly the equal of Renault in 2018, especially by the end of the year. reliability wasn't a concern because most of the new engines were installed because of either destruction (spain / canada) or development and not reliability. When the car performed poorly last year it was clearly to do with the chassis and not the engine. Honda will have 2 teams in 2019 and this will clearly advance their development.

I don't think any mid field team will get near the top 3 and certainly Haas will not. Max will be pushing Mercedes and Ferrari in 2019 which hurts because I am a honey badger fan. Renault is probably the only team that could elevate it's performances to join the top 3 but that depends on this supposedly new wonder engine they have and if they can advance their chassis.

In conclusion I don't see any issues with the Honda engine in 2019 and I unfortunately expect to be hearing the dutch anthem quite a bit.

LM10
LM10

I really like Honda. It's gonna be interesting to see how the relationship between them and RBR will develop. Now Max praises Honda all the time. Last year he was criticising Renault every single week.

gastonmazzacane

Marti_EF3 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 20:39
And seems everybody are underestimating Honda even before the tests. It've been fashion thing for some time... I hope they come with a nice 2019 PU, only to shut some mouths that are always with that "Honda thing"... [-o<
Look, it took Ferrari 4 years to get within Mercedes with power, and they have more budget, experience and more testing miles than Honda. Fairytales sometimes happens in F1, but some things are just obvious.
But I reallly hope they do produce a good PU, because we need RBR to spice things up on the top.

Capharol
Capharol

gastonmazzacane wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:24
Marti_EF3 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 20:39
Look, it took Ferrari 4 years to get within Mercedes with power, and they have more budget, experience and more testing miles than Honda. Fairytales sometimes happens in F1, but some things are just obvious.
But I reallly hope they do produce a good PU, because we need RBR to spice things up on the top.
Honda had 4 years now, 3 with McLaren, 1 with TR (with RB-backing them up) so it could be they can get that gap closed, if it will be at AUSGP or maybe later, that we can only guess.
But I'm convinced Honda WILL get that gap closed in 2019

Mansell89
Mansell89

Red Bull are certainly not giving Honda a huge amount of wriggle room with their remarks are they? To hear Verstappen talk you’d think they’ve binned a dud engine and taken on a beast. That remains to be seen.

When you consider some of the criticism they have given Renault, if ever Renault have made the leap forward that they claim (this time), Honda might be some way behind in the opening races. How will Red Bulls patience be if that was a scenario that played out?

Away from that side of things, I am really interested to see how a works engine has benefited Adrian Newey and his designs. Will he package this super tight and trust the engine or will he be more conservative around the engine? I always felt McLaren we’re probably too aggressive too early in that regard. Obviously RBR have the advantage of seeing a year of it with Toro Rosso and also Honda entering their 6th year.

etusch

Lets say Renault engine is ahead of Honda power wise but Honda engine performance is enough for Redbull to win and a bit more reliability advantage over Renault because of second or third year of same concept. What is problem?
I think this is bad scenario for RbH.

Sieper

Mansell89 wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 17:03
Red Bull are certainly not giving Honda a huge amount of wriggle room withen their remarks are they? To hear Verstappen talk you’d think they’ve binned a dud engine and taken on a beast. That remains to be seen.

When you consider some of the criticism they have given Renault, if ever Renault have made the leap forward that they claim (this time), Honda might be some way behind in the opening races. How will Red Bulls patience be if that was a scenario that played out?
Verstappen has actually been quite “low” in his expecation, certainly for the beginning of 2019 season, he has said on several occasion he still expected to be down in power, and he has been more restrained then certainly Marko or even Horner. I am curious about just what gave you this impression?

carisi2k

Mclaren's problem with the Honda and Renault in regards to tight packaging in 2017/18 was due also to other elements like the shortest wheelbase, smallest engine airbox and small radiators. As shown in the Toro rosso last year with the larger airbox the honda had some capability and the red bull will not make the same mistake as their car is nowhere near as undersized as the mclaren was in 2017/18.

If the 2018 red bull rb14 can fit a Renault engine then it shouldn't be a problem to fit a Honda in a similarly packaged rb15. The Honda will fit better in to the rb15 package then the Renault ever could.

Tzk
Tzk

I also guess that the airflow to the diffuser might get better on the redbull because the packaging of the honda is tighter. So, question is if these aero improvements even outweigh the (a.so guessed) power deficit of the honda engine.

Capharol
Capharol

Well I believe they once said at RB if we can get within 0,5 sec. the car will do the rest for turning it into a winning car

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

One thing for sure: if the car does well it will be all because the chassis/aero is great, if the car doesn't do well it'll all be Honda's fault. Standard Horner and Marko blame game will apply.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.