2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ispano6

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:54
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:08
Not looking good for me. If Mercs bring 20hp in Canada they have 1 more step till the end of the season. If they bring 15hp more with last engine Honda need 65-70 hp boost. Really big step...

I am convinced that Honda is coming with a major upgrade of the spec 3 engine.
The spec 2 was only because of the reliability.
And according to Marko, the spec 4 has another major upgrade. ( He recently called 20HP a small upgrade :wink: )
Together that is much more than the +/- 35 HP from Mercedes.
I don't know about those numbers but I agree spec3 is not far off. I like the dynamic that Marko and Tanabe duo are, they're dropping hints about the turbo and the timing.

godlameroso

Big push from both sides for Silverstone.
Saishū kōnā

seense
seense

loner wrote:
29 May 2019, 22:22
spec 4 major upgrade could be ready in Silverstone according to Mario Illien
Do you have a source?

loner

seense wrote:
30 May 2019, 10:52
loner wrote:
Do you have a source?
viewtopic.php?t=18874&start=15525
para bellum.

Wouter

loner wrote:
30 May 2019, 13:29
seense wrote:
30 May 2019, 10:52
loner wrote:
Do you have a source?
viewtopic.php?t=18874&start=15525
That is the wrong translation @loner.
"Illien verspricht, dass es spätestens (No later than) ab Silverstone wieder mehr Power von Honda gibt."

"Illien promises that there will be more power from Honda at the latest (No later than) from Silverstone."
That can therefore also be a few races earlier with the spec 3 and not the spec 4 as you said..
The Power of Dreams!

bosyber
bosyber

It might also mean that the new spec can do it, but will possibly be limited at its first race(s), to check that it is reliable enough to go full power, which they think should be at the latest with the SIlverstone race (where they definitely can use extra power, of course).

loner

bosyber wrote:
30 May 2019, 21:38
It might also mean that the new spec can do it, but will possibly be limited at its first race(s), to check that it is reliable enough to go full power, which they think should be at the latest with the SIlverstone race (where they definitely can use extra power, of course).
the point is spec 4 scheduled for Monza or earlier , Honda think their PU now can be used for 7 races so when the spec 3 will debut :mrgreen:
para bellum.

KelsO
KelsO

I read an article where Helmut Marko said that Mercedes due to the power unit was 3 tenths ahead in the first sector. But if we look at telemetry, we will see that Mercedes slows down later, starts acceleration earlier and faster in seven of nineteen turns. Mercedes is especially strong at the 3rd and 4th corners, where Hamilton has time to reach full throttle. On direct Mercedes a little faster, but this advantage is quite insignificant compared to the speed in the corners. And it seems more a matter of chassis than power unit. Or am I wrong?

Alexf1
Alexf1

Merc chassis is really mega this year due to their choice for maximum downforce under the new aero rules. But most of all the 2019 type tyres with their stiffer structure, harder compounds and thinner tread. Ideal for them as it turned their rear tyre weakness into their strength and vice versa for the competition. Well played politically by Merc

ME4ME

KelsO wrote:
31 May 2019, 15:10
I read an article where Helmut Marko said that Mercedes due to the power unit was 3 tenths ahead in the first sector. But if we look at telemetry, we will see that Mercedes slows down later, starts acceleration earlier and faster in seven of nineteen turns. Mercedes is especially strong at the 3rd and 4th corners, where Hamilton has time to reach full throttle. On direct Mercedes a little faster, but this advantage is quite insignificant compared to the speed in the corners. And it seems more a matter of chassis than power unit. Or am I wrong?
It's worth considering that both can be true, don't you think?
Very possible that they are fastest in most corners, yet still gain 3 tenths from Q2 to Q3 because of their "party mode".

Also regarding Monaco qualifying, I really think Hamilton and Bottas did mega laps. Verstappens first attempt was apperently slower than his best Q2 effort and his second attempt was hindered by traffic on his out lap. The gap is exaggerated.

godlameroso

I think the gap at the beginning of the lap can be put down to cold tires. An unintended consequence of having less ability to divert airflow around the tires means the front tires receive more cooling. Partly why it's harder to find the window as far as using suspension settings to get the tires working when they should. The cars are close enough that whoever is in front will control the race, so not much left but some qualifying improvements and race starts for victories to become a tangible goal.
Saishū kōnā

Bill
Bill

If you look at Gasly sector 1 times last year in a Str did 18.700 , one year later in the mighty Rbr he did pretty much the same time the only conclusion is that Rbr are still having tire warmup issues which have been plugin them or Honda 3 or 4 subsequent pu development have been rubbish.

KelsO
KelsO

ME4ME wrote:
31 May 2019, 23:02

It's worth considering that both can be true, don't you think?
Very possible that they are fastest in most corners, yet still gain 3 tenths from Q2 to Q3 because of their "party mode".

Also regarding Monaco qualifying, I really think Hamilton and Bottas did mega laps. Verstappens first attempt was apperently slower than his best Q2 effort and his second attempt was hindered by traffic on his out lap. The gap is exaggerated.
Maybe, but I don't think that's true. This is not visible on the telemetry.
If you look at the Ham / Vettel telemetry, Ferrari has a huge advantage on straight line, this is the case where you can say that the "party mode" is an advantage.
https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_vet.png
In the case of Max and Lewis, there is a very small difference. Hamilton is especially good at the 3rd and 4th turn of the first sector, where he gains a lot of time. But he is also faster in 5 more corners. If we look at the Ham / Bottas telemetry, we see that Lewis was really good, the speed in the corners was the same, but he still slowed down later and accelerated earlier.
https://unendinginsight.files.wordpress ... vs_bot.png
I think Red Bull really lacked Ricardo, especially in Monaco, where he is very good. Yes, Max is very fast, but he got into a lot of accidents here, maybe he was a little more cautious than usual?
Finally:
When you lose so much in the two corners, it’s stupid to say (I’m talking about Marco) that you lose 3 tenths in the first sector because of the engine.Maybe this is the usual Marco game when he puts pressure.

Sieper

Max outqualified Ric by a half a second in 2017 in Monaco.

For me it is very clear Mercs advantage is the overcapacity of their engine, party mode. They (Bottas as well as Hamilton) always improve from Q2 to Q3, circuit dependent but always half a second or even more. RBR usually improves much less from Q2 to Q3.

KelsO
KelsO

Sieper wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 23:03
Max outqualified Ric by a half a second in 2017 in Monaco.

For me it is very clear Mercs advantage is the overcapacity of their engine, party mode. They (Bottas as well as Hamilton) always improve from Q2 to Q3, circuit dependent but always half a second or even more. RBR usually improves much less from Q2 to Q3.
Improving the party mode is directly dependent on the chassis. The better your chassis, the later you will include full power. You can not directly compare the improvement in lap time (the difference between Q1, Q2 and Q3) with the inclusion of party mode, otherwise you might think that Ferrari has a bad engine. But of course not, they just have a bad chassis and they have to turn on the party mode earlier than Mercedes.
Yes, I forgot 2017. Sorry. However