2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
foneFanatiq

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Does Honda currently have the “party mode”. I’ve heard some reports saying they do and others saying it’s coming soon.

etusch

foneFanatiq wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 01:45
Does Honda currently have the “party mode”. I’ve heard some reports saying they do and others saying it’s coming soon.
What I derived from what I have read they have a mode but not as powerfull as rivals at front. They are working with Redbull on it. So they will use oil burning and this party mode is the mode which is in coming I think.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

foneFanatiq wrote:
No! Honda do not have Party Mode. Party mode has far more influence in the differential than on the engine. Their engine will have push to pass however, which only lacks one crucial difference.

ispano6

Slo Poke wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 01:17
foneFanatiq wrote:
No! Honda do not have Party Mode. Party mode has far more influence in the differential than on the engine. Their engine will have push to pass however, which only lacks one crucial difference.
What's this party mode you speak of? An exploitation of a grey area of the regulations Honda is yet to tap into? Marko already said Honda has a party mode, so perhaps you're talking about something different? Honda did ask for clarification so maybe they will bring something relating to oil burning. But anyway, Honda probably doesn't deal with the differential.

hurril
hurril

Slo Poke wrote:
28 May 2019, 13:50
NL_Fer wrote:
27 May 2019, 16:55
I suspect Mercedes also gained some rear traction in de the suspension design. They were burning rear tyres during the races in 2013. They seem to manage it in 2014-2018, but this year they are so quick in slow corners. Redbull suspension designers have some homework to do.
The Mercedes grip and acceleration out off corners has nothing to do with suspension. It's what’s in the differential that sets them apart from all others presently. Ferrari had similar last year but sadly it slipped away from them!
This is interesting. Would you like to elaborate a little on this?

godlameroso

He's talking about 'diff magic'

One thing I noticed on Bottas onboard lap in Spain was how loose the car was on corner entry. Braking into slow corners one would get the sense the car wanted to oversteer heavily.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

Red Bull recently introduced new front brake discs and calipers. These carbon fibre discs feature even more cooling holes than previously – in excess of 1,400, as seen in the image above. This will bring specific benefit at Montreal this coming weekend, for the Canadian track ranks among the very toughest test of brakes seen all season.

The man-made island circuit features a combination of slow corners interconnected by bursts of high-speed straights. This in itself implies a heavy braking energy, but what makes it particularly tough is that, in contrast to Monza for example, the straights are not long enough to allow the brakes to adequately cool before having to be used again.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... zP0Nt.html
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

Ferrari trying to destabilize Red Bull, like McLaren did to Toro Rosso. Italian press say Hulk rumours, now this.
RED BULL chief Helmut Marko has confirmed Ferrari have made an approach for their technical staff
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... n-Hamilton

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

godlameroso wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 14:52

One thing I noticed on Bottas onboard lap in Spain was how loose the car was on corner entry. Braking into slow corners one would get the sense the car wanted to oversteer heavily.
In no particular order.
Godlameroso: You’re right I was making reference concerning ‘diff magic’ however Magic is not reality. I will admit there’s a certain magnetic irresistibly about it as all other teams will need to follow suit but as yet cannot! Your reference about Bottas in Spain has to be based on his delving beyond limits prior to car setup or some other reason unknown to me. Diff Magic, as coined, also goes by another moniker ‘rear wheel steer’ and that caught Ferrari out who quickly binned their iteration of the system. Rear wheel steer is a misnomer as it doesn’t work as the moniker implies but as a maintainer of neutrality at all times.

Hurril: Apologies, for leaving you hanging for so long. I’ve been very busy. It is not, nor will it ever be my intention to make a tantalising statement and simply leave at that but your request for elaboration poses quite a problem. I can vaguely confirm that it’s electrical in adjustability and governability, which renders it therefore tunable to track specification within the appropriate setup modes.
That is all I am willing to state at this time. In a few weeks or after a month or thereabouts I fully intend to blow the gaff,.. be patient!

Ispano6: Apologies again for time it’s taken to reply. Honda does not, other than needing verification on gear ratios, have anything at all to do with the differential. Oil burning has far more to do with rear tyre rubber preservation than power output per se. There may be a very meagre amount to be gained but not enough to mess with. Whatever Mr. Marko or anyone else may have said, it isn’t worth a jot! Exploitation concerning a grey area Honda have yet to tap into has nothing to do with regulation.

Wynters
Wynters

Verstappen team radio for the Monaco GP. He was clearly managing an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZzuZLiQfp0
Last edited by Wynters on 05 Jun 2019, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

Slo Poke wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 17:07
godlameroso wrote:

In no particular order.
Godlameroso: You’re right I was making reference concerning ‘diff magic’ however Magic is not reality. I will admit there’s a certain magnetic irresistibly about it as all other teams will need to follow suit but as yet cannot! Your reference about Bottas in Spain has to be based on his delving beyond limits prior to car setup or some other reason unknown to me. Diff Magic, as coined, also goes by another moniker ‘rear wheel steer’ and that caught Ferrari out who quickly binned their iteration of the system. Rear wheel steer is a misnomer as it doesn’t work as the moniker implies but as a maintainer of neutrality at all times.

Hurril: Apologies, for leaving you hanging for so long. I’ve been very busy. It is not, nor will it ever be my intention to make a tantalising statement and simply leave at that but your request for elaboration poses quite a problem. I can vaguely confirm that it’s electrical in adjustability and governability, which renders it therefore tunable to track specification within the appropriate setup modes.
That is all I am willing to state at this time. In a few weeks or after a month or thereabouts I fully intend to blow the gaff,.. be patient!

Ispano6: Apologies again for time it’s taken to reply. Honda does not, other than needing verification on gear ratios, have anything at all to do with the differential. Oil burning has far more to do with rear tyre rubber preservation than power output per se. There may be a very meagre amount to be gained but not enough to mess with. Whatever Mr. Marko or anyone else may have said, it isn’t worth a jot! Exploitation concerning a grey area Honda have yet to tap into has nothing to do with regulation.
If you look at Hamilton's onboard he also seems to be fighting entry oversteer, particularly near the end of the lap before the final turn, he has a big oversteer moment nearly losing the car.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

ispano6

Slo Poke wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

In no particular order.

So what happens when you burn oil? The tires automatically warm up? I'm not seeing this correlation that you've described. Since we're talking about diffs, it seems that the diff is super loose in order to be able to change direction in the manner described. Is it possible that the diff gradually locks or tightens at higher speeds?

"Exploitation concerning a grey area Honda have yet to tap into has nothing to do with regulation."

I beg to differ. The regulations, or lack there of, is a grey area that Honda has specifically asked for clarification.
If it has nothing to do with regulation, what does it have to do with? Dumb luck?

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

godlameroso wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 20:15
Slo Poke wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

In no particular order.

If you look at Hamilton's onboard he also seems to be fighting entry oversteer, particularly near the end of the lap before the final turn, he has a big oversteer moment nearly losing the car.
Godlameroso:
The Mercedes drivers I suspect are as yet still plumbing the depths of their relatively new toys. Both will be by now conversant with front axle semi-floating caster, which in essence is manipulated by brake application. The corner you have specified follows a slower corner/chicane and the car will be under acceleration from it. In order to counter the situation of high acceleration being used towards a corner that requires manipulation of caster to maximise speed through that corner a gentle application of brakes needs to be used to tip the caster angle forward. As I’ve said it only needs a very gentle application but as with anything new there exist distractions and the newer toy behind him sitting in the differential is such that it tried to catch him out.
I noticed an oddity with Bottas on entry to that same corner. He was heading to apex nicely and then the rear of his car appeared to suddenly squat down, which surprised me! Now why did that happen? I had to wonder until I slowly became convinced that what I'm trying to convey to you now is probably similar to what happened to the pair of them.
You know Barcelona is a track reputed to have two specific corners in which a lot of drivers tend to employ a very unorthodox method to go through quickly, in that they all use both acceleration and brake usage at one and the same time. I know turn nine is one of them the other could well be the corner in question.
There’s something else pertaining to all this and that’s a nod to Adrian Newey. I am not messing around here as Newey’s front axle has been around for some time now and Mercedes had to be enlightened to it. It isn’t anything at all they’ve thought up. In stating that it’s no detriment to them as it’s meant as a compliment to Newey. That man must have realised that with so many driver’s applying application to both pedals at the same time that something was going on! What? He has to have wondered and hey presto floating caster, all derived from the deformation of front axle rubber. Now that’s interesting!

IvailoStefanovBG

@ Slo Poke - Obviously you have something in mind about this "diff magic"mode and " the newer toy behind him sitting in the differential". Can you explain me technically what you think this new toy consists of?