2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Come on guys. It was just qualifications and race is ahead.

etusch

Ricci explain their strategy
“I expect a good start, jump inside the top three, get some TV time, and then we’ll see! I’m sure after a few laps the mediums will start to build and build and the soft is going to fade, but that’s where we need to be smart and pit at the right time and go from there.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... t/4460653/

Marti_EF3

What is funny is that when something goes wrong (qualy, etc) blame is always on Honda. The obsession with "everything is only Honda fault" is becoming sickly #-o

Bill

Honda is a Japanese company playing on European turf off course they won't be treated equally, Renault has pu reliability issues earlier this season they went under the radar like nothing major was going on if that was Honda the world would have turned upside down and then they is the obviously Mclaren past which some people haven't got over

GhostF1

No what's funny is, as soon as something that can be pawned off as a Honda issue arises, there are 2 or 3 usual suspects that's find their way over to the Honda threads and start trolling.

It's pretty amusing. I find it particularly amusing they keep throwing salt. The Renault is the best it's been and I think we all agree they and Honda are extremely close, but their reliability has been highly questionable. Several issues. ICE and ERS.

Anyway, it's a single compromised qualifying people are being judgmental about. Honda's top speed looks fine. So we'll see how the race goes.

McMika98

No blame here but the hard facts and truth in that Renault engine now have caught up with the front runners as demonstrated by the quali times. Honda finds itself now behind all three manufacturers.
The alarms should be raised now because the nexr few races will expose this even more. Renault have not brought any updates on the car and suddenly they are as within few tenths of Ferrari and Mercedes suggests their quali mode is for real. No way is their car as good as Ferrari or Mercedes but to be so close suggests the engine is the real deal. Sadly same cant be said for Honda. So damm disappointed.
Last edited by McMika98 on 09 Jun 2019, 13:36, edited 2 times in total.

Marti_EF3

GhostF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:25
No what's funny is, as soon as something that can be pawned off as a Honda issue arises, there are 2 or 3 usual suspects that's find their way over to the Honda threads and start trolling.

It's pretty amusing. I find it particularly amusing they keep throwing salt. The Renault is the best it's been and I think we all agree they and Honda are extremely close, but their reliability has been highly questionable. Several issues. ICE and ERS.

Anyway, it's a single compromised qualifying people are being judgmental about. Honda's top speed looks fine. So we'll see how the race goes.
Yeah, tires and chassis issues are irrelevant and Honda's fault. Also they are to blame for bad strategies from RB due to their poor performance... :lol:

Marti_EF3

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:34
No blame here but the hard facts and truth in that Renault engine now have caught up with the front runners as demonstrated by the quali times. Honda finds itself now behind all three manufacturers.
The alarms should be raised now because the nexr few races will expose this even more. Renault have not brought any updates on the car and suddenly they are as within few tenths of Ferrari and Mercedes suggests their quali mode is for real. No way is their car as good as Ferrari or Mercedes but to be so close suggests the engine is the real deal. Sadly same cant be said for Honda. So damm disappointed.
I think you're over reacting with only one bad qualifying. Both STR and Max were on their fast lap when Magnussen crashed... And even with that, I think that Honda are better on race than on quali at the moment. Wait until the race finishes, and then we will discuss with better arguments.

damager21

Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:45
McMika98 wrote:
I think you're over reacting with only one bad qualifying. Both STR and Max were on their fast lap when Magnussen crashed... And even with that, I think that Honda are better on race than on quali at the moment. Wait until the race finishes, and then we will discuss with better arguments.
I agree. Red Bull-Honda is way better than what we see on the Quali times. Gasly lost time as is evident in his Q3 stint video. Without that he would have been closer to Top 4. I can only imagine what Max would have done if he was in Q3.

Coming to Race, I expect a strong show from Max
1. Max will start from 9th instead of 11th because of penalties for Sainz & Kevin, so already 2 place up with tyre choice
2. Max could start on brand new Hard or brand new Soft tyres - so both options are available. I expect him to start on Hard tyres
3. Expect safety car moments which will help bring the field together
4. The likes of Riccardo, Gasly, Hulkenberg and Norris will pit very early so even if Max does not make a good start, he will in No time end up 5th

The only worrying factor is top speed of all 4 Renault powered cars making it difficult for Max to overtake

Marti_EF3

damager21 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:25
Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:45
McMika98 wrote:
I agree. Red Bull-Honda is way better than what we see on the Quali times. Gasly lost time as is evident in his Q3 stint video. Without that he would have been closer to Top 4. I can only imagine what Max would have done if he was in Q3.

Coming to Race, I expect a strong show from Max
1. Max will start from 9th instead of 11th because of penalties for Sainz & Kevin, so already 2 place up with tyre choice
2. Max could start on brand new Hard or brand new Soft tyres - so both options are available. I expect him to start on Hard tyres
3. Expect safety car moments which will help bring the field together
4. The likes of Riccardo, Gasly, Hulkenberg and Norris will pit very early so even if Max does not make a good start, he will in No time end up 5th

The only worrying factor is top speed of all 4 Renault powered cars making it difficult for Max to overtake
RBR are only 2-4kph slower on the speed trap. It's not a problem if the front car don't have drs or a tow. Also the STR are near the 330kmh mark, so the differences are on the aero side rather than engine side. If Max manage to pass the midfielders soon enough, it will be a chance to at least fight with Leclerc and maybe Bottas. He needs clear air as soon as possible. And maybe if Gasly with the soft can overtake someone on the start, and block some top car to not go away. It would be great

PhillipM

He's got to start on hards, if he starts on softs he's going to get stuck behind the Mclaren that can probably go as long or longer on the soft even with older tyres.
If they don't have DRS he'll be fine, but if the others are towing them around to save tyres he won't have the power to go past.
Last edited by PhillipM on 09 Jun 2019, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

McMika98 wrote:
For me, my way of thinking that, after all Honda is third best engine news and talks and montreal has long straight and is a power circuit, Renault planned to show one race or maybe just qualification advertorial, a short movie for showing how powerful they are. They were very lucky because of Redbull strategy and and Haas accident. Because Gasly is just .08 away from Ricci with his so much experience. Gasly was very close to P3 but at the end it is p5. Even you can not expect this position for Ricci if Verstappen were there at Q3. Let's see the race. All qualification point to Renault. Wish a nice 4 hours more to you man.

ispano6

McMika98 wrote:
YOU are the usual suspect. YOU are the example of McLaren arrogance. So yeah, what Claire Williams said.

McMika98

Yeah i was hoping for Redbull podiums and Toro rosso top8. Especially given how good TR chassis has been on recent tracks. Here they are behind on all speed traces and Renault cars on top on most. Just unbearable to think that this will case for next few races.
Lets see what the race pans out, id be amazed if Gasly is in top 6 on merit. Renault cant just turn the wick for one race, else Honda would have done it as well. Merc and Ferrari are at the limits of peak power and Renault now has shown they can get there, Honda still lagging.

ME4ME

I also think Verstappen will do a Hard-Soft strategy. He didn't seem to like the Mediums particulary well, so I think RBR will avoid them. Also it suits the team well to go for an aggressive 2nd stint.

I'm pretty sure Max will make quick work of Gasly in the race, the pace gap is that big between them. I'm all for giving an inexperienced F1 driver time to adapt, but Gasly is in my opinion on the boarder of ending his F1 career. Progress isn't good enough. He's basically the next Vandoorne: highly successfull pre-Formula 1 but ultimately exposed and beaten by a superior driver. Incidentely the more I see Verstappen drive, the more I think of Alonso in his prime. The only thing Max and RB still have to sort are the race starts.

Should be good fun today, although a podium is surely out of the question.