2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
TNTHead

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

If i may jump in the conversation to add that the rule change, simplified front wing, no blown front axle also contribute to a loss chassis wise for RB, not only a different PU.

I suspect that front tire wake under steering especially is hard to straighten out, with less outwash front wing and new front axle. This leads to less and less stable downforce at the rear. I am still wondering why / how Mercedes has made this better performing than RB / Fer.

I imagine it only takes time for Newey to tackle this. After that we even may see Gasly in better shape. He might be a driver who is performing only superb when handling and balance is perfect.

langedweil

TNTHead wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 22:21
If i may jump in the conversation to add that the rule change, simplified front wing, no blown front axle also contribute to a loss chassis wise for RB, not only a different PU.

I suspect that front tire wake under steering especially is hard to straighten out, with less outwash front wing and new front axle. This leads to less and less stable downforce at the rear.
When I first heard the 2019 regulations with the simplified wings (and thus outwash) I could only think .. "well, so much for your short wheelbase and high rake, this means basically you'd have to follow the Merc interpretation" ..
Which in itself would always be deemed useless as Merc has had about 5/6 yrs more knowledge about that principle (more DF from larger floor).
Was kinda surprised though when the RB15 appeard to stick to the high rake philosopy.
Then again, my aero knowledge doesn't go really much furter than biking faster by shaving my bald head .. so don't take it too seriously.
Hopefully Newey has something up the sleeve. Max stated somewhere that even tiny changes might have a huge influence on tire temps and overall driveability, so there's not much more to do to than wait and see what they've come up with.
HuggaWugga !

Alexf1
Alexf1

If RB (or any other team) didn't have a clue how Merc managed to gain so much more than the rest of the field this year they would inquire FIA on a daily basis like Merc did when Ferrari was gaining on the engine side last year. I think RB knows and is developing without letting others in on it.

nzjrs

Alexf1 wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 11:10
If RB (or any other team) didn't have a clue how Merc managed to gain so much more than the rest of the field this year they would inquire FIA on a daily basis like Merc did when Ferrari was gaining on the engine side last year. I think RB knows and is developing without letting others in on it.
I think if you watch the cars out on track the Merc this year rides the curbs like an absolute beast - much better than RB last year, which was already impressive. This contributing to the already impressive change of direction of Merc is really what has made the difference in my opinion. Traction out of corners is also good.

So if I was RB I would be focusing my photographers on suspension and my engineers on differential and suspension improvements.

It's interesting to see the things Merc hides, their inboard front suspension secrecy is higher than other terms I think, and they are quite radio quiet about differential and drive things. Hopefully they bin it into the wall so we / RB can see some insides.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Teams pay good money to photographers who manage to take a picture of the part of the competitor they want to see. They even send them out on specific assignments. Chances are big that between mid feb and now a photographer has had an opportunity already.

nzjrs

Alexf1 wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 13:46
Teams pay good money to photographers who manage to take a picture of the part of the competitor they want to see. They even send them out on specific assignments. Chances are big that between mid feb and now a photographer has had an opportunity already.
Yeah I'm aware. I was speaking in generalities - speculating about what is interesting.

gokarter
gokarter

i wonder if redbull shorter wheelbase is the reason for their aero unstability like they said. maybe redbull should try a longer wheelbase as an expriment for these new tyres soon

godlameroso

Wheelbase is impossible to change this year. I don't think a few cm of wheelbase will make a huge difference.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

godlameroso wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 15:40
Wheelbase is impossible to change this year. I don't think a few cm of wheelbase will make a huge difference.
Lotus did it at Monza while Kimi was driving for them. I think it was 2012. Basically they just moved the front suspension forwards.

godlameroso

That will not change the length of the tub itself, which is why you'd do it in the first place. I honestly think that the new rules and the new tires which are stiffer have hurt the way this car deals with air, and also with keeping heat in the tires. The car is chasing what seems to be a moving window, if they change one thing it affects things in other places, so finding the right combination, and the right geometry is itself a challenge. Meanwhile Mercedes has already unlocked what works and simply develops it, so others are chasing to first get on the same level of understanding, then to develop that understanding. They have to progress at double the rate of someone who is better funded and that itself is a challenge.

But luckily the have a committed partner in Honda, and I'm sure they're working flat out to increase power. The aero and power will come, again will it be enough? Mercedes won't stand still, and being able to win again both Honda and Red Bull would be pulling off a heroic feat that not even the mighty Ferrari has been able to match.
Saishū kōnā

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

godlameroso wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 19:50
the new tires which are stiffer
What do you mean by stiffer? Do you mean harder? As in the compounds are harder?

godlameroso

The construction itself is stiffer, ie stiffer sidewalls, less deflection. This alone wreaks havoc with the suspension kinematics, but also aerodynamically.
Saishū kōnā

Bill
Bill

Pu upgrades confirmed I hope it shuts all those Renault goons

Hino
Hino

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

godlameroso wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 21:36
The construction itself is stiffer, ie stiffer sidewalls, less deflection. This alone wreaks havoc with the suspension kinematics, but also aerodynamically.
Are they? I hadn't heard about that, I know the the tread thickness has changed but i haven't seen any evidence that they changed their construction of the sidewalls etc to make them thicker.

Have you got any sources for this?