2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 21:57
Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 21:48
Source?
Helmut Marko in front of the camera of the ORF.

"The faster engine, we did not use that today."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHeztqp ... u.be&t=238
Capharol wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 10:23
Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 22:06
lio007 wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 21:43
What??? Where did you get this information?
@Lio007, you are from Austria. I think you must know and understand the ORF. :P
Marko: .... then he saying it wasn't the faster engine(not using the word spec 3 or anything like that, just "faster engine"),we thought it wouldn't help us much from the back.

Why are you posting this sentence? I don't understand the purpose.
The Power of Dreams!

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

Appearntly none of the RBR drivers drove with the Spec-4, Horner said in an interview that they swapped back to the Spec-2 engine for the Qualy and Race for Max and Alex, so both were driving the Spec-2 engine.

Source "Dutch article": https://racingnews365.nl/red-bull-zette ... -gp-belgie

Edit:
And Max supposedly drove the Spec-2 in Hungary as well.

Marti_EF3

ThumbsUp wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 12:12
Appearntly none of the RBR drivers drove with the Spec-4, Horner said in an interview that they swapped back to the Spec-2 engine for the Qualy and Race for Max and Alex, so both were driving the Spec-2 engine.

Edit:
Spec 2 or 3?? Because if it's spec 2, friday unit is the Australia Spec 1 PU :wtf:

P.S. : What I don't get, is why the --- the media keeps saying that the Honda PU only lasts four or five GP. Only because they are rotating it to have fresher PU at the end. I supose it's to have some attention but.. They should be saving the Spec 3 for tracks like Singapore and Russia. Sacrifing tracks like Spa and Monza. And have the Spec 4 fresh for events like Japan
Last edited by Marti_EF3 on 02 Sep 2019, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
Bill

So spec 2 demolished Mercedes in qualifying in Hungary that amusing maybe they would have won the race if they used spec 3

Capharol
Capharol

Wouter wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:03
Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 21:57

Helmut Marko in front of the camera of the ORF.

"The faster engine, we did not use that today."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHeztqp ... u.be&t=238
Capharol wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 10:23
Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 22:06

@Lio007, you are from Austria. I think you must know and understand the ORF. :P
Marko: .... then he saying it wasn't the faster engine(not using the word spec 3 or anything like that, just "faster engine"),we thought it wouldn't help us much from the back.

Why are you posting this sentence? I don't understand the purpose.

typo mistake should have said was and not wasn't
I probably wanted to write wasn't the spec 4 and mixed something up .... i am so sorry your highness

IvailoStefanovBG

Actually when it was clear that Redbull underestimated Honda power and need more DF I wondered how they will handle even more power that is coming with spec 4.....Now it`s clear that they even used spec 2 in Hungary and on Spa. Can it be related to DF problem and actually more power from engine will create more unbalanced car? And if that`s true we have to wait a big car upgrade which can handle engine`s power...? And they are saving spec 3 and spec 4 life for later when upgrade will come because as Marco said it wont make big difference?

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 12:19
ThumbsUp wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 12:12

Edit:
Spec 2 or 3?? Because if it's spec 2, friday unit is the Australia Spec 1 PU :wtf:

P.S. : What I don't get, is why the --- the media keeps saying that the Honda PU only lasts four or five GP. Only because they are rotating it to have fresher PU at the end. I supose it's to have some attention but.. They should be saving the Spec 3 for tracks like Singapore and Russia. Sacrifing tracks like Spa and Monza. And have the Spec 4 fresh for events like Japan
The article definitely says the Spec-2 engine

"Opvallend daarbij is dat er geen gebruik werd gemaakt van de krachtigere spec 3-motor die tijdens het GP-weekend in Frankrijk werd geïntroduceerd. Afgaande op de woorden van Verstappen reed hij ook in Hongarije al met de spec 2-motor ("Ik rijd dit weekend met dezelfde motor als in Hongarije")"

Freely Translated:
"Note worthy is that they didn't used the more powerfull Spec-3 engine that got introduced in the GP-weekend of France. Listend to the words of Verstappen, he drove in Hungary with the Spec-2 engine ("I'll drive the same engine as in Hungary" quoted Max)"

Marti_EF3

And how the Spec 2 was used, if the wastegate pipes configuration is what we saw with Spec 3 and the TC changes?

Something strange going on there.

Capharol
Capharol

now i am totally lost....
They have a spec 3 & 4 available
supposedly they brought Spec 3 in Hungary and everybody hailing the spec 3 of Honda

now once of a sudden, RB used the Spec 2 engine in Hungary and Spa, although Albon took a penalty for the Spec 4
and isn't it so that if a new spec is introduced the old one falls out of the pool ?

i am confused and hope someone can shine a light on what is what and where did RB uses what .....

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Capharol wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 13:16
now i am totally lost....
They have a spec 3 & 4 available
supposedly they brought Spec 3 in Hungary and everybody hailing the spec 3 of Honda

now once of a sudden, RB used the Spec 2 engine in Hungary and Spa, although Albon took a penalty for the Spec 4
and isn't it so that if a new spec is introduced the old one falls out of the pool ?

i am confused and hope someone can shine a light on what is what and where did RB uses what .....
They can keep and re-use all the Power Unit Elements that have been introduced during the year, however they feel it's required, combined as they wish. Nothing ''falls out of pool'' along the way, as long as it's in working condition.

Marti_EF3

They may be playing with spec 2, 3 and now 4 to avoid more penalties on the remaining 8 races. Only Max left to have a penalty at Monza, and straight away until the end. Using spec 3 and 4 on races they know will suit them best.

Using spec 2 at Hungary where power is less relevant makes sense, and then using Spec 2 at SPA. Knowing that anyway they wont be able to fight Ferrari and Merc , and not adding miles to the Spec 3 and 4. They tested it with Kvyat, and was pretty impressive. All what they wanted to know. What also is impressive, is that Spec 2 have done now a lot of races. And was good enough to fight with Ferrari and Merc powered cars at Spa :wtf:
Last edited by Marti_EF3 on 02 Sep 2019, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

loner

obviously they want to reach Abudhabi with no farther penalties.
MAX crash in SPA played against their calculations so another points drop in Monza for finishing 5th.. but from Singapore on i think there is a possibility to surpass the 5 wins they set before season begin.
para bellum.

Jambier

And I assume that the difference between spec is not that huge.

So they can play with their pool and make even more comparison

Capharol
Capharol

then if they really used the spec 2 in Hungary and at Spa, i wonder how much power Spec 3 and 4 really has, and with this i don't mean these bogy numbers every site spits out
@Jambier every time they bring a new spec, numbers are swirling around that they have x hp more as the previous one .... so there must be a big gain lying around in these specs

Big Tea

Capharol wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 13:33
then if they really used the spec 2 in Hungary and at Spa, i wonder how much power Spec 3 and 4 really has, and with this i don't mean these bogy numbers every site spits out
@Jambier every time they bring a new spec, numbers are swirling around that they have x hp more as the previous one .... so there must be a big gain lying around in these specs
It is not just power, some upgrades are for driveability, reliability, economy or even weight or packaging.
It is a minefield to follow
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.