2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

New ZOOM F1 poster for Belgian GP. You can get one from here
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Maritimer
Maritimer

Liberty need to be putting out media like this themselves

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Tzk
Tzk

I guess that was the logical choice. Bottas isn't the best driver ever but he delivers (mostly) and is a great #2 driver.

Now: Ocon to Renault and Hulk out?

izzy
izzy

So why do we think they still only signed Valtteri for one year when Renault have Esteban for 2?

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Cause maybe George Russell is an option to swap Valteri out for?

godlameroso

That is the projected path forward, Russell definitely has the skills to keep Mercedes competitive on the driver front.
Saishū kōnā

izzy
izzy

digitalrurouni wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 16:16
Yeeesss, it's just that he's signed with Williams thru 2021 and everyone's said they're sticking with that. Plus he's only 21 and Esteban is too young at 22 apparently

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

izzy wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 17:34
digitalrurouni wrote:
Yeeesss, it's just that he's signed with Williams thru 2021 and everyone's said they're sticking with that. Plus he's only 21 and Esteban is too young at 22 apparently
Oh interesting. Was not aware of that. Hmm

izzy
izzy

digitalrurouni wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 17:37
izzy wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 17:34
digitalrurouni wrote:
Oh interesting. Was not aware of that. Hmm
But one scenario it does fit i suppose is Lewis to Ferrari in 2021, Max to Mercedes... :shock:

Big Tea

I think Bottas was the right choice, besides I like him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dtro
dtro

I don't think Mercedes will find another Hamilton with their driver program. Out of Bottas, Ocon, and Russell only one has won races in F1. Hamilton came in to Mercedes essentially a complete package, experienced, proven on track, a WC already. Now Mercedes, having gone down the RB route of grooming young drivers now have to justify this program by promoting drivers that have question marks and asterisks next to their names.

Unless MV joins the team alongside Hamilton, their driver lineup over the following couple years looks fairly questionable. Bottas Hamilton works but Bottas isn't really Hamilton level, Hamilton Russell too early and Russell breaks, Ocon being hired by/on loan out to Renault means he gets a chance to prove himself (again) but he's also shown questionable decision making abilities on track.

My 2 cents.

Phil

I am convinced the signing of Bottas has all to do with a pre-agreement with Max Verstappen for 2020 at Mercedes.

Signing Bottas enables them to do that deal - a easy one year extension.

Ocon would not have signed a one year deal, hence they had to let him go [to Renault].

The big question for me, is if Max would actually drive for Mercedes if Hamilton is still there (assumption being Hamilton is offered a contract beyond 2020 and Hamilton agrees). The other interesting thought is; what if RedBull-Honda is so good next year that it would be foolish to leave them?

To me, what happens at RedBull will be very telling. Knowing how important Max is to them, i would expect them to pay top dollar to retain him at all costs. If he indeed signed some agreement with Mercedes for 2020, i wonder what RedBull will do to fill that void. Gasly, albon or Kvyat can hardly be the answer.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

marmer
marmer

ocon would have signd a one year deal to race at Merc fairly sure most drivers would do it for free if give the option.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare