2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

_cerber1 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 15:05
proteus wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 14:59
Norris will recieve 225k EUR for 2019, Sainz 3,5 mil.
Lando works for food. :lol:
Well, all rookie drivers get paid peanuts more or less for their first season.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

f1rules
f1rules

Wow thats really high,
Im sure both mclaren pilots has a points scoring bonus that increase incom potential significantly
proteus wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 15:05
f1rules wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 15:03
I seriously hope vandoorne did not get 7mill that would the biggest waste of money in mclaren history
Aparently he did, unless the info is wrong.

M840TR
M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 13:13
Sponsors for 2019

https://radikal.ru
Sponsors and partners.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't think I'd be too upset if someone said I could do a season in F1 but they'd *only* pay me 225k....

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 17:24
I don't think I'd be too upset if someone said I could do a season in F1 but they'd *only* pay me 225k....
Would that be 'all' the earnings? I'm sure there would be 'moonlighters' to do in their own time for which are paid as a result of being a Mclaren f1 driver.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

f1rules wrote:
I seriously hope vandoorne did not get 7mill that would the biggest waste of money in mclaren history
very bad return of investment indeed
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

proteus

PhillipM wrote:
I agree.

proteus

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:10
f1rules wrote:
Alonso was not a great investment either. Even with another driver like Vandoorne, they would lose less prize money than they had to pay Alonso (135mill. for 4 seasons).

Since they were midfielders at best, Alonso was far too expensive to have. More than 30 millions of EUR per season could have been dedicated into R&D instead into pocket of Alonso.

But i dont know how much merchendise were they able to sell due to the Alonso fanbase. Maybe it covered up and even made a plus. If not, than he was much less beneficial to the team.

Peter1919
Peter1919

But apparently Honda covered Alonso's sallary for the first 3 years, obviously last season they didn't but I think Alonso agreed to reduced terms and some payment in Kimoa sponsorship

PhillipM
PhillipM

Big Tea wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:00
Would that be 'all' the earnings? I'm sure there would be 'moonlighters' to do in their own time for which are paid as a result of being a Mclaren f1 driver.
IIRC at one point Hamilton was earning 3x his wages just in sponsorship, merchandise and event payments.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Big Tea wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
He'll be able to do marketing with other companies to a certain extent (depends on what's in his contract), if McLaren have produced a better car and the Renault PU is also improved then you'd likely see Lando's marketing value increase, especially if he performs well on track. Given how desperate McLaren are for sponsors these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they let both drivers have a bit more freedom in the kinds of sponsorship deals they can strike.

marmer
marmer

taperoo2k wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 19:21
Big Tea wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
He'll be able to do marketing with other companies to a certain extent (depends on what's in his contract), if McLaren have produced a better car and the Renault PU is also improved then you'd likely see Lando's marketing value increase, especially if he performs well on track. Given how desperate McLaren are for sponsors these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they let both drivers have a bit more freedom in the kinds of sponsorship deals they can strike.
McLaren under Zak seem more flexible with sponsor than they where under Ron or whitmarsh

Would be interesting now that they are a bigger car company than ever before if they see the McLaren brand as effectively a sponsor and take a value into account. So while they might not have a huge sponsor they do in a way

proteus

proteus wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:30
Manoah2u wrote:
f1rules wrote:
Alonso was not a great investment either. Even with another driver like Vandoorne, they would lose less prize money than they had to pay Alonso (135mill. for 4 seasons).

Since they were midfielders at best, Alonso was far too expensive to have. More than 30 millions of EUR per season could have been dedicated into R&D instead into pocket of Alonso.

But i dont know how much merchendise were they able to sell due to the Alonso fanbase. Maybe it covered up and even made a plus. If not, than he was much less beneficial to the team.
@M840TR - what was false in my statement? I would really like to know why someone like you downvotes somebody, without a reasonable justification and a decent reply?

I see no problem with downvoting me if my post deserves a downvote, but i dont see where did i cross the line, especially since you failed to present facts that would show my post as false?

I am natural born sceptic and i never ever blindly follow majority of people thinking something. I rather stay away and analyze for myself. And what i saw, was that all of the things happening in Mclaren in last 4 seasons with Alonso onboard, it more or less hurt them one way or another.

In 2015, Mclaren was terrible car on the grid, 9th overall - with or without Alonso, they would be there, so they would not lose any of the prize money not having him onboard.

In 2016, if we replace Alonso with another driver that would score as Button, They would lose only one place in the standings - so they would lose less money than Alonso was paid

In 2017 they were 9th, if we take Alonso away they would still be 9th.

Only in 2018 the effect would be seen much more, with them slipping to 9th and losing quite a chunk of money, but 2018 is atleast for me a whole different story.

In terms of prize money alone, he was costing the team more, than he was able to deliver.

My look at it was ofcourse not perfect, since i do not know how much he helped the team with the car, how much merchendise was sold because of him and how many sponsors came because of him. But on the other hand you clearly enjoy Vandoorne bashing by everybody even though noone of us even knows what was happening in the background and if his poor performance was completely his fault.

M840TR
M840TR

proteus wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 21:35
proteus wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 18:30
Manoah2u wrote:

@M840TR - what was false in my statement? I would really like to know why someone like you downvotes somebody, without a reasonable justification and a decent reply?

I see no problem with downvoting me if my post deserves a downvote, but i dont see where did i cross the line, especially since you failed to present facts that would show my post as false?

I am natural born sceptic and i never ever blindly follow majority of people thinking something. I rather stay away and analyze for myself. And what i saw, was that all of the things happening in Mclaren in last 4 seasons with Alonso onboard, it more or less hurt them one way or another.

In 2015, Mclaren was terrible car on the grid, 9th overall - with or without Alonso, they would be there, so they would not lose any of the prize money not having him onboard.

In 2016, if we replace Alonso with another driver that would score as Button, They would lose only one place in the standings - so they would lose less money than Alonso was paid

In 2017 they were 9th, if we take Alonso away they would still be 9th.

Only in 2018 the effect would be seen much more, with them slipping to 9th and losing quite a chunk of money, but 2018 is atleast for me a whole different story.

In terms of prize money alone, he was costing the team more, than he was able to deliver.

My look at it was ofcourse not perfect, since i do not know how much he helped the team with the car, how much merchendise was sold because of him and how many sponsors came because of him. But on the other hand you clearly enjoy Vandoorne bashing by everybody even though noone of us even knows what was happening in the background and if his poor performance was completely his fault.
If 2018 has told us anything it's that drivers make more difference than what people give them credit for. Just look at Mercedes, Hamilton has almost twice the points of Bottas. Without him they'd have no championships in 17 and 18. This is why teams go after top drivers with bags full of cash.
Mclaren went into 15,16,17 and 18 with hopes to win a championship and there was no better driver than Alonso to achieve that. They didn't have any money problems (rivaling the top 3 in terms of budget) till last year when Honda left. If they thought they could've done more without the sponsors, the PR, the morale boost, performance and consistency a double world champion and one of the best drivers in the sports history brings they would've done it.
This is why I hate needless Alonso bashing. He wasn't what was wrong with Mclaren even in 2007. It was the team itself which let him down.
As for Vandoorne, he's just not good enough, nothing else to say.

ME4ME

I'm sure those numbers are baseline salleries and they'll get paid several tens if not hundreds of thousands more per point scored.

Especially Sainz baseline -if correct- is very low. He has serveral years of experience afterall. It wasn't like he had much of a choice though, after Renault signed Ricciardo and Red Bull went for Gasly; Mclaren had all the leverage. With that said, regardless of his last name, I don't think Sainz Jnr is a very marketable driver. He's a bit anonymous, making up the numbers basically. He needs to put together a stronger season this year than he did in 2018 that's for sure.