2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
95
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Which track is likely to be stronger for McLaren, COTA or Mexico?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
317
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by PhillipM » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Probably Mexico.

M840TR
366
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by M840TR » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 pm

PhillipM wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm
Probably Mexico.
I mean, COTA should be decent as well besides S3 which probably doesn't suit the car.

RonDennis
41
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by RonDennis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Mexico, because of the Renault.

Andres125sx
313
User avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Andres125sx » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:22 pm

McLaren managed to finish ahead of Lecrerc´s Ferrari, and was consistently on RBR pace, ok a bit slower, but only a bit. These are two facts any McLaren supporter should be extremelly proud about. Obviously Lecrerc crash with Verstappen was the reason to finish behind, but I was sure he would pass Sainz again, but he didn´t!!

Even if it was thanks to an incident, we can´t expect a fight with top three teams when McLaren was 6th in WCC past season, but this was an evidence of the great job the team is doing, now they can fight with them when they have some unexpected problem, this was unconceivable past season

Step by step, this is the way to the top again

diffuser
168
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by diffuser » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Juzh wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:23 am
diffuser wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 pm
diffuser wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:17 pm

VMAX?
There is no VMax. The car is full throttle. Its generating electricity full out. If it runs out, 2 seconds later, it will have enough to re-engauge. Don't believe me? watch the STR when LeClerc is passing down around 180R. Flashing red lights all over the place on STR.

Don't BS yourself. Be factual and non bias.
You're dreaming mate. We're talking about quali laps here. And it's clear as day mclaren has ZERO charge left after 130R on that quali run. That's why it's forced to run both mgu-k and mgu-h in generator mode in order to recover energy for the run to the finish line after the chicane. Running mgu-k in generator mode when going full throttle, while providing lots of energy recovery (basically dumping fuel to fill the battery), is like holding on the brakes. It's obviously been calculated this is the best aproach given the limitations of renault PU, but is still far inferior to all other PUs on the grid, which the way I see it, only need to stop deployment, but dont need to run mgu-k in generator mode before the braking event as they have enough energy still in reserve.
I didn't say that the Renault PU didn't run out of electrical power. If you go back to the post from the other day, I actually said (I'm paraphrasing) "by looking at the speedometer and the rate of speed increase they were both going on and off the electricity down that section from turn 14 and turn 15". You were the one that said that RBR was killing McLaren in that section because Renault PU was running out of Power but Honda was not. Yet mcLaren was faster than all 4 cars with Honda PUs in that section in Quali.

SmallSoldier
83
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by SmallSoldier » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:26 pm

Andres125sx wrote:McLaren managed to finish ahead of Lecrerc´s Ferrari, and was consistently on RBR pace, ok a bit slower, but only a bit. These are two facts any McLaren supporter should be extremelly proud about. Obviously Lecrerc crash with Verstappen was the reason to finish behind, but I was sure he would pass Sainz again, but he didn´t!!

Even if it was thanks to an incident, we can´t expect a fight with top three teams when McLaren was 6th in WCC past season, but this was an evidence of the great job the team is doing, now they can fight with them when they have some unexpected problem, this was unconceivable past season

Step by step, this is the way to the top again
Yes, there are a lot of Silver Linings from Japan... The fact that the team scored points at Suzuka for the first time since 2014 is also great... McLaren was also the most improved team compared to 2018, 2.2 seconds better in Qualifying (expected, since they stopped developing the MCL33 by this point last season), but nevertheless really impressive.

Probably the highest point of the weekend was the fact that they were comfortably in P7-P8 in Qualifying... I believe this is one of the best qualifying results for the team considering no one had any penalties to deal with.

They seem to be getting to grips with the current car... I for one would hope that they maintain the current rules into 2021, since that will allow more convergence from the teams instead of a brand new concept... Following cars seems to have improved dramatically this season and a few changes would be better than a complete redesign (which should favor the top 3 regardless).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser
168
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by diffuser » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:52 pm

SmallSoldier wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:26 pm
Andres125sx wrote:McLaren managed to finish ahead of Lecrerc´s Ferrari, and was consistently on RBR pace, ok a bit slower, but only a bit. These are two facts any McLaren supporter should be extremelly proud about. Obviously Lecrerc crash with Verstappen was the reason to finish behind, but I was sure he would pass Sainz again, but he didn´t!!

Even if it was thanks to an incident, we can´t expect a fight with top three teams when McLaren was 6th in WCC past season, but this was an evidence of the great job the team is doing, now they can fight with them when they have some unexpected problem, this was unconceivable past season

Step by step, this is the way to the top again
Yes, there are a lot of Silver Linings from Japan... The fact that the team scored points at Suzuka for the first time since 2014 is also great... McLaren was also the most improved team compared to 2018, 2.2 seconds better in Qualifying (expected, since they stopped developing the MCL33 by this point last season), but nevertheless really impressive.

Probably the highest point of the weekend was the fact that they were comfortably in P7-P8 in Qualifying... I believe this is one of the best qualifying results for the team considering no one had any penalties to deal with.

They seem to be getting to grips with the current car... I for one would hope that they maintain the current rules into 2021, since that will allow more convergence from the teams instead of a brand new concept... Following cars seems to have improved dramatically this season and a few changes would be better than a complete redesign (which should favor the top 3 regardless).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget only .5 behind RBR.

Ground Effect
95
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

In so many ways, Charles Leclerc was truly a thorn in Mclaren’s side this weekend... He’s ruined any chance of a drive in the future.. :D :lol:
From 8 things you may have missed.

Charles the Impaler
Lando made a great start. He looked likely to get ahead of Carlos and perhaps Lewis when he had to back out of the throttle to avoid the Leclerc-Verstappen collision. Nevertheless, he still finished lap one in sixth. Then when Leclerc’s front wing exploded, parts of it lodged in Lando’s front right brake duct. He had to pit to have it cleared – and this early stop ruined a promising race. To add insult to injury, the penalty given to Leclerc allowed Renault to reduce the amount by which we outscored them at Suzuka.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis
41
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by RonDennis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Suzuka was always going to be a good track for McLaren. They're especially good in the mid to high speeds corners. The 2,2 sec improvement is impressive, especially when you consider that the new front wings did lose a lot of laptime.

JRindt
2
User avatar
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by JRindt » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:37 am

Ground Effect wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm
Which track is likely to be stronger for McLaren, COTA or Mexico?
For some reason, Renault PU seems to perform well at high altitudes. I wonder if the performance of McLaren at Austria was partly down to the PU (Austria is the second highest track on the calendar with an altitude of 800m above sea level, I think)
If so, it’ll be interesting to see McLaren’s performance in Mexico with a top class PU, if only for one race.

Andres125sx
313
User avatar
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Andres125sx » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:38 am

Carlos said after the race (spanish tv) his battery was old and was cutting electrical energy before expected in the straights

f1rules
251
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:34 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by f1rules » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 am

it seem they had problems with the battery also in qual. Actually nice article on german version that is not on the EU version website. Basicly it says

> On top of midfield moving closer to the front
> Sainz very happy and proud with the pace especially in the sec stint, keeping up with leclerc and almost albon. He saved his tires and could therefore keep leclerc behind. Initially leclerc was 0.5 faster but his tires lost a bit and he lost pace whereas sainz could keep his pace.
>Sainz: we are not only best of rest, we are also in a position to kapitalize if some misfortune happen to the first three
> Sainz: I know the car better, i understand it better for quali and is able to set it up more to my liking
> small problem in qual with the battery costing a few tenths


https://de.motorsport.com/f1/news/sogar ... 5/4557789/

_cerber1
88
User avatar
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by _cerber1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:50 am

JRindt wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:37 am
Ground Effect wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm
Which track is likely to be stronger for McLaren, COTA or Mexico?
For some reason, Renault PU seems to perform well at high altitudes. I wonder if the performance of McLaren at Austria was partly down to the PU (Austria is the second highest track on the calendar with an altitude of 800m above sea level, I think)
If so, it’ll be interesting to see McLaren’s performance in Mexico with a top class PU, if only for one race.
Yes, but Renault also has a lot of engine damage in Mexico.

trinidefender
315
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by trinidefender » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:01 am

JRindt wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:37 am
Ground Effect wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm
Which track is likely to be stronger for McLaren, COTA or Mexico?
For some reason, Renault PU seems to perform well at high altitudes. I wonder if the performance of McLaren at Austria was partly down to the PU (Austria is the second highest track on the calendar with an altitude of 800m above sea level, I think)
If so, it’ll be interesting to see McLaren’s performance in Mexico with a top class PU, if only for one race.
It did in previous years. If I had to guess that's because the turbocharger compressor probably had the most overhead in its efficiency range compared to the other manufacturers equalising PU performance somewhat. Lots has changed this year however so previous years can't be used as an indicator for this year.