2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

The good characteristics of this year's car partly do come from Alonso's and Stoffel's advice, but I think it was mostly Pat Fry. I read an interview some time ago and Pat said that the main thing he focused on for this year's car was simplicity. On the topic of Carlos and Lando, Carlos has better race pace than Lando because of his F1 experience. Carlos has more experience of managing tires on a F1 car. In all honesty, McLaren is making him a better driver because of all the tire management he has done so far this season. I mean 42 laps on the mediums in Brazil is pretty impressive! Lando is obviously very quick over one lap, but he just needs to improve his race pace. I have no doubt that his race pace will improve in the coming seasons.

godlameroso

Next year will be an important milestone for McLaren. It will be the first car they develop from the ground up with the team they recently assembled in the last 2 years.

James Key, and Andreas Seidl have been in charge through the entire development phase of the 2020 McLaren. So this car will be a preview of what to expect from McLaren in the coming years.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 18:16
Next year will be an important milestone for McLaren. It will be the first car they develop from the ground up with the team they recently assembled in the last 2 years.

James Key, and Andreas Seidl have been in charge through the entire development phase of the 2020 McLaren. So this car will be a preview of what to expect from McLaren in the coming years.
So what aspects of the car is the “money maker”, what separates the top 3 from the midfield, where on the car does McLaren need the improvements to close the gap? I hope they’re not too numerous to list.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 18:46
godlameroso wrote:

So what aspects of the car is the “money maker”, what separates the top 3 from the midfield, where on the car does McLaren need the improvements to close the gap? I hope they’re not too numerous to list.
Tyres, Suspension, Aero, Engine...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 19:36
Ground Effect wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

In above order of importance, or is this randomly listed?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

M840TR wrote:

Well they are moving too Merc engine so that sorts that. Better aero will fix the tyres issues and better suspension will make the aero work better.

So I'd argue suspension and aero are the main 2. Better suspension is probably one of the reasons why Red bull was faster in a straight line than Merc in Brazil.

diffuser

Maplesoup wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 20:35
M840TR wrote:

Well they are moving too Merc engine so that sorts that. Better aero will fix the tyres issues and better suspension will make the aero work better.

So I'd argue suspension and aero are the main 2. Better suspension is probably one of the reasons why Red bull was faster in a straight line than Merc in Brazil.
Tires and therefore suspension are changing in 2021. That money is better spent on 2021 tires... Now that I think about everything listed above is changing for 2021. Wow a lame duck season coming up ...

Jambier

godlameroso wrote:

Except that they have to prepare 2021 with less budget than top teams.
So they must "sacrifize" a bit 2020, and prepare new rules + engine change for 2021

I think they must avoid the 2013 mistake. So keep the current car and improve it, fix its issues should be enough to be P4 next year again and build the future

godlameroso

Jambier wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 21:31
godlameroso wrote:

Except that they have to prepare 2021 with less budget than top teams.
So they must "sacrifize" a bit 2020, and prepare new rules + engine change for 2021

I think they must avoid the 2013 mistake. So keep the current car and improve it, fix its issues should be enough to be P4 next year again and build the future
If McLaren is throwing money at a new wind tunnel, and Brown is bringing in sponsors and investment, I doubt McLaren will be hurting financially.
Saishū kōnā

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Well there are some things that will not change and could improve. Not all of them are huge differentiators though. Pit stop speed, track operations, aero correlation, hydraulics, gearbox reliability, software to name a few.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

LM10
LM10

Last month Andreas Seidl told that they are going for a concept change for next season. Considering they've done pretty decent steps with their upgrades this season, it's a bit surprising. They know that such changes are risky to some extent, but they're in full attacking mode to reach the top 3.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

LM10 wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 23:08
Last month Andreas Seidl told that they are going for a concept change for next season. Considering they've done pretty decent steps with their upgrades this season, it's a bit surprising. They know that such changes are risky to some extent, but they're in full attacking mode to reach the top 3.
Their car concept has flaws and they know that. It's cheaper to run with a concept that they know will solve the problems rather than fight the existing chassis to conform. Makes perfect sense.

LM10
LM10

Maplesoup wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 23:18
LM10 wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 23:08
Their car concept has flaws and they know that. It's cheaper to run with a concept that they know will solve the problems rather than fight the existing chassis to conform. Makes perfect sense.
Ok then, I'm not so informed about the McLaren. What are the flaws of it's concept? From what I've seen it's a fast car in high speed corners. I assume they're going to add more downforce (no brainer) and try to increase it's slow speed performance/mechanical grip?

diffuser

kfrantzios wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 23:00
Well there are some things that will not change and could improve. Not all of them are huge differentiators though. Pit stop speed, track operations, aero correlation, hydraulics, gearbox reliability, software to name a few.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
They said that they are gonna update the pit stop tools. Also Zak said they were gonna priorities reliability.

mclaren111

Ground Effect wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Efficient Downforce...
Last edited by mclaren111 on 25 Nov 2019, 10:22, edited 2 times in total.