2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
e30ernest
e30ernest

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

trinidefender wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 01:16
Here is an angle that I haven't seen being raised yet. Leclerc screwed Vettel in qualifying in Monza when he was supposed to give him a tow down the main straight effectively ruining his qualifying chances. I wonder if internally in Ferrari that this was managements way of telling Vettel sorry and that if Leclerc doesn't play the team game then Ferrari is happy to give the win to Vettel.

And just for full disclosure I am am a fan of Leclerc and not really a huge fan of Vettel. I just can't believe that the events of qualifying in Monza are forgotten that easily.
Rosberg raised that too.

Personally, I think they just did not expect Vettel to get that fast of an out-lap and Leclerc to be that slow. I think the plan was just honestly to undercut Lewis for the 1-2 and protect against Verstappen.

Bisonas

There is a chance that Ferrari did turned the corner with their chassis regarding low to medium speed performance and with the engine superiority that they have, Ferrari may be the team to beat from now on.
I won't say that it will happen, i am just saying that after Singapore there is a big chance for it to happen.
Now lets say in the next 7 races ferrari do have the upper hand and all goes well for them, and Leclerc cut the difference to Hamilton and end up like around 30-40 points or less from Hamilton with Vettel Third or Fourth on the standings with like 20-30 point less than Leclerc.
In my eyes ,IF and only IF, Ferrari did actually turned the corner with their chassis, this is a very probable scenario.

Now if i am Binotto at the end of the year looking my self at the mirror am i Satisfied ??
It was his call for the early Vettel favoritism and it was his call not to focus on one driver after the summer break based on performance criteria.

I don't know. I am just thinking.
But if Leclerc do manage to finish 2nd on the standings with 30-40 or less points from Hamilton, the "what IF" would be on everyone minds.
The fewer the Difference on points, the bigger the "What If"

jumpingfish

It's can be calculated easily - all their points those lost during the bad strategies/engine failures and driver's mistakes. If there will not be enough to beat Hamilton - then no matter who was the 1st number in the team.

santos
santos

The next race will tell more about if they have the car to beat. I have some doubts. The temperature in Sochi will be much lower, if they can do well and even win the race, maybe they still have a chance for the teams championship. The Drivers title is just too far away. Hamilton would have to have some really poor races without scoring any points.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

I have a feeling and I hope I am wrong that Singapore was the perfect storm with the softest grippiest tire, higher temps and of course the amazing grunt of that PU that the Ferrari has that enabled them to get the performance on the track as they did. I bet if the track temps were cooler they would have a harder time since Singapore is a bit stop and go so it's to like it has high speed sweeping corners to get the tires up to temperature. I still hope Ferrari can give Mercedes a run for their money for the rest of the year. Sochi will be interesting in terms of outcome but god that track is boring.

gdanielwesley
gdanielwesley

digitalrurouni wrote:I have a feeling and I hope I am wrong that Singapore was the perfect storm with the softest grippiest tire, higher temps and of course the amazing grunt of that PU that the Ferrari has that enabled them to get the performance on the track as they did. I bet if the track temps were cooler they would have a harder time since Singapore is a bit stop and go so it's to like it has high speed sweeping corners to get the tires up to temperature. I still hope Ferrari can give Mercedes a run for their money for the rest of the year. Sochi will be interesting in terms of outcome but god that track is boring.
We need to see the performance in Suzuka and cota to know if Ferrari has solved the low-mid speed corner problems .The upgrades sure are promising, but Sochi looks a lot like singapore with a few more straights which will play to Ferraris strengths.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

jumpingfish

Did anyone read/hear Leclerc's team radio during the race in Singapore? Did race engineer say him to push before pit, didn't he?

waynes
waynes

jumpingfish wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 16:43
Did anyone read/hear Leclerc's team radio during the race in Singapore? Did race engineer say him to push before pit, didn't he?
yes he did

Sevach
Sevach

digitalrurouni wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 14:03
I have a feeling and I hope I am wrong that Singapore was the perfect storm with the softest grippiest tire, higher temps and of course the amazing grunt of that PU that the Ferrari has that enabled them to get the performance on the track as they did. I bet if the track temps were cooler they would have a harder time since Singapore is a bit stop and go so it's to like it has high speed sweeping corners to get the tires up to temperature. I still hope Ferrari can give Mercedes a run for their money for the rest of the year. Sochi will be interesting in terms of outcome but god that track is boring.
I don't think anyone is 100% sure... But i think the turnaround is real.

Back in Hockenheim Ferrari suppousedly already had a monster car for qualifying and although Mercedes was hampered by various errors in the race the SF90 was flying on the drying track, Vettel was the fastest car with some margin.

Hungaroring gave the team a black eye, showing there was still work to be done.
But the new bits since Hockenheim + plus new engine might've made Ferrari the car to be in, specially in Q.

MtthsMlw

jumpingfish wrote:
Kind of, he was told to go to mode box half a lap before he pitted.

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 21:53
jumpingfish wrote:
Considering Vettel was told to pit at the last turn (which means that Leclerc in front was already starting his next lap), it doesn't seem like the call in the middle of Leclerc's lap was intentionally late.

Big Tea

MtthsMlw wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:

Does he not get a live delta on his display? The pit would update this with his required time, would they not?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GPR-A

Big Tea wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 23:33
MtthsMlw wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:

Does he not get a live delta on his display? The pit would update this with his required time, would they not?
- He was told on Lap 14 to pick up pace.
- He was doing mid 1m49s until then and then he jumped to 1m48.7 (lap 15) in the next lap, 1m48.3 the following and then a 1m47.8.
- Strangely, on 18 and 19th lap, he was back into low to mid 1m49s.
- On lap 17, Vettel had a gap of 3.8 seconds to Leclerc and I think that is when they decided to pit Vettel next lap.
- By next lap though, Vettel reduced that gap to 3.5 seconds as Leclerc fell back in 1m49s! Most likely, his tyres fell off.

It was that situation that cost Leclerc. May be Ferrari thought if Leclerc continues to do those 1m47.xxx, he would open a safe margin to Vettel, but because his speed went down in those two laps, he lost a big chunk. Vettel started flying on those new set of hards, which were potentially at that stage, 4 second a lap faster in the first couple of laps (1m49.xxx Vs 1m45.xxx).

(Click to enlarge)

Ferrari DID NOT favor Vettel, it was tyre cliff issue with Leclerc that cheated everyone at Ferrari.

Bisonas

GPR -A wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 03:28
Ferrari DID NOT favor Vettel, it was tyre cliff issue with Leclerc that cheated everyone at Ferrari.
VET did 1.56,992 on his inlap (lap19) and LEC did 1.57,053 on his inlap (lap20)
That's 0,061 difference with one lap older tyres. So Tyres going over the cliff doesn't stand. They did the same inlap and VET was 2.3sec behind HAM at the time. It wasn't like HAM was delaying him or something.

They both where told very late into their inlap that they where boxing.
On VET it was logical. They told him a few corners before pit entry. You don't want to expose your self to the others. Everybody is listening.
On LEC i don't get it. He was told Box mode, Box mode like 1min 5 sec after he crossed the line for his final lap.
There was no reason for Ferrari not to tell him box mode, push now, the moment VET entered the pits.

But all its irrelevant. It wasn't a tyre cliff. It was just that the undercut was too big.
When you are 3.5sec in front of VET and you both do the same inlap time. Then its easy to understand that the outlap of VET, produced a bigger undercut from what was expected.

It wasn't LEC fault, it wasn't VET fault either to do such a great outlap.
We all know that who ever pits first, has the advantage of the undercut in most cases. That's why the leading car usually pits first. Because its the preferable strategy and when margins are so small they usually give it to the leading car. Its more fair that way.

I understand Ferrari decision to try to undercut HAM for the 1-2 result and to protect VET from VES undercutting them. (But imagine if Mercedes had pitted HAM in the same lap with VET and VES. HAM undercuts LEC and bye bye win. It was a risk. As much as they wanted to protect VET from VES they needed to protect LEC from HAM also)
But in doing so, they did favor VET because the gave him the preferable strategy, while not being the leading Ferrari, and they gave him the chance to try and produce such a great outlap to undercut both HAM and LEC.

It wasn't a tyre cliff, it was just circumstances.

GPR-A

Anyone else thinks they need Hamilton OR Verstappen in Ferrari? :)