[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cuky

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

munudeges wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:20
Those in the know suspected that Ferrari's pace last year in testing wasn't real.
Before Australia every single F1 pundit, from Gary Andersson to guys at SkyF1 was talking how Ferrari looks mighty, how Ferrari is planted and that this could finally be their year. And when Australia came they were all saying that Melbourne is a specific track and that their bad performance is probably a fluke. Then came Bahrain, Ferrari was good there, and they were all like "we told you so". So no, those in the know didn't suspect that Ferrari's pace in testing wasn't real.
munudeges wrote:
This year they haven't changed their approach, they are just plain slow. Currently, there is nothing on that car that suggests there is a major jump in performance hidden in it.
First of all: there were only 2 days of testing so far. Mercedes was nowhere near their yesterday's speed. Did they somehow forgot how to go fast over the night?

Second: Prove it.
munudeges wrote:
There are all sorts of damage limitation things being said right now, such as they're running in low power modes and on heavy fuel, and there's rumours of a large upgrade for Melbourne. One hopes for their sake that it comes a lot sooner.
Well, they are at the bottom of the speed traps with, at least "those in the know" are saying that for 2 years now, what is the most powerful PU. And they weren't even using DRS yesterday.

MtthsMlw

Is it of any interest that they haven't used aero rakes at all so far?

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 22:05
Is it of any interest that they haven't used aero rakes at all so far?
It's unusual, as most teams like to do so in the early AM sessions when the track conditions are less representative for the tires.

LM10
LM10

Vettel on the car and testing performance:

"Although we are not looking for lap times at the moment, you still get a feeling in the car, about what got better and what not. In the corners we made a step forward. The car feels generally good."

"We have improved in some areas. A few features are similar to last year's car. But it's still early. We have time. We still have some margin with the setup to refine the characteristics."

"We concentrate on ourselves. First we want to make sure the reliability is guaranteed. We have had a few problems with that last year. We have to understand the car before we worry about lap times. We have to try different configurations to do that."

"There are so many different settings for the engine. You don't show the competition what you have got in testing. We're not gonna turn the engine on until we get to Melbourne to start the season!"

"I haven't changed the engine mappings much today. We were not interested in bringing out the maximum performance out and to show it to everyone."

Vettel on DAS:

"The Mercedes steering wheel? I've seen it and the fact that they're using it makes me think it's legal. It is probably not as easy for the driver to use as it seems. We'll see. It is certainly new for everyone."

"Idk how easy it is to copy "DAS". I don't think it's that simple. It seems very strange to me to use a steering wheel in that way with the feeling that it comes off. I think it makes more sense for the driver to keep his hands on the steering wheel well."

"If everything I've heard is true, instead of a steering wheel now they have a video game controller"

"I am sure that a large part of the factory is studying it and is on the verge of understanding the system. We have to see if it would make sense for us."

bosyber
bosyber

Well, if sky are correct, Binotto just about answered the question of whether they have a Merc. beater with 'hopefully by the end of the season' - that's not what fans like to hear!

dfegan358
dfegan358

ferrari in fairness had a good bit of pace to find over the winter to mercedes, in overall race pace on sunday and tyre management and ferrari were good bit behind last year.

a realistic objective over winter is to close the gap, not to overtake mercedes. i would be ecstatic if we can get closer especially on the circuits we struggled badly on last year where peak downforce is required.

mercedes seem to have made good progress, we dont know what the sf1000 is capable of yet. i still expect us to be behind in melbourne but hopefully a lot more competitive than last year.

bosyber
bosyber

Well, I do think it is positive they aren't crowning themselves, as they have done several times in the past, and indeed last year, only to arrive in Australia and find themselves behind, and only really (seemingly) realising their gap after two races have already gone (I mean, Bahrain was great, apart from PU problem, but, in effect, it was a false dawn, wasn't it, but Ferrari seemingly didn't accept that until much later).

But, it is still a bit of a pity that their change to add more downforce seemingly has not (yet, let hope soon it will) brought enough to think they can compete, let alone beat, Mercedes over the season.

wowgr8
wowgr8

I respect Binotto's honesty however depressing it is to hear, and I don't think he's verbally sandbagging, he's being realistic and trying to manage expectations. We were losing 1 second a lap to the Mercedes in the corners at the end of last year, hoping to claw all that back was hopeful at best, nevermind the fact that Mercedes weren't standing still and have gone even more extreme with their 2020 car. Looking at the innovations on the Red Bull and especially Mercedes it just feels like Ferrari were asleep the last 2 years

munudeges
munudeges

Cuky wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:31
Before Australia every single F1 pundit, from Gary Andersson to guys at SkyF1 was talking how Ferrari looks mighty.....
Those in the know weren't, and Gary Anderson certainly was not one of those. Those that were were the Autosport numpties who don't know anything.
First of all: there were only 2 days of testing so far. Mercedes was nowhere near their yesterday's speed. Did they somehow forgot how to go fast over the night?
It would be nice if you had a point.
Second: Prove it.
Prove what?
Well, they are at the bottom of the speed traps with, at least "those in the know" are saying that for 2 years now, what is the most powerful PU. And they weren't even using DRS yesterday.
It stopped being the most powerful PU last year......for reasons unknown.

If they were slow and you suspected they were running higher fuel loads so they were running a representative time, but just slower to a degree they understood, as Mercedes and Red Bull have done successfully in the past, that might give you pause for thought. At the moment their test programme doesn't make sense.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Having a poor car may be a positive? It means while Mercedes and Red Bull duke out the title fight we can concentrate on 2021. An article before the season started said that the first few races will be crucial for determining where resources go for the rest of the year. Don't bother saving the car if it's handfuls of tenths slower than the competition

dren

Max was consistently in the mix towards the end of last season. Mercedes was the car to beat. It makes sense that we'd start the year in roughly the same position since the regulations haven't changed. It's clear Ferrari isn't pushing to show ultimate performance. Mercedes and Red Bull historically do not, either.
Honda!

munudeges
munudeges

The only problem is, Ferrari's track record with regulation changes isn't great either.

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

munudeges wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:31
The only problem is, Ferrari's track record with regulation changes isn't great either.
I would say 2017 was pretty good.... 2010 they should have won...

Gothrek
Gothrek

How come Ferrari is so weak in those political games of F1? Last year they got murdered for their engine. Now Mercedes has this questionable DAS and they are so soft about it... They could use this so easily to their political advantage. Yet, they do nothing. If you see how Mercedes uses the press in their advantage and how weak Ferrari is here, almost sad to watch.

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Gothrek wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:42
How come Ferrari is so weak in those political games of F1? Last year they got murdered for their engine. Now Mercedes has this questionable DAS and they are so soft about it... They could use this so easily to their political advantage. Yet, they do nothing. If you see how Mercedes uses the press in their advantage and how weak Ferrari is here, almost sad to watch.
To be honest though, Mercedes weren't too public in their criticism on Ferrari's engine, there were a few digs here and there. I feel like it was more Red Bull's push to the FIA that got the technical directive.