[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dtro
dtro

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

jumpingfish wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 06:43
Digged into xls file that was linked by Juzh (real treasure) and we see this:
Day3 am Vettel reached maximum speed 329km/h with bigger rear wing (no spoon), big doubt that there were only fumes in fuel tank and I also doubt their engine mode was K1+ which is most powerful. In 2019 Qualy speedtrap fixed 325km/h.

S3 time 26.015. Vettel's S1 and S2 at this lap very slow (preparing tyre temperature for testing fastest S3?) Also, it was done on C3 after running 5 laps (not fresh as in Qualy) and rear wing was spoon.

Now Vettel and "fastest" lap on C5 with spoon, maximum speed on traps: 305km/h -- 284km/h -- 304km/h -- 275km/h
Here is his maximum speed on traps during yesterday morning: 308km/h -- 285km/h -- 304km/h -- 280km/h. I know that by onboards we can see higher speed but not at all laps so traps better to compare.

I don't think that Ferrari has so much "problems" with their drag as Binotto says :)

https://f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2019 ... ap-BCL.jpg
I bet it's just a drag to deal with all the reporters looking for blood, car looks good, coy team better than cocky team of last year methinks

jumpingfish

dtro wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:04

I bet it's just a drag to deal with all the reporters looking for blood, car looks good, coy team better than cocky team of last year methinks
Agreed. They learned from the past and don't want to make the same errors :D

dtro
dtro

jumpingfish wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:07
dtro wrote:

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong... I have no problem admitting my errors lol. I hope that they've learned, I should know better, but 2020 is the year of hindsight, right, they've gotta get it right? If they're seriously on the back foot than I don't see why Vettel and Binotto would be talking about dinner and wine to discuss their contract while the car is more donkey than stallion. Their approach from the start with all the insider info was misdirection, the testing approach is in line with that. [-o<

jumpingfish

dtro wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:22
jumpingfish wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:07
dtro wrote:

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong... I have no problem admitting my errors lol. I hope that they've learned, I should know better, but 2020 is the year of hindsight, right, they've gotta get it right? If they're seriously on the back foot than I don't see why Vettel and Binotto would be talking about dinner and wine to discuss their contract while the car is more donkey than stallion. Their approach from the start with all the insider info was misdirection, the testing approach is in line with that. [-o<
Not so much people think about speed on tests and Vettel's contract so deep :) Also, they will only talk about it, not signed yet it's just an answer for media. Will see later after 3-5 months :)

Mark4211

Annotated Wheel Adjustments: Onboard Lap, Sebastian Vettel - Testing 2020

GPR-A

FIA reaches agreement with Ferrari after power unit investigation
Posted on 28th February 2020, 16:53 | Written by Keith Collantin wrote:The FIA has announced it has completed an investigation of Ferrari’s power unit but will not reveal the details of its findings.

A statement issued on Friday by the sport’s governing body said: “The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 power unit and reached a settlement with the team. The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.

“The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels.”

Bill
Bill

Blatant favoritism why can't they just say it Ferrari was cheating. Oil clamping have made them and Mercedes look average.

dtro
dtro

Bill wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:01
Blatant favoritism why can't they just say it Ferrari was cheating. Oil clamping have made them and Mercedes look average.
I recall Merc testing Pirelli tires with Nico and Hamilton in anonymous white helmets and ultimately nothing came of this.

Many reasons not to call it cheating including but not limited to not wanting to sink the approval of the sport, it's regulatory body, and the competitors. What would prevent Ferrari from exposing the FIA's apparent incompetence (inability to discern the legality of the PU) if the FIA decided to go nuclear?

Favorable ending if their collaboration with the FIA improves the FIA's monitoring of the PUs. Ultimately I'm under no illusion this is the only example of a team bending or interpreting rules in a way that goes against the spirit of said rules. This is like a successful drug smuggler transitioning into a job with customs enforcement or something... Breaking snitch?

LM10
LM10

Binotto: "It is difficult to say if we're slow because of the engine power or because of the drag. We are not hiding. This is the real performance of our car."

Seriously, what is he talking about? Who would even believe that? They know the power output, the fuel loads, they have a million sensors on the car, same regulations, same tyres, tons of data to compare and they know the car inside out to assess it's drag levels.

Is this early april fool's?

falonso81

Ferrari is holding back a lot, that i am sure. There is no way Seb can do 1:16.8, driving like he would on a fast out lap.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

GPR-A wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 18:59
Posted on 28th February 2020, 16:53 | Written by Keith Collantin wrote:The FIA has announced it has completed an investigation of Ferrari’s power unit but will not reveal the details of its findings.

A statement issued on Friday by the sport’s governing body said: “The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 power unit and reached a settlement with the team. The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.

“The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels.”
This is actually quite a big news story that has been buried by being released late in the day on a Friday. Long story short: Ferrari was obviously oil burning and/or leaking fuel through the intercooler, or they somehow used more fuel than is allowed by bypassing the fuel flow sensor.

The FIA has figured this out and has made Ferrari stop whatever they were doing. Ferrari seems to have avoided a penalty by working with the FIA so that others can't "cheat" in the same ways.

The upshot is that Ferrari is clearly down on power relative to last year, barring legal advancements that may have been made in the off-season. Makes sense that they are are slow in a straight line, especially given drag-inducing aero additions that weren't on the car last year.

GPR-A

Ringleheim wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 13:14
GPR-A wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 18:59

This is actually quite a big news story that has been buried by being released late in the day on a Friday. Long story short: Ferrari was obviously oil burning and/or leaking fuel through the intercooler, or they somehow used more fuel than is allowed by bypassing the fuel flow sensor.

The FIA has figured this out and has made Ferrari stop whatever they were doing. Ferrari seems to have avoided a penalty by working with the FIA so that others can't "cheat" in the same ways.

The upshot is that Ferrari is clearly down on power relative to last year, barring legal advancements that may have been made in the off-season. Makes sense that they are are slow in a straight line, especially given drag-inducing aero additions that weren't on the car last year.
That is loads of nonsense. FIA simply said, they have "reached a settlement with the team" doesn't mean "Ferrari was cheating and we caught them"! You only read it that way because YOU WANT TO. FIA has often managed to leave loop holes in their regulations and many teams over the decades, have exploited it. It doesn't make that exploitation ILLEGAL. Some people, including Adrian Newey are crying that Mercedes' DAS system is Illegal. Does it make it Illegal or cheating? Whatever FIA understands about the system, is like Michael Masi said, they can't reveal the details to anyone outside of the parties involved. If you want to go ahead and believe it is CHEATING and ILLEGAL, you are free to do so, but it won't become universal truth for everyone.

Unf

I am shocked how all of you are wonder about Ferrari's sandbagging. Do'n you remember what liar-Toto was saying whole tests last year? "Ferrari is ahead of us", "We are in trouble", "We have a lot work to do", "We are not team to beat on Melbourne" etc. He was lied in the same way as Ferrari do now.

hugobos

A settlement is reached....
Why settle something and have an agreement ?
No further action necessary, is a clear statement.
This news is open to anything you want.
With so much legal staff within the FIA, I find this release a bit strange.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced

LM10
LM10

Ferrari’s situation is very weird. Last season, when all were talking about Ferrari PUs potential illegality Binotto told that they’ve always operated the PU in a legal way. Wasn’t he aware of thorough analyzing by the FIA?
A few months later, yesterday, he told that the PU is worse than last year’s. As it’s not really possible going backwards with PU performance, this gives the impression of him having indirectly admitted it.
If Ferrari actually turns out to have lost significant amount of power, he will have damaged the reputation of Ferrari and himself. Why would he do that? Why not just be quite about that matter?

Really strange. Either Binotto is one of the biggest trolls and something is being hidden or he’s very honest.