[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xwang
Xwang

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Jolle wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 11:35
jumpingfish wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 06:49
When AMD switched from Ferrari to Mercedes in February, I thought it was a bad sign: AMD had been on Ferrari cars for so many years. Now Weichai is gone too. :(
The lucky thing for Ferrari is that it has no impact on their budget. They outsourced all their sponsoring to PMI, and get a flat fee from them. What is worrisome, that with changing times and the (more then a little hint) of foul play with the fuel flow sensor. Sponsors don’t like this, like ING left Renault mid season when crashgate came out.
Are you saying that PMI gives a flat fee to Ferrari and all the brands on the car (Rayban, Mahle, Kaspersky, etc ) pay PMI and not Ferrari itself? I've never heard this before.

LM10
LM10

Could it be that Ferrari built their car in an "downforce at all costs" approach, knowing they had plenty of power, but the regulations destroyed their whole plans? So now they're left with a car with a big amount of downforce, but also much drag and try to use "correlation issues" as an excuse?

If yes, they must have been 100% sure of their engine trick not to come to day light, otherwise it must have been the most dumb thing to entirely build a car around that engine. And they were shocked to see that the details of the PU was known by others (either by espionage or through a person inside of the team).

JordanMugen

Ringleheim wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 11:15
We are witnessing the beginning of the end for the Mattia Binotto clown show. If you enjoy his haircut and eyeglasses, get a good look at them now. His days are numbered.
How many times have Ferrari fired team principals and technical directors? It doesn't solve anything.

OK, so Ferrari calculated their aerodynamic targets wrong and have too much aerodynamic drag, and they have poor correlation to compound the issue. The same happened to Williams in 2019. The goal is to understand it and improve it. Panic is no use. :wink:

LM10 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:09
Could it be that Ferrari built their car in an "downforce at all costs" approach, knowing they had plenty of power, but the regulations destroyed their whole plans?
Quite plausible. Why else would Ferrari be so foolish to design for such a high level of aerodynamic drag?

Jolle
Jolle

Xwang wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:04
Jolle wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:
When AMD switched from Ferrari to Mercedes in February, I thought it was a bad sign: AMD had been on Ferrari cars for so many years. Now Weichai is gone too. :(
The lucky thing for Ferrari is that it has no impact on their budget. They outsourced all their sponsoring to PMI, and get a flat fee from them. What is worrisome, that with changing times and the (more then a little hint) of foul play with the fuel flow sensor. Sponsors don’t like this, like ING left Renault mid season when crashgate came out.
Are you saying that PMI gives a flat fee to Ferrari and all the brands on the car (Rayban, Mahle, Kaspersky, etc ) pay PMI and not Ferrari itself? I've never heard this before.
That’s right. PMI does this with all its teams. That’s why you see the same sponsors following them where they go sometimes, like Shell. You could almost say that Ferrari is running the PMI team, like Project Four did pre 1997.

That’s why the shift from Arivebenne (PMI guy) to Binotto (100% Ferrari) is so significant, together with the shift away from having a WC in the car (an old PMI “rule”). I know in the past driver and rider contracts were done in Lausanne and not Maranello/Bologna/Woking or Japan.

JordanMugen

Ringleheim wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 11:29
I'd like to fire everyone in the aero department, and Binotto himself.
Not helpful....
Ringleheim wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 11:29
They built a jalopy. Ferrari is lost right now.

Within the token system, it may be possible to revert to more of a low drag design, using only bolt-on components like the wings, bargeboard, floor etc? :)

jumpingfish

Jolle wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:
Yeah no one wants to be linked with cheaters, even it is only sponsorship

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

I have been rooting for Ferrari since childhood 1989...I started watching almost all races in 1996. The Ferrari that excited us is the Ferrari of Michael Schumacher of Fernando Alonso of Sebastian Vettel. The Ferrari of passionate champions. Of the ruthless champions. Leclerc seems to have some of all the above but winning a few races till being a multi champion there is too much road...It's like Ferrari admitting that next 2-3 years is damage limitation. The great champions can make decisions even against strategists because they are in the car and they are the ones that should make the last calls. We don't need robot drivers...Vettel had more passion than some Twitter drivers...I'd like to see a series with veteran F1 drivers driving v12 it v10 cars....it would be more exciting than the PlayStation drivers...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Jolle
Jolle

mika vs michael wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 12:51
I have been rooting for Ferrari since childhood 1989...I started watching almost all races in 1996. The Ferrari that excited us is the Ferrari of Michael Schumacher of Fernando Alonso of Sebastian Vettel. The Ferrari of passionate champions. Of the ruthless champions. Leclerc seems to have some of all the above but winning a few races till being a multi champion there is too much road...It's like Ferrari admitting that next 2-3 years is damage limitation. The great champions can make decisions even against strategists because they are in the car and they are the ones that should make the last calls. We don't need robot drivers...Vettel had more passion than some Twitter drivers...I'd like to see a series with veteran F1 drivers driving v12 it v10 cars....it would be more exciting than the PlayStation drivers...
You do know that for the last 40 years, a V12 only won the championship once? (And only on reliability, not speed).

I think our views on what F1 should look like is very much tainted by when we started watching F1. For me it's when the TAG-Porsche was dominating. So I love the V6 Turbo, never understood why we had these very old-tech NA engines.

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

My reference to older spec engines had to do with a series outside F1. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport...but as years go by the excitement around the human factor decreases. Pinnacle of motorsport means high tech...but F1 is a sport as well so we need a bit of rivalry.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Unf

Vettel - you are useless. Go to retire right now, nobody will want to have such donkey in team, like you. It's over.

LM10
LM10

Unf wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:59
Vettel - you are useless. Go to retire right now, nobody will want to have such donkey in team, like you. It's over.
The only thing being useless here is your comment and the only donkey in the team is the car right now.

Unf

LM10 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:07
Unf wrote:
The only thing being useless here is your comment and the only donkey in the team is the car right now.
Your point is that all this spins last year and today is a car fault not Vettel's? Interesting. He drives like totally amateur.

Ps: You are very poor dude, you can give me -100 if you want, but you are poor to do it just beacuse I have different opinion than you.

LM10
LM10

Unf wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:14
LM10 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:07
Unf wrote:
Your point is that all this spins last year and today is a car fault not Vettel's? Interesting. He drives like totally amateur.
Of course it's been his fault. He needs a solid rear and obviously can't fully adapt his style when he's not happy with how the car behaves. That surely is his weak point.
But this season I don't know how you can be angry about driver performances. Do you think Ferrari is going to fight for the championship? Not even next season and not even close. Your aim of anger should be the team around Binotto for having tricked with the engine and obviously they've put all their hope into that because they completely built the car around it.
As a Ferrari fan I'm still ashamed big time. And I'm surely not going to hate a driver this season. They're punished enough with their current car.

JordanMugen

Binotto says 0.7sec is lost on straight to Mercedes, but "engine power is not the only issue". Says the car is competitive in grip-limited parts of the lap (corners) but not in power-limited parts of the lap (straights). Most interesting! :)

LM10 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:27
Of course it's been his fault. He needs a solid rear and obviously can't fully adapt his style when he's not happy with how the car behaves. That surely is his weak point.
But this season I don't know how you can be angry about driver performances.
Well Vettel says the car is "undrivable". Meanwhile, Leclerc was smooth, consistent and put the very same car on the podium. This raises serious questions about Vettel's driving ability, or lack thereof.

LM10 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:27
They're punished enough with their current car.
The car is a still a VERY solid upper midfield car. That's a good car, far superior to something like a Williams. The last thing Ferrari needs are inconsistent drivers who can't take advantage of such a solid car and get the podiums and top fives when they are available.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 05 Jul 2020, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Unf

@LM10

Ferrari have two drivers, with excatly the same cars. The same cars with the same weakness and pros. One of them was 2nd, another one was 10th with stupid spin. Don't you see a difference? Vettel is doing amateurish attacks year by year or other mistakes and cause of that he looks like a donkey,