[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GTO99

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This looks appropriate for Ferrari's attempt to improve.
:lol:

Big Tea

GTO99 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:31

That is a high rake problem
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:33
That is a high rake problem

AngelicPrincess wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 08:56
Whenever Ferrari has a bad season the Italian media and the fans call for whoever is at the top to be fired.
When the Italian news sports report opens with "Disastro Ferrari, Maranello Problema" with multiple replays of Ferraris crashing into each other, and no mention of the actual winner of the race, one can appreciate the extent of the problem of Italian media pressure. :o

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

GTO99 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 21:31

lold out literally on this :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sevach
Sevach

Will Ferrari have enough new parts for Hungary?
Leclerc came back to the track with an old model FW and his floor is obviously busted.
Not sure about Seb's car FW seems ok, no idea about the floor.

alexx_88
alexx_88

Do you think fans have so much power over Ferrari's decisions? Wondering because as a football fan, where fans can chant and say things during the match, in F1 that's not possible. More so, the Ferrari fans that used to go to races are different each time, it's not the same significant ghetou group that travels around the world. So that leaves us with the online component. Is a multibillion dollar publicly traded company going to fire and hire people based on YouTube's comments section? I doubt it.

Big Tea

Sevach wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 01:43
Will Ferrari have enough new parts for Hungary?
Leclerc came back to the track with an old model FW and his floor is obviously busted.
Not sure about Seb's car FW seems ok, no idea about the floor.
Short a couple of drivers, but they will make do

Jolle
Jolle

alexx_88 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 07:36
Do you think fans have so much power over Ferrari's decisions? Wondering because as a football fan, where fans can chant and say things during the match, in F1 that's not possible. More so, the Ferrari fans that used to go to races are different each time, it's not the same significant ghetou group that travels around the world. So that leaves us with the online component. Is a multibillion dollar publicly traded company going to fire and hire people based on YouTube's comments section? I doubt it.
It’s more the press. And they need to sell papers (or clicks), so the story that connects with the (angry) fans sells the best, not always the most true story..

So. If fans want a scapegoat, the press will give them one and then Ferrari feels it has to move... just like in football.

On the flip side, I think Ferrari is quite happy at the moment that they don’t have to race at Monza with all the seats packed.

alexx_88
alexx_88

Jolle wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:52
On the flip side, I think Ferrari is quite happy at the moment that they don’t have to race at Monza with all the seats packed.
Yeah, I don't think that would've turned out too well. :)

The problem is that some people come with a football-like mentality, where you have pretty much 12-20 people responsible for the results. F1 is so much more about the hierarchy, how you divide responsibilities, how much creative freedom you offer to the engineers and, more importantly, how you handle things not going according to plan. The worst thing you can do is blame the engineers and fire the ones that make mistakes. The only thing that achieves is everyone locking down all their creativity and not taking chances.

Big Tea

alexx_88 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:01
Jolle wrote:

The problem is that some people come with a football-like mentality, where you have pretty much 12-20 people responsible for the results. F1 is so much more about the hierarchy, how you divide responsibilities, how much creative freedom you offer to the engineers and, more importantly, how you handle things not going according to plan. The worst thing you can do is blame the engineers and fire the ones that make mistakes. The only thing that achieves is everyone locking down all their creativity and not taking chances.
Maybe Ferrari should install a dummy, or straw man as the public face and do the actual business a level below that.
A pr or 'face' could be changed every year, or even twice a year without upsetting the apple cart and let the actual team at least have continuity.

alexx_88
alexx_88

They had a PU advantage that they probably obtained through a trick. That shows at least a bit of courage in implementing risky ideas and it's a good first step. That advantage has been taken from them, but it doesn't mean they need to fire all the people and start fresh. Binotto is obviously a good leader and probably just needs to put more of the right people in place next to him in order to succeed. After all, it was his technical leadership that took Ferrari from the disastrous 2014 to the excellent cars of 2017, 2018 and, to some extent, 2019.

jumpingfish

They needed to be trickier in late 2018 - early 2019. If they created an uber-engine using tricks, then it was also necessary to create an uber-aerodynamics / chassis in order to hide the illegal advantage of the engine. They would be good enough on straight lines, but also good at cornering and working with tires. Everyone would admire, Ah, what good engineers.
Instead, they decided to make a minimum drag, which further drew maximum attention to their maximum speeds / accelerations.

Manfer
Manfer

Assuming Ferrari finish 6 in the championship this year, they will receive 102.5% of testing hours(40 runs per week) going into 2021. Since development work for 2022 is banned until January of 2021, its beneficial for them to finish low, so that they have additional testing hours going into 2022. If Ferrari finish 6th in 2021, they will receive 90% of test runs for 2022, which is about 25% more than what Merc will have. At the end of 2019, they must have known, they would not be competitive going into 2020/2021. When the FIA decided to look at their engine based on the data provided by Merc & RB, it was already too late, since the car would be in its final stages. Merc themselves wrote off Ferrari at the end of last year after Abu Dhabi. So the best way to use the regulations would be to use the time and resources to prepare for 2022(Correct correlation issues, upgrade engine, improve simulation tools, chassis aero integration, racing strategy tools).
Having the additional testing time allocated to you when your closest competitor is handicapped by the rules would be an advantage going into 2022.
Based on this, i do not expect Ferrari to improve through this year or next. Just do enough to make the best of a very bad situation.
2020-2021 must be a tool validation year for Ferrari rather than a racing championship.
**Everything written above is based on my opinions. Feel free to disapprove or disagree. My intention is to start a conversation on how Ferrari can improve rather than call for firing of XYZ team members."

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:09
alexx_88 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 12:01
Jolle wrote:

Maybe Ferrari should install a dummy, or straw man as the public face and do the actual business a level below that.
A pr or 'face' could be changed every year, or even twice a year without upsetting the apple cart and let the actual team at least have continuity.
I really thought that was Matiaci's role, the fall guy, come in clean house and then slip out the back door. Ferrari should definitely consider something like you proposed, a front face that can be a fall guy that has nothing to do with the actual workings of the team.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I'm still baffled as to why they ditched Arrivabene, he was the perfect man there imo. Binotto was at the right place at tech, but somehow he had to be a d*ck and such an amount of d*ck that he actually got Arrivabene booted which is arguably the worst decision the big'uns' have made, and you can see how much of a d*ck he's making himself now with the results. He'll be out at the end of the year without a doubt. Ferrari really shot themselves in the foot with how they managed the Arrivabene-Binotto clash/situation and now they're back to square one. They WILL be appointing a new head, and it WILL take them time to restructure and it means that Ferrari will NOT be in any decent shape untill 2022.
I seriously wonder how LeClerc is going to cope with that in the meantime. Sainz will do just fine, but LeClerc?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"