[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dtro
dtro

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Scorpaguy wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 04:17
I would be all for keeping Bino if he was delivering. However, he took over a team that had posted dramatic gains in 2017 and 2018. The 2019 car seemed to be designed with Bonneville in mind and was a total dog after fuelgate. The 2020 model seems worse. Strategy calls seem incoherent...and late at that. Pit stops and reliability inconsistent. Just how many years is he allowed to reside upon the descending side of the bell curve?
The loss of Sergio Marchionne, and the ousting of Arrivabene really upended the power structure at Ferrari I think.

Scorpaguy

So Sergio passes mid season 2018...Arri is at the helm and performing respectfully. He gets unceremoniously canned in January. Does anyone know if Sergio and Arri were mates?

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

mattylwd wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:04
C Plinius Secundus wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 23:30
I've heard some very interesting statements from Mattia Binotto, where he says the team "is in a storm", but "not in crisis"... I'm kind of puzzled by this, if he says this just in order to address the journalists, for many italians and tifosi (me included), it's a bad joke, almost infuriating (the italian press is asking for some heads to roll), but if he really believes it, it's actually worse. Is he disconnected from reality? Binotto is an excellent engineer, but as I said previously, the team principal position is not suited for him. Sad.
Remember all the hate against Abiteboul past years. It takes some time to reform a team. Don't forget Binotto only is teamprinciple since begin 2019. If he's capable, he needs some time to reform the team.
Yeah but Ferrari isn't starting from the same point Renault was! Ferrari looks like they entered F1 a year or 2 ago!

How a team so well established/funded/resourced could fall this far, this quickly, is mind boggling.

I think the recent comments from Binotto simply amount to him mounting a campaign, already, to save his own head. Of course he is going to preach a need for time! If he can't get the bus headed in the right direction, out with this and get someone in there who can.

Regarding some of the comments about the loss of performance...I think what he is trying to diplomatically point out is that the Ferrari last year was a bit of a dog as well, but it had a massive power advantage after the summer break that made up for all kinds of sins in the chassis.

Now they have lost all that power, and now have a underpowered dog whose old flaws in other areas are exposed yet again due to the lack of power.

I understand what's happening in that sense, I think.

Binotto is also starting a PR campaign, trying to brace the Tifosi for a bad 2021 as well. I understand all that. I am totally on board with completely sacrificing next season so that the 2022 car is exceptional.

Look for much improvement in next years 2021 engine. If it is a night and day improvement over this year, we'll know the transformation is unlikely to succeed and Binotto should polish up his resume. He's going to need it.

He can take his goofy haircut and eyeglasses somewhere else, far from Maranello!

Deadpool

falonso81 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 20:13
Well, the F60 won a race, which i highly doubt the SF1000 can.
That victory was the result of an incredible set of circumstances. Maybe in such a situation sf 1000 would also win, but not in Spa.

Schippke
Schippke

falonso81 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 20:13
Well, the F60 won a race, which i highly doubt the SF1000 can. The F14T on the other hand was not as bad. It was frequent point scorer :mrgreen:
F60 by comparative standards was a bad car compared to 2008, but Kimi got a fair bit out of it; That win in Spa was definitely unexpected! Had Massa been in the second seat and not have his unfortunate accident in Budapest, I bet they would've ended up a comfortable 3rd in the standings with a fair bit more points.

Funnily enough, the F14T and the SF1000 (currently) share identical stats with 2 podiums each. =P~

bucker
bucker

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 02:01
bucker wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 22:29
This team is lacking everywhere. Did anybody ever heard race engineer said "We are still on plan A." They are always considering plan C. How can they be so wrong all the time they are always converting to different plans. Today they didn't know what to say to driver, which plan is going to be executed.
Safety cars change plans, it's very simple actually.
We saw safety car in Spa, not in all 7 races.

LM10
LM10

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-bi ... o/4867923/

Part of a long and honest interview with Binotto:

Less horsepower in the engine. And then? What are the errors in the design of this Ferrari?
"It was born to look for more downforce, knowing that it had a superior engine. Then there were the technical guidelines and we found a car with high resistance to advancement and few horsepower. The problem arose from the sum of the two."

How is it possible to lose a second in a year?
"It's not a punishment because it didn't just hit us: all the engineers lost performance, some more and some less. In 2019 we covered the limits of the car with the engine".

And why didn't you work on improving the frame?
"We did it, but still thinking about that power advantage, which then disappeared. And by the time we realized it, it was too late."

When did you know that you could no longer use certain systems in the power unit?
"Between the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020, and when we could have started to correct, Covid and freezing of the rules arrived and we found ourselves in this situation".

Do you trust your team or do you need reinforcements?
"Yes, but in F1 you are never satisfied. There is always the desire to add new elements".

Why should the same men who designed this car and that before build a winning one in the future?
"Because they are the ones who have come closest to Mercedes in the last five years, fighting for the World Championship".

Will 2021 be more like 2020 or 2018 when you were fighting for the World Cup?
"The next single-seater will necessarily be an evolution of this one, due to the freezing of the rules. But there are opportunities: the engine will be all new, it has been running on the bench for months, we are counting on it. In these days it is then up to the vote of the Council An important aerodynamic change in the world, with changes especially to the rear. It is a possibility to exploit ".

Do you feel or have you felt in danger?
"Honestly never, because I know I have the support of my managers. But I questioned myself, I thought about whether I can be suitable for the role of team principal."

Does anyone know what he might mean with the aerodynamic change - "changes especially to the rear" - when talking about opportunities for next season?

MtthsMlw

Not much room to play around there. So I guess less rake.

the EDGE
the EDGE

MtthsMlw wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 23:44
I imagine they plan to spend their tokens on revising the rear suspension geometry

Schippke
Schippke

LM10 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 23:23

"The next single-seater will necessarily be an evolution of this one, due to the freezing of the rules. But there are opportunities: the engine will be all new, it has been running on the bench for months, we are counting on it. In these days it is then up to the vote of the Council An important aerodynamic change in the world, with changes especially to the rear. It is a possibility to exploit ".
That is somewhat positive to hear... will be very interesting to see if they manage to claw back any performance, especially on the straights, for 2021.

LM10 wrote:
Does anyone know what he might mean with the aerodynamic change - "changes especially to the rear" - when talking about opportunities for next season?
I'm fairly confident he might be referencing the changes to the 2021 regulations regarding the Floor, as they look to try and limit the amount of downforce the cars produce to stop Pirelli having to make new tyres to cope with the extra loads... and/or push the tyre pressures even further up than what we're seeing today.

This article from the F1 website describes it quite well:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... n0wDt.html

Moore77

Schippke wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 03:16
LM10 wrote:

That is somewhat positive to hear... will be very interesting to see if they manage to claw back any performance, especially on the straights, for 2021.

LM10 wrote:
I'm fairly confident he might be referencing the changes to the 2021 regulations regarding the Floor, as they look to try and limit the amount of downforce the cars produce to stop Pirelli having to make new tyres to cope with the extra loads... and/or push the tyre pressures even further up than what we're seeing today.

It is heartening to hear about the new engine. I was wondering about something like this as the news about Second sensor came last October. Back then, they must have made a conscious decision to give up on 2020 and focus on building a new PU. If this is true then there can be hope.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

LM10
LM10

Schippke wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 03:16

Very interesting, I seem to have missed it actually. It sounds like a pretty significant change, to be honest. And I agree with you, it seems like he was talking about that.

MtthsMlw wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 23:44
I also think they'll go for less rake and after reading the article about the changes to the floor which are going to come in action next season, I'm even more sure about that.
Pretty little room for improvements, but these rear floor changes open a new door now. I'm surprised and it's a nice possibility to spice things up a bit.

Jolle
Jolle

A break failure on the fastest track isn’t confidence building...

timbo
timbo

Wow, the team seems to get a whole new level of failure every weekend.
When it rains, it pours...
I hope they'd exhaust all the bad luck there is there for them.
The most important thing is that drivers stay safe.

Deadpool

I hate myself for writing this but somehow it was easier for me when both Fearri's dropped out of the race ... as euthanasia for a dying patient ... the agony to end ... It's good that Leclerc is not hurt and that he still has the desire to fight.