[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This whole race was a disaster. Still kudos to Norris for trying at least. He did a good try.

We at least retain that 3rd place but we need to bring that full package that works with the slim nose now.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Race to forget. Bad strategy for Lando too.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

What a horror show.

Darth-Piekus

Everything went to hell today. Sainz doing a huge mistake taking Lando with him and then bad strategy.

Still we are lucky to have kept that 3rd championship position but the team must step up their game. F1 and it's evolution punishes those kind of mistakes.

Emag
Emag

As I said, nobody makes mistakes on purpose. --- happens. Just wasn't our day. Not worth shooting yourself on the foot over it. It's frustrating but it's done now. Time to look forward for the next race.

Darth-Piekus

Oh well. Next race. I'm sure we will bounce back.

diffuser

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 22:56
I'm starting to feel that letting Pat Fry go was a mistake. Last year, we were kind on tires and this year not as much. We weren't too sensitive to wind last year either and this year we are. Hopefully, the team can get to the bottom of it. Looking at the big picture, we have had some wonderful races and are third in the constructors. I'm just hoping we can keep it that way.
We didn't race at Mugello either. It wasn't our choice to let him go. He didn't want to stay.

Emag
Emag

Apparently Lando had problems with the steering for the whole race. So pretty f*ked up day overall.

CjC
CjC

Mega frustrating race today.
Sainz is racking up a fair car damage bill..... #-o

Least we are still hanging on by our fingernails to 3rd in the constructors- all of our good work in Monza has now been negated :roll:

Least Ocon is still being the absolute tool that he is and did his best to sabotage Ricanult today
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Also our greatest asset compared to our direct competitors is our stronger driver line up which isn’t performing to it full potential over the last 2 weekends..... so adding to my Sainz comment.... he’s had the car in the wall 3 times in the last 4 times he’s driven it.... that’s very poor

Jackles-UK

CjC wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:18
Also our greatest asset compared to our direct competitors is our stronger driver line up which isn’t performing to it full potential over the last 2 weekends..... so adding to my Sainz comment.... he’s had the car in the wall 3 times in the last 4 times he’s driven it.... that’s very poor
Carlos didn’t even start the race in Belgium, got 2nd place in Monza and you cannot assign any blame to him for the crash at the restart in Mugello. Absolutely agree it was his error today but to say he’s making a habit of it is grossly unfair on him.

Generally just a race to forget today, made worse by the fact that all of our midfield competitors scored good points even with a Stroll DNF. Hopefully the Nurburgring is kinder to us but I expect RP to be the pace setters of the midfield there, Renault maybe less competitive with the more flowing, aero-focussed layout.

CjC
CjC

Jackles-UK wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:56
CjC wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:18
Carlos didn’t even start the race in Belgium, got 2nd place in Monza and you cannot assign any blame to him for the crash at the restart in Mugello. Absolutely agree it was his error today but to say he’s making a habit of it is grossly unfair on him.
Carlos is a solid driver for us don’t get me wrong.
I didn’t want to sound like I was pointing the finger at him and saying he’s developed a habit I was merely stating that having the car in the wall so often is the last thing we need when we have our backs up against the wall defending our 3rd place against lesser drivers with superior cars.

Now more than ever we need to made laptime gains to start consistently beating the Ricanult and Racing points rather than just following them home right behind them and beating them on the odd occasion.

Darth-Piekus

The thing is that the team has lost the early edge. Apart from the first two races in Austria(fastest lap podiums), the second Silverstone Race and Monza(almost victory) the team was behind Renault at least and sometimes behind Racing Point also. It's good that the team is consistent in their defence where they aren't the 3rd fastest car but we have lost that also in the last two races. Pit stop problems continue to happen, wind continues to affect the car more than the rest, we seem to be having problems behind other cars more than others. A solution has to arrive quickly if we are to keep that 3rd place.

bauc

BAD BAD DAY, what a rookie mistake by SAI and he took NOR with him.... a RACE TO FORGET
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Mansell89
Mansell89

Bad day at the office but one of those things. Hopefully we’ve got it out of our system and can just focus on executing a clean couple of weekends at Nurburgring and Portugal.