[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Lucky wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 17:01
SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:46
It seems both cars went back to the “old” barge boards and front wings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/13 ... 10432?s=19
That picture is of the new BBs.

M840TR
M840TR

I suspect Norris didn’t put a good lap in the last Q3 run. Disappointing. Could’ve been p7 at least. That P3 is slipping away by the race.

Chicane
Chicane

Both drivers admittedly did not put in a good lap in Q3. I think the pace was there in the car for a top 6 spot but the drivers didn't manage to maximize the potential today.
Quickshifter

M840TR
M840TR

Maybe the new aero made the car a bit edgy.

CjC
CjC

M840TR wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 18:05
I suspect Norris didn’t put a good lap in the last Q3 run. Disappointing. Could’ve been p7 at least. That P3 is slipping away by the race.
I agree. Personally I think the failure to double score decent points in Portimao was critical in this fight for third.
Leclerc is faster than us. Ricanult is faster and arguably Gasly is now.
We are fighting for scraps and tomorrow is gonna be tough starting on the softs in P9 and 10 and if Lando has one of his opening laps were he forgets he’s in a race then adding in the difficulty we think this circuit will bring for overtaking- we are gonna struggle to even score a handful of points.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 18:33
M840TR wrote:
I agree. Personally I think the failure to double score decent points in Portimao was critical in this fight for third.
We are fighting for scraps and tomorrow is gonna be tough starting on the softs in P9 and 10 and if Lando has one of his opening laps were he forgets he’s in a race then adding in the difficulty we think this circuit will bring for overtaking- we are gonna struggle to even score a handful of points.
Also we keep hearing from the drivers ‘we just weren’t quick enough’

I’d be more confident as a Renault fan than a Mclaren one right now

Chicane
Chicane

M840TR wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 18:17
Maybe the new aero made the car a bit edgy.
Both drivers said the car was feeling good.
Quickshifter

Chicane
Chicane

With only practice session i think it was more about drivers than cars especially in a closely contested midfield. Mclaren have done a solid job of understanding the upgrades and now the car is working well. Next year with Ricciardo's arrival we will have a proper reference as to how quick the car actually is. This is exactly why Mclaren signed Danny Ric, they need to know where the car stands. I am not saying Norris or Sainz aren't doing a good job but there is that last bit of ambiguity especially those last couple of tenths when push comes to shove.
Quickshifter

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:#fakenews (smallsoldiers post)
Lol... My mistake, on the transmission it looked liked both cars were using the old wings... My bad :)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
M840TR wrote:
According to Pirelli the fastest stints will be either Soft - Medium or Medium - Soft with negligible difference between the 2 strategies... Starting on Softs might play well for the team

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:18
CjC wrote:
M840TR wrote:
According to Pirelli the fastest stints will be either Soft - Medium or Medium - Soft with negligible difference between the 2 strategies... Starting on Softs might play well for the team

Interesting you say that. I thought the hards looked like a decent tyre in practice but I don’t have any access to any tyre data however Albon does and he said on paper it’s looks high deg.
Tomorrow I’ll tell

M840TR
M840TR

CjC wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:23
SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:18
CjC wrote:

Interesting you say that. I thought the hards looked like a decent tyre in practice but I don’t have any access to any tyre data however Albon does and he said on paper it’s looks high deg.
Tomorrow I’ll tell
Lets hope Redbull ruins Albon's race by pitting on lap 5 again so that might be 1 car outta the way lmao.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
Didn't they split the Renault's and finish ahead of both RP?

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:42
M840TR wrote:
But Ricanult is 5th on the grid.....
We could still be P4 in the constructors this time tomorrow but Renault in P3 and RP P5...

diffuser

CjC wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:47
diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:42
M840TR wrote:
But Ricanult is 5th on the grid.....
We could still be P4 in the constructors this time tomorrow but Renault in P3 and RP P5...
You never know what will happen with retirements but pretty sure Ric will not finish ahead of Albon.

Worried about what's gonna happen with 11 and down with those cars starting on Mediums or Hards. Passing is hard so you need a gap to come out into on a tire change. Think the points will depend on where that gap is, when the gap happens, will there be cars on Hards going really deep and slower ahead of you.