[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

I don't really think the RB15 was a better car than the RB16, i do believe the RB15 however was stronger against the competition compared to how the RB16 holds up to the competition.
It also seems like this year there are more 'issues' with the 'powerplant' compared to last season, which holds back results even more.

Also, I think RBR and Max have much more a case of 'bad luck' this year, which stains the overall picture aswell.

It's a shame about the early-season retirements, and the 'safe' yet unneccesary decision to pit Max when the tires were exploding all around @ the competition. That would have been a clear win for Max.

The sum of it is that just too much problems appeared this season right when they should have been getting the most of it now that Ferrari is out of the picture.

I'm not surprised Hamilton is grabbing the title this year, I think nobody ever doubted that anyway, but I do believe it's handed to him much easier due to the complete lack of actual competition this season - first and foremost because of Ferrari's demise, and second, definately, due to RBR's issues. As for Hamilton's comments on the 'second' RBR driver, it's all fun and games but Lewis himself punted Alex out atleast two times in the last two seasons, both in circumstances where Alex could have had a very impressive result.
Offcourse this is all part of the game. Still, to me, despite the last race result, Albon isn't convincing me to belong in that 'topseat'.

Ricciardo, Vettel, Sainz, Perez, Norris, Raikkonen, LeClerc, all are drivers whom to me are drivers who 'earn' that seat. There's a big question mark of Russell imho still, but i'm leaning towards a possibility. Gasly, Albon, Kvyat, Magnussen, Grosjean, etc etc are the type of drivers who are definately fast, handy, and have their capabilities, but to me, don't belong / earn a topteam seat (just to be clear, I see those teams as Ferrari, Mercedes, RedBull, Mclaren and Renault). They imho belong to 'second tier' teams like Alfa Romeo, Alpha Tauri, Haas, Williams, Racing Point (which soon could change), and former teams like Caterham, Manor, etc.

This btw is regardless whether a top-driver would make any difference whatsoever in the championship results though, mainly due to the fact that Mercedes is just so damn mighty that the rest doesn't really matters so much. The end result will be, no matter what, that RBR (nor Ferrari) will be WDC or WCC. It's Mercedes, again and again.
Yes, RBR may finish 2nd in the WCC and Max could finish 2nd, it's just not what they're in for, especially with Ferrari 'out of the picture'.

To be very honest, I wouldn't like to see Max @ Mercedes to be fair. After all, that would only (potentially) 'fix' things for Max and his ego. All we would get is a spectacular driver alongside Hamilton, who could beat him and give him a run for his money, and potentially see a repeat of the Rosberg and Alonso periods. We all know Bottas just isn't cut for the task, so there's that anyway.

After all, Max @ Merc doesn't change the fact Merc is mighty. The result would remain the same: Merc will win. everything. Just like they're doing now.

What we WANT to see is Max in a RB beating Lewis in a Merc.
What we WANT to see is LeClerc in a Ferrari beating Lewis in a Merc.
What we WANT to see is Alonso in a Renault beating Lewis in a Merc.
What we WANT to see is Daniel in a Mclaren beating Lewis in a Merc.
What we WANT to see is Vettel in a Aston beating Lewis in a Merc.

That won't happen this season, that is clear as day, we'll get to wait for 2021 for that potential. Perhaps we finally will. It's reasonable to believe we won't though.

The thing is that - despite 2020 turning out to be a bonkers season - we are seeing just the things we don't want to see.

We DON'T want to see WDC challengers in a DNF.
We DON'T want to see no challenge for the championship leader.
We DON'T want to see the 2nd driver in the fastest car not even being able to mount a challenge.

These 3 elements however are exactly how the season is going down, for a while to be honest.
The last element COULD be fixed for example with a guy like Max, but it would still not change that we don't want the 'boredom' of an untouchable team.

After all, it would get old fast seeing Max vs Lewis in the same car both sprinting away with a 6 second lead every lap from the start, and the race being decided by the team itself looking after which guy is in front after the first corner and then is able to put a 1-second gap to his teammate. Because let's face it, if Max would be @ Merc, that is how it would go down.
Max in front after T1, just before DRS enabled and due to the undisturbed air Max gets to build a 1-second plus gap, race done.
Lewis in front after T1, just before DRS enabled, and due to the undisturbed air Lewis gets to build a 1-second plus gap, race done.

the ONLY difference is that there is going to be more variety in between the Merc drivers compared to Bottas. But that's really the end to it.

The 'excitement' of Max beating Lewis for a GP win is absolutely not the same and even doubtfull compared to when Max would beat him in a RedBull/Ferrari/Mclaren/Renault/Aston.

But, the fact remains. NONE of any of the teams are doing ENOUGH.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ispano6

There really is no sense in talking about replacing Albon anymore this year since the RB16 is built around two very similar drivers not only in physique and height but also in driving style and car feedback. Alex is a dynamic racer with an excellent feel for track limits similar to Max. He is one of the most exciting drivers to watch during a race and has shown he can come through from the back of the field when the car is in the right window. He shouldn't worry about being replaced since Pierre and possibly Daniil will be staying at AlphaTauri as they look to become RedBull cars #3 and 4. You can tell Alex's relationship with his engineer is flourishing and just needs to work at the starts. RBH need to get more practice starts in their program and really work at delivering the right torque curve and deployment strategy for the starts that have long straights. It's on them to get the RB16 competitive for all parts of the race including going an alternative tyre strategy for the first stint.

dtro
dtro

Mr. Outside can't be dropped, can't be stopped. He's got the chops.

nzjrs

dtro wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 19:16
I'm extremely confused by this reply :?

dtro
dtro

nzjrs wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 20:37
dtro wrote:
I've noticed that Albon really likes going around the outside to overtake, every time he does it my friend and I sing "round the outside" (an Eminem lyric). His engineer called him "Mr. Outside" after the Tuscan GP I believe.

I want to see more of Mr. (Round the) Outside at RB/in F1, don't want to see him dropped.

godlameroso

dtro wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 21:01
nzjrs wrote:
dtro wrote:
I've noticed that Albon really likes going around the outside to overtake, every time he does it my friend and I sing "round the outside" (an Eminem lyric). His engineer called him "Mr. Outside" after the Tuscan GP I believe.

I want to see more of Mr. (Round the) Outside at RB/in F1, don't want to see him dropped.
Eminem copied that from Canibus, which again was copied from "a catcher in the rye". Box cutta' blade runner.

Have you ever read a book called 'the catcher in the rye' it just so happens I'm looking for a copy I can buy, canibus is coming for ya'll round the outside...rhyme quite bold for the time, as weird as Michael Jackson's nose from the side.
Saishū kōnā

nzjrs

Hahaha that's actually awesome. Thanks both for the explanation. TIL

(my parents gifted me less than zero musical talent)

dtro
dtro

godlameroso wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 21:07
dtro wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

Eminem copied that from Canibus, which again was copied from "a catcher in the rye". Box cutta' blade runner.

Have you ever read a book called 'the catcher in the rye' it just so happens I'm looking for a copy I can buy, canibus is coming for ya'll round the outside...rhyme quite bold for the time, as weird as Michael Jackson's nose from the side.
Deep cut!

Sieper

Road cars have a can-bus. Not a can I bus but OK! Round the outside is where Hamilton will take you out. Did it to Albon in Austria this year and Max in China. He is very handy at that. And it will Learn you not to try that with him.

godlameroso

Sieper wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 23:11
Road cars have a can-bus. Not a can I bus but OK! Round the outside is where Hamilton will take you out. Did it to Albon in Austria this year and Max in China. He is very handy at that. And it will Learn you not to try that with him.
Hamilton learned from Maldonado, remember Valencia 2012.
Saishū kōnā

Moore77

dtro wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
dtro wrote:

It's a risk that he is willing to take as there is nothing to lose. It would work if there is a good pace advantage against the car he is trying and especially if the other guy is willing to let that happen. On good days it works, like in Spa last year and Mugello this year. But when a driver doesn't let that happen, then he would be badly compromised on gravel like in Monza last year or lose the race like in Austria this year. One can keep arguing whether the other drivers are right or wrong under the rules, but stewards never punish a driver pushing the other driver on the outside to defend his position. So Albon would get it right sometimes and at times he would pay the price.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Sieper

godlameroso wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 00:18
Sieper wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 23:11
Hamilton learned from Maldonado, remember Valencia 2012.
But there Hamilton was being overtaken, from the inside. Although the corner before that he did make Maldonado go very wide (at the outside).

dtro
dtro

Moore77 wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 05:24
dtro wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

It's a risk that he is willing to take as there is nothing to lose. It would work if there is a good pace advantage against the car he is trying and especially if the other guy is willing to let that happen. On good days it works, like in Spa last year and Mugello this year. But when a driver doesn't let that happen, then he would be badly compromised on gravel like in Monza last year or lose the race like in Austria this year. One can keep arguing whether the other drivers are right or wrong under the rules, but stewards never punish a driver pushing the other driver on the outside to defend his position. So Albon would get it right sometimes and at times he would pay the price.
It's definitely risky, especially with the rules leaving a lot of leeway for the driver on the inside to leave marginal space to induce an error/prevent the overtake but when Albon, or really any driver makes a move around the outside work it's pretty nifty.

Mr. Outside makes it look good when he's not getting bullied off the track/hit mid corner causing him to spin a la Brazil/Austria.

Sieper

Plus Hamilton did actually got punished for Austria. Rightly so in my opinion but let’s not debate that :-). But, the punishment is very light for punting another off track. Maybe if Albon crashed out there it would have been more severe. Or maybe if he damages his own car, that is a risk too. Then you punish yourself.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Any news on Max's failure?