[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Yes Boys! What a qualy, What a dare with yellow and what a speed. Front row between 3 2020 mercs. Congrats!

Marti_EF3

That was unexpected! Right now I'm still thinking where the hell that pace came during Q3?? All weekend was looking bad, battling with the Renaults and Mclaren, and then boom! You jump into the Merc league...

Interesting race tomorrow! :wtf: =D>

mem

Gasly out qualified Albon LOL

ispano6

Marti_EF3 wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:05
That was unexpected! Right now I'm still thinking where the hell that pace came during Q3?? All weekend was looking bad, battling with the Renaults and Mclaren, and then boom! You jump into the Merc league...

No sense in shortening the longevity of the PU in FP. Must use it wisely.

Marti_EF3

ispano6 wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:17
Marti_EF3 wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:05

No sense in shortening the longevity of the PU in FP. Must use it wisely.
Also the minutes waiting for the green light after the red flag were a great stress test for the PU not to overheat! And it was P2 at the end today :lol:

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

maguetox
maguetox

mem wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:07
Today's Albon Qualy was one of the worst with almost 1.2 adrift Verstappen. Terrible performance, I don't know if he is feeling the pressure the press and everybody is putting on him.

Hope he is having a better race than the qualy.

The spring race from the start to the first corner is going to be very exciting, hoping Max could have good start and the medium tyres have a better or very similar traction than the soft of Hamilton.

Sayeman

maguetox wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:34
mem wrote:
Today's Albon Qualy was one of the worst with almost 1.2 adrift Verstappen. Terrible performance, I don't know if he is feeling the pressure the press and everybody is putting on him.

The spring race from the start to the first corner is going to be very exciting, hoping Max could have good start and the medium tyres have a better or very similar traction than the soft of Hamilton.
Its more like 9 tenths. Max picked up a huge slipstream worth 3 thenths
Never Give up.

Marti_EF3

Problem is Max starting on the dirty side with Mediums. He must "block" bottas if he wants any chances of being P1 on T2. If he manages to stay in front of Ham (of course if he can do it at the start) then Lewis will be in a disadvantage with the softs, but the pace of the Mercs maybe is too much for holding them back or covering an undercut.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Mega lap

Hkbruin2
Hkbruin2

Bottas hasn’t been that great on race starts this season so Max can definitely slide over and tuck in behind Lewis. Hopefully the medium tire advantage doesn’t get wiped out on a first lap incident or safety car. A great opportunity for Max tomorrow on a track that RB hasn’t shown to do well at.

Alex on the other hand doesn’t have a natural feel for this track. He’s always going over the sausage kerb on turn 2 and also loses time in sector 3 at turn 18. Hopefully he’ll show up tomorrow and pull off some good outside moves again on the long left to turn 3.

godlameroso

Max did a mega lap, got as close to the sausage kerbs as possible without binning it. 2mm closer and he would have lost it like Vettel.

Thats the kind of precision you need to be fast around here.

Looks like Verstappen altered his driving style a bit to take more advantage of the strengths of the chassis. He braked quite early for 4, he tried to maximize the time he spent mid corner, instead of minimizing the braking phase. This way he could settle the car down mid corner then then power out since once settled the downforce is very strong.

I feel that is the main difference between Verstappen and Albon. Albon tries to brake at the normal distance so the car spends less time getting settled down mid corner. In race trim braking distance increases and so you are kind of forced to drive like Verstappen.

Suffice to say it is not an easy car to drive but has massive potential, it just takes a peculiar driving style.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Part of the lap reminds me of Alonso's technique back in the day, using excessive steering lock to induce understeer on oversteer corners.

Saishū kōnā

etusch

mem wrote:
until Q3 I thought ATs will beat RBR :lol:

Sieper

Sayeman wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:35
maguetox wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:34
mem wrote:

Its more like 9 tenths. Max picked up a huge slipstream worth 3 thenths
Bottas, but that was not 3 tenths. Plus, they positioned themselves exactly right to take it.