[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GhostF1
GhostF1

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

I'm not entirely sure why this is suddenly again "bad news for Honda". They were clearly second best end of last season, and to be honest that was track based, they outperformed Merc on some final tracks, with again, impressive reliability with no actual failures. Ferrari.. well, lets not get onto that (clearly they were a bit naughty), Renault had every sort of problem, K issues, H issues, turbo issues, ICE failures.

They are at worst 2nd to Mercedes at the moment and although the double PU issues in Austria make me a little concerned, they seem to be electrical gremlins, both still run. I'm not sure where the Renault is quicker comment came from. Where? Qualifying and Race they were no faster and actually apart from Lando turning it up to qualifying mode in the final lap, the Renault powered teams were slower than the Honda ones. So that's clearly a baseless, antagonistic comment.

And there is a reason McMika98 is on my ignore list, I suggest you lot do the same. To him, no matter what, Honda and whatever team they are related to is always and will always be total rubbish.

loekf2
loekf2

GhostF1 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 07:04
I'm not entirely sure why this is suddenly again "bad news for Honda". They were clearly second best end of last season, and to be honest that was track based, they outperformed Merc on some final tracks, with again, impressive reliability with no actual failures. Ferrari.. well, lets not get onto that (clearly they were a bit naughty), Renault had every sort of problem, K issues, H issues, turbo issues, ICE failures.

They are at worst 2nd to Mercedes at the moment and although the double PU issues in Austria make me a little concerned, they seem to be electrical gremlins, both still run. I'm not sure where the Renault is quicker comment came from. Where? Qualifying and Race they were no faster and actually apart from Lando turning it up to qualifying mode in the final lap, the Renault powered teams were slower than the Honda ones. So that's clearly a baseless, antagonistic comment.

And there is a reason McMika98 is on my ignore list, I suggest you lot do the same. To him, no matter what, Honda and whatever team they are related to is always and will always be total rubbish.
"Electrical gremlins" makes no sense to me. RB16 should be similar to RB15. What has changed ? Someone decided to optimize electrical cabling just because you can ? ICU is closely linked to the PU. Why would you change lots of software in that ICU ? Normally you build on existing code if that code was future proof.

It sounds like that during testing in Barcelona they didn't push the car to its limits, then with the 3 month break they forgot the small issues. I remember that during Barcelona testing, the RB16 was never high in the rankings, but Red Bull claimed no worries, we have our own program, all is well.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Pyrone89

GhostF1 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 07:04

They are at worst 2nd to Mercedes at the moment and although the double PU issues in Austria make me a little concerned, they seem to be electrical gremlins, both still run.
Because they are clear 2nd best. And the goal was the WDC. As you can see from the video the Mercedes is yet again the class of the field both in straightline and corners. Honda had a very aggressive development planned but suddenly had to do only a 1.1 spec instead of the wanted improvements. Honda had invested a lot of money in catching Mercedes which is now hamstrung because of the development block that has suddenly been announced.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

etusch

what we have learnt from last season about Honda updates and performance gains, you can not judge it from first race but second or third race.
In the other hand we still wait for Redbull too. I don't believe they went backward. We need to see a few race more.

Revs84
Revs84

Wouter wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 11:08
https://i.imgur.com/IGVhBtK.gif
Interesting. This article by TJ16 states that Horner said it was an electrical issue.

https://thejudge13.com/2020/07/07/horne ... -red-bull/

Until it comes from a reliable source, I doubt we will really know what the issue was - if we ever will know that is.

Revs84
Revs84

And indeed Horner said it was the flywheel...

Luckily he was the only one speaking English :)

loekf2
loekf2

Revs84 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 13:09

Interesting selection of people: a RB driver, RB principle, a former RB driver still paid by Red Bull and an ex RB driver sometimes dreaming of a return to RB.

nzjrs

loekf2 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 13:16
Revs84 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 13:09

Interesting selection of people: a RB driver, RB principle, a former RB driver still paid by Red Bull and an ex RB driver sometimes dreaming of a return to RB.
Relatively common, it was on ServusTV - the TV channel owned by Mateschitz (owner of red bull)

foneFanatiq

Does anyone know if they are able to work on the car during the week leading up to the next race? Or is everything shut down at the track until Friday ?

velizare
velizare

foneFanatiq wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 14:55
Does anyone know if they are able to work on the car during the week leading up to the next race? Or is everything shut down at the track until Friday ?
they can work on the cars afaik.

Marti_EF3

So, flywheel are part of Honda design? Or is designed by redbull to fit perfectly with the Gearbox?? Also Albon had the same problem??

Sieper

Big question mark. It sounds like redbull when I read Horners statement.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Marti_EF3 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 16:39
So, flywheel are part of Honda design? Or is designed by redbull to fit perfectly with the Gearbox?? Also Albon had the same problem??
I think they mentioned Albon had a missfire