[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

From Gptoday:

“We were in the wind tunnel and he said ‘So, you can’t run the '22 car at the moment?’ and we said we can’t do it because of the regulations. So he said ‘When can you start developing?’ So we said the first of January.

“He asked ‘Are you running on the first of January?’ We said, normally we don’t, but this year we might, but it’s New Year. So he said ‘Okay, we have to run on the first of January. I will come here and help you'.”

So, till end of 2021 we are not going to see 2022 engine and power unit. is that right? or are they going to work on 2022 in 2021 car?

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It is time to have Alonso in this year car for lat two race. I doubt Renault can gain the 3rd place back, I hope they even fall back to 6th place.

As they are concentrating on 2022, there is no sense in keeping Ric for reaming 3 races in this year. If they replace with Alonso, atleast they can improve 2021 based on Alonso's feedback.

As Ric moving to Mclaren, renault will not share any development information to him, so better to swap with Alonso. This will be a right choice.

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 06:18
It is time to have Alonso in this year car for lat two race. I doubt Renault can gain the 3rd place back, I hope they even fall back to 6th place.

As they are concentrating on 2022, there is no sense in keeping Ric for reaming 3 races in this year. If they replace with Alonso, atleast they can improve 2021 based on Alonso's feedback.

As Ric moving to Mclaren, renault will not share any development information to him, so better to swap with Alonso. This will be a right choice.
Cyril was asked that a while back. His response was a hard no.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Okay. Let see if his perception changed now. I am confused as well. If he is not going to return this year, why he is wasting Renault's resources and money in testing? He can do this next year late Jan or Feb before the actual test starts?

He is doing his testing today and we have ~3 month for next year testing. Again he has to start from 0 right? 3 months without drive does not make any sense for this testing.

I don't understand for the 4 day test for Alonso with 2018 car.

factory_p

You don't ?

It's pretty simple though : in a few weeks, all tracks in Europe will be unusable - testing on a track with an asphalt at 5°C is pointless.

And teams don't take their track crew to the middle east in January : that's pretty much the only time they can spend at home with their family. Plus it would cost a lot more : some of the equipment used today for Alonso's test session will be shipped with the rest of the race equipment at low cost - thanks to the FOM deal with DHL. If you go there on your own in January, you have to pay for the entire shipment yourself.

Big Tea

selvam_e2002 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 08:55
Okay. Let see if his perception changed now. I am confused as well. If he is not going to return this year, why he is wasting Renault's resources and money in testing? He can do this next year late Jan or Feb before the actual test starts?

He is doing his testing today and we have ~3 month for next year testing. Again he has to start from 0 right? 3 months without drive does not make any sense for this testing.

Dan has a contract to drive, as do the sponsors. It is probably not as easy as just saying ' thank you, off you go'
Drivers have to register and be approved bu the contracts recognition board, so if Dan disagreed, it would be a veto
(not that he would, just he could)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 08:55

Yeah, I can't say why he said it. Just that he did.

Be surprised to see if it didn't start a domino effect across the 3 teams .

Emag
Emag

Even if Cyril wanted to put Alonso in the car for the remaining races, it would be a stupid decision. There is no chance Alonso can drive that car as fast as Daniel is right now when he has no experience at all with it. If you put Alonso on the car right now you are basically saying bye bye to 3rd and inviting Ferrari to take 5th too.

djos

Yeah they’d be better off benching Ocon and have Daniel and Alonso working together for the rest of the season.

That would be rather epic imo and I know Daniel has huge respect for Alonso.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 23:04
Yeah they’d be better off benching Ocon and have Daniel and Alonso working together for the rest of the season.

As much I'd love to see Alonso in there, that would be a HUGE blow to Ocon's ego. He is still racing with us next year you know.

djos

Yeah I know, I’m just saying that if they really wanted to get Alonso match fit and maximise team points, that would make the most sense.
"In downforce we trust"

MKlaus
MKlaus

djos wrote:

Daniel is on way out and no organization would like to share their development direction with an outgoing employee. It is one thing to look at as a fan and another to look at it from an organization's standpoint. Alonso is already working with the team for over a month and Ocon is their driver for next year. So it makes more sense to keep Ocon going with Alonso instead of Daniel. Besides, Daniel's engineers know every bit of details of setup and all other parameters and they are not going anywhere. With that they can build next year's car without having Daniel actively working on it.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

MKlaus wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 07:42
djos wrote:

Daniel is on way out and no organization would like to share their development direction with an outgoing employee. It is one thing to look at as a fan and another to look at it from an organization's standpoint. Alonso is already working with the team for over a month and Ocon is their driver for next year. So it makes more sense to keep Ocon going with Alonso instead of Daniel. Besides, Daniel's engineers know every bit of details of setup and all other parameters and they are not going anywhere. With that they can build next year's car without having Daniel actively working on it.
I agree. If F1 not allowing Alonso to use test in Bahrain(young driver test), Renault will put Alonso in Ric car for last two races.

It seems Renault waiting on F1. May this week we will get clear picture.

djos

selvam_e2002 wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 06:40
Renault will put Alonso in Ric car for last two races.

It seems Renault waiting on F1. May this week we will get clear picture.
And risk losing millions in team points! Not, going, to, happen!

Plus Daniel is still working with Renault to develop the car - clearly Ocon is not up to the task and Alonso is not F1 match fit yet (incredible talent is only part of the F1 equation).

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-ricc ... y-divorce/
"In downforce we trust"

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

If you look at his(Alonso) out side F1 career and his documentary in amazon, you will see how much dedication he given and the effort he put is tremendous. Alonso can quickly adopt the car and I don't think he need half a year to learn it.

If you don't put him this year, you still lose his direction/thoughts with next year and 2022 car. It would be big hit on Renault. they cannot build the 2021 and 22 with Ric even he is winning this year. We have to look at a whole picture instead of just looking prize money.