Driver Salaries of 2020

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MKlaus
MKlaus
27
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:22 am

Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Here is what the drivers have earned for 2020. The differences are staggering between drivers.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ec ... n=widget-2

Image

User avatar
Big Tea
156
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Surprised at the difference between Albon and Gasly. No wonder he was talking to Renault.
We are standing on the shoulders of Giants. So don't kick.

Smokes
Smokes
4
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Won't Hamilton earn most of the money from sponsership and adverts and selling lots of cars for mercedes?

User avatar
Phil
434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Jesus, Hamilton earns more than 15 of the lower earners combined. That’s surreal.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

User avatar
NathanOlder
163
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Phil wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 pm
Jesus, Hamilton earns more than 15 of the lower earners combined. That’s surreal.
Indeed, but it works out at around $141,000 per point for Lewis.
Sebastian on the other hand works out at over $1million per point!!!


Seb, Kimi, Romain, Kevin all take over a million dollars per point, KMag being 2mill per point lol
Lando is the best value on the grid with $17,000 per point.

And Latifi is on 750k for no return :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

User avatar
nzjrs
115
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Austria

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Holy Jesus. Russell could save Mercedes an astounding 46 million dollars.

User avatar
Phil
434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Phil wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 pm
Jesus, Hamilton earns more than 15 of the lower earners combined. That’s surreal.
Indeed, but it works out at around $141,000 per point for Lewis.
Sebastian on the other hand works out at over $1million per point!!!
That’s actually a very good way to put that money into some context. And i’s assume the salary is also somewhat dependant on the number of points the driver brings in too...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle
Jolle
230
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Phil wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:01 pm
NathanOlder wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Phil wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 pm
Jesus, Hamilton earns more than 15 of the lower earners combined. That’s surreal.
Indeed, but it works out at around $141,000 per point for Lewis.
Sebastian on the other hand works out at over $1million per point!!!
That’s actually a very good way to put that money into some context. And i’s assume the salary is also somewhat dependant on the number of points the driver brings in too...
I think it's safe to say that drivers salary could be divided in two parts: driving/racing abilities and marketing value. Hamilton earns so much because he sells a lot of cars for his employer. Of course, this has to do that he's the fastest on track.

If the sport wouldn't have sponsors and just teams with no commercial links, drivers would earn a lot less.

User avatar
El Scorchio
43
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Russell is underpaid. Not for long though, I think.

For some reason it amuses me and also seems absolutely cheeky that Lance Stroll collects a salary.

To be brutally honest, Vettel is stealing a living at the moment!

User avatar
Stu
21
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:32 pm


For some reason it amuses me and also seems absolutely cheeky that Lance Stroll collects pocket money from his dad.

FTFY 😂
Common sense is not as common as stupidity, but it is better to be uninformed than to be mis-informed...

User avatar
El Scorchio
43
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Stu wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:38 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:32 pm


For some reason it amuses me and also seems absolutely cheeky that Lance Stroll collects pocket money from his dad.

FTFY 😂
Hahahaha! It's a pretty generous allowance.

Diesel
Diesel
75
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Location: ...

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Phil wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:01 pm
NathanOlder wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Phil wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 pm
Jesus, Hamilton earns more than 15 of the lower earners combined. That’s surreal.
Indeed, but it works out at around $141,000 per point for Lewis.
Sebastian on the other hand works out at over $1million per point!!!
That’s actually a very good way to put that money into some context. And i’s assume the salary is also somewhat dependant on the number of points the driver brings in too...
Yes, and it's also how the super licence fees work. Super licence fees are also charged per point scored, so the WDC will always have the most expensive super licence. Russel might seem cheap, but he's probably going to feel hard done by if he won the WDC in the Mercedes on his current salary :wink:

Also, as others have said, most of Hamilton's worth to Mercedes is outside of F1. The results create an image, and that image sells.

EDIT: Based on some historic pricing of 2,100 EUR per point for the super licence, Hamilton's would cost 728,700 EUR for 2020. George Russell wouldn't have much change left over from his salary!
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP

Ringleheim
Ringleheim
18
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 am

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

So Russell got $750K, and still should have won the last race! You would think these teams would realize it's about the car and not the driver. Pay Russell $750K and sink the rest into the car.

User avatar
Big Tea
156
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Ringleheim wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 am
So Russell got $750K, and still should have won the last race! You would think these teams would realize it's about the car and not the driver. Pay Russell $750K and sink the rest into the car.
Is that not what Williams are doing :mrgreen:
We are standing on the shoulders of Giants. So don't kick.

User avatar
El Scorchio
43
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: Driver Salaries of 2020

Post

Ringleheim wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 am
So Russell got $750K, and still should have won the last race! You would think these teams would realize it's about the car and not the driver. Pay Russell $750K and sink the rest into the car.
Apply it to all the drivers then. Flat salary but leave them free to negotiate all other things like sponsorship and image rights.

Truth is with salary it's not all about just driving skill. It's about the profile, publicity and commercial opportunities the high earners like Vettel and particularly Hamilton bring to a team.