2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

Hoffman900 wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 17:01
RedNEO wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 10:53
Andres125sx wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 09:56
Renault aka Alpine cannot abandon this year for next year success. It won't happen like that. You need to fix your existing issue else it will follow you for next year. Don't know where they are heading for.
Yeah it’s unfortunate.. this all stems back to 2019 under different leadership when we first started hearing about “focusing on 2021” which was the wrong idea.

That’s a solid year they lost right there not working on improving there simulations and correlation by proving out real updates on track. They could have done that with a new chassis which would have had the new split turbo a year ahead of time in 2020 and then they could have been working in one direction on the engine front going into 2021 with packaging and a more relevant car ect..
Exactly. The teams that will have more CFD time will spend more of that time on correlation issues and not having the talent to fix it.

Teams like Redbull and Mercedes have been fixing these issues so they’ll be able to utilize more of their CFD time constructively, not fixing issues.

I’d argue the field will be more spread out next year than the last two. Stable rules tend to bunch the field up, and change is where teams with top talent can make the biggest gains over mid / back marker teams.
Yeah I’m worried about the field spread next year. How many times have we seen Mercedes or Red Bull bring upgrades that they need to test extensively and then take them off because they don’t work yet? It’s rare isn’t it!

Alpine had to basically throw away testing and pretty much all the practice sessions of the last two races trying to figure out there correlation on some floor parts. They have no choice now because it’s all work that should’ve been happening 2019/20.. and they have some serious catching up to do.

RedNEO

draghixa wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 17:11
Alonso like fast in long run doesn't he?
He was stuck in traffic but yeah they looked good despite that.

The start compared to Merc

Hoffman900

RedNEO wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 18:15
Hoffman900 wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Yeah it’s unfortunate.. this all stems back to 2019 under different leadership when we first started hearing about “focusing on 2021” which was the wrong idea.

That’s a solid year they lost right there not working on improving there simulations and correlation by proving out real updates on track. They could have done that with a new chassis which would have had the new split turbo a year ahead of time in 2020 and then they could have been working in one direction on the engine front going into 2021 with packaging and a more relevant car ect..
Exactly. The teams that will have more CFD time will spend more of that time on correlation issues and not having the talent to fix it.

Teams like Redbull and Mercedes have been fixing these issues so they’ll be able to utilize more of their CFD time constructively, not fixing issues.

I’d argue the field will be more spread out next year than the last two. Stable rules tend to bunch the field up, and change is where teams with top talent can make the biggest gains over mid / back marker teams.
Yeah I’m worried about the field spread next year. How many times have we seen Mercedes or Red Bull bring upgrades that they need to test extensively and then take them off because they don’t work yet? It’s rare isn’t it!

Alpine had to basically throw away testing and pretty much all the practice sessions of the last two races trying to figure out there correlation on some floor parts. They have no choice now because it’s all work that should’ve been happening 2019/20.. and they have some serious catching up to do.
Exactly. The CFD limits make sense (to shrink the gap) if all the teams could use same the % of their time constructively. It doesn't fix it if teams with the most CFD time are chasing correlation issues which causes them to miss the mark from the get-go. Then what, just hang out and wait for the rules to change again before trying, again? #-o

My experience in racing is the same people who win, win regardless of rule changes. They just know how to do it (as long as they keep the talent on board). We could go from racing F1 cars to lawnmowers, and the same people would still be winning.

RedNEO

On the plus side Davide Brivio is such a breathe of fresh air. Knowing someone with his type of motivating energy is in the team makes me happy.

radosav

NAPI10

radosav wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:01
https://youtu.be/vn4GnI4qcAM
I wish,he qualifies 'Top 5' tomorrow [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

radosav

NAPI10 wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:39
radosav wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:01
https://youtu.be/vn4GnI4qcAM
I wish,he qualifies 'Top 5' tomorrow [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
me too

diffuser

Hoffman900 wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 09:56
Renault aka Alpine cannot abandon this year for next year success. It won't happen like that. You need to fix your existing issue else it will follow you for next year. Don't know where they are heading for.

Normally that is true, The "have" invest more time and money to get ahead. The "have nots" play catch up. We'll see what effect the CAP has. The GAP should be smaller as the top 3 shouldn't be able to out spend the bottom 7 by 100%+. Maybe only between 0-30%.

I think the midfield will be right there with the top 3. The weakest of the bottom maybe 20-30% behind. That's a difference of being out spent by Ferrari by $200 Million(past) to $20M(2021 for 2022 race year)

max_speed

looks like Alonso is finished 😞. i had very high hopes from him and looking at ocon performance i guess my expectations were valid. older alonso would have qualified 5th.

radosav

max_speed wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:09
looks like Alonso is finished 😞. i had very high hopes from him and looking at ocon performance i guess my expectations were valid. older alonso would have qualified 5th.
but he is older 🤷

diffuser

max_speed wrote:

What makes you think he's finished ?

Very varied qualifying, a gust a wind at a different time made a big difference in time. Luck had alot to do with times.

You think Ricardo's finished too ? Keep in mind that Alonso out qualified him.... It's gonna take time.

radosav

diffuser wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:31
max_speed wrote:

Very varied qualifying, a gust a wind at a different time made a big difference in time. Luck had alot to do with times.

You think Ricardo's finished too ?
plus it took up to two preparation laps to heat up tyres, anything can happen, one mistake and you are out big time

diffuser

radosav wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:37
diffuser wrote:
01 May 2021, 17:31
max_speed wrote:

You think Ricardo's finished too ?
plus it took up to two preparation laps to heat up tyres, anything can happen, one mistake and you are out big time

Ocon didn't win his 2nd quali against Ric until the last race last year.

It took about 10 races for Ocon to start getting close to Ric.

radosav

radosav