2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

You say every team would do it, well they are not currently doing it, so the reason then I ask is, why are RedBull doing it ? Spening more money on 1 car maybe ?

I think Mercedes bring their updates in pairs, so both drivers have it. I guess if a team really wanted to back 1 driver they would only produce 1 of every upgrade, then spend a little more on the development and make the 1 car faster, when the car gets upgrades to upgraded parts, they then drop on to the number 2 car.

Mercedes certainly havent done this.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 13:31
You say every team would do it, well they are not currently doing it, so the reason then I ask is, why are RedBull doing it ? Spening more money on 1 car maybe ?

I think Mercedes bring their updates in pairs, so both drivers have it. I guess if a team really wanted to back 1 driver they would only produce 1 of every upgrade, then spend a little more on the development and make the 1 car faster, when the car gets upgrades to upgraded parts, they then drop on to the number 2 car.

If it gave the team any kind of edge, I would fully expect a team like Mercedes to jump on it and take the gains. They are working to extract any kind of performance gains they can get, so if it was beneficial to follow that approach, they'd do it.

IMO Mercedes' approach would be the preferred one as you want both of your cars to be as competitive as possible.

So I would think that RBR's approach this year might more likely be down to them not being able to produce the needed quantity of parts, rather than a strategic move. Especially in a year with relatively few updates planned, the "upgrades to upgraded parts" approach seems unpractical.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 14:40
NathanOlder wrote:

If it gave the team any kind of edge, I would fully expect a team like Mercedes to jump on it and take the gains. They are working to extract any kind of performance gains they can get, so if it was beneficial to follow that approach, they'd do it.

IMO Mercedes' approach would be the preferred one as you want both of your cars to be as competitive as possible.

So I would think that RBR's approach this year might more likely be down to them not being able to produce the needed quantity of parts, rather than a strategic move. Especially in a year with relatively few updates planned, the "upgrades to upgraded parts" approach seems unpractical.
Mercedes do it their way because it's team result first, driver result second. Red Bull appears to take the opposite approach and put driver result first, hence why they have no compunction with favouring one driver with upgrades before the other driver.

Given one or other title, I get the feeling that Red Bull would be happy to win the driver title and lose the constructor title, Mercedes would be happy the other way.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SiLo

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... h-gp-crash

I'm genuinely amazed they are continuing with this.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

NathanOlder wrote:

RedBull sacrificed 6 points in Silverstone for Perez just to take a single fastest lap point from Lewis! Imagine!! Six WCC traded for one! That is enough to tell me where RedBull's interests lie. Not in the WCC but the WDC. I can't imagine Mercedes doing such thing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:06
NathanOlder wrote:

RedBull sacrificed 6 points in Silverstone for Perez just to take a single fastest lap point from Lewis! Imagine!! Six WCC traded for one! That is enough to tell me where RedBull's interests lie. Not in the WCC but the WDC. I can't imagine Mercedes doing such thing.
Exactly. and if they had, there would have been a HUGE fuss/outcry about it.
As I said. One rule for one....

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

SiLo wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 15:55

I'm not. Given the strong resentment that RB has shown after the crash it is definitely not surprising to me.

But I'm just wondering, obviously there could be one of several outcomes of a review, could a potential outcome be that LH was actually wrongly penalised (i.e. he was too heavily penalised) following a review? Or are the only possible outcomes either the original decision was correct or he needed to be penalised more?

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:

It's pathetic. And if this was the other way round and Mercedes were doing it, I'd still say it's pathetic.

the EDGE
the EDGE

SuperCNJ wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:11
SiLo wrote:

I'm not. Given the strong resentment that RB has shown after the crash it is definitely not surprising to me.

But I'm just wondering, obviously there could be one of several outcomes of a review, could a potential outcome be that LH was actually wrongly penalised (i.e. he was too heavily penalised) following a review? Or are the only possible outcomes either the original decision was correct or he needed to be penalised more?
All options remain on the table

SiLo

Red Bull are most definitely using the outcome as part of their argument surely? If Max had spun off and regained control and rejoined in 10th place, Lewis would need to pit to replace the cracked rim (or retire if he crashed from it).

In both instances, what happened up to and during the point of contact is the same.

I agree with El Scorchio, it's kind of pathetic from them.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

The cracked rim would have been changed at the safety car more likley. Mediums would be instantly swapped for hards that the main rival is out they wouldn't worry about track position any more.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:22
The cracked rim would have been changed at the safety car more likley. Mediums would be instantly swapped for hards that the main rival is out they wouldn't worry about track position any more.
In my theoretical scenario there wouldnt have been a safety car.
Felipe Baby!

aral
aral

For those who have not noticed, this is a thread about the AMG Mercedes team, so please stay on topic. There is an RBR team thread for discussion about Verstappen, Horner, Marko, and other Red Bull matters.

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:22
In my theoretical scenario there wouldnt have been a safety car.
How do you mean? Yout scenario is assuming that Max stays out of the barrier?

It seems the tyre deflation wasnt sudden. Mercedes never said how they detected it, but it seems it was either a slow leak or a visible crack that was still holding. If the former, they would have a forced pitstop. If the latter it could be a sudden blow out of the rear, a slide of the track and a slow limp back to the pits. Anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute depending.. Doesn't have to be a DNF imo.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏