2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

SuperCNJ wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:11
SiLo wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 15:55
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... h-gp-crash

I'm genuinely amazed they are continuing with this.
I'm not. Given the strong resentment that RB has shown after the crash it is definitely not surprising to me.

But I'm just wondering, obviously there could be one of several outcomes of a review, could a potential outcome be that LH was actually wrongly penalised (i.e. he was too heavily penalised) following a review? Or are the only possible outcomes either the original decision was correct or he needed to be penalised more?
Unless the new and significant evidence proposed by Red Bull is earth shattering, it's unlikely anything will change. Changing a penalty after the result has been classified will not be done lightly, they would not want to set a precedent that penalties could be so easily be overturned.

I suspect the "new" evidence will be Verstappen's statement, which is unlikely to have any impact on the penalty i.e. it's expected he will blame the other party, just as Hamilton will blame Verstappen. The stewards don't care who the driver thought was at fault, they want to hear mitigation.

PlatinumZealot

Verstappen has A LOT of questions from the Stewards left to be answered. Actually it may be best for him not to enter the interrogation room at all. Self-implication is often unexpected. Imagine him getting a 3 spot penalty in Hungary!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 01:15
Verstappen has A LOT of questions from the Stewards left to be answered. Actually it may be best for him not to enter the interrogation room at all. Self-implication is often unexpected. Imagine him getting a 3 spot penalty in Hungary!
Yeah, I guess so, but isn’t his team the one pushing for the meeting? I really doubt they could go all out pushing for this for their driver to go in and expose himself of any wrong doing. Tbh, I hope Merc fights this hard, it would be a shame for Ham to get more penalties (points, time, or grid drops). 10s was fine, a bit harsh, but done because he was able to continue. They shouldn’t penalize him for how good he is. If it was Bottas maybe he wouldn’t have won the race, who knows. Hamilton is great and has a decent car; therefore, he was able to pull it off. Both Merc and rb had huge crashes this year, let them be…

dans79

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 02:59
Yeah, I guess so, but isn’t his team the one pushing for the meeting? I really doubt they could go all out pushing for this for their driver to go in and expose himself of any wrong doing.
it doesn't look like he has a choice!
https://www.racefans.net/2021/07/27/off ... collision/
The team submitted a petition for a review on Friday. The two drivers and representatives of their teams have been summoned to appear before the stewards via a video link at 4pm Central European Summer Time on Thursday, ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.
197 104 103 7

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

dans79 wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 03:09
rickybobbyf1 wrote:
Yeah, I guess so, but isn’t his team the one pushing for the meeting? I really doubt they could go all out pushing for this for their driver to go in and expose himself of any wrong doing.
The team submitted a petition for a review on Friday. The two drivers and representatives of their teams have been summoned to appear before the stewards via a video link at 4pm Central European Summer Time on Thursday, ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.
Then I really hope Ham does not admit to more fault. He has raised the hand before and gotten burned for it, I can’t remember the race. Let’s hope for the best!

Edit: more fault that what the stewards deemed he was “guilty” for. It was a racing incident after all

ringo

Mercedes will probably bring evidence to remove Hamilton's penalty points. So it may backfire in horner's face.
Lewis was following to rules of engagement for overtaking. He really did nothing wrong.
Mercedes can also point to Max's steering inputs and him looking in his mirror as evidence he knew exactly where Lewis was and still decided to cut across. So Lewis can come out leaving in better shape.

It's tough they lost 1.8 million in damages, but that's the name of the game. They can deduct it from Max's salary.
For Sure!!

Phil

I would love if if Verstappen walks away after this hearing with some penalty points of his own and a grid penalty. Would teach the teams & specifically RedBull some lessons with their own medicine.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ringo wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 07:55
Mercedes will probably bring evidence to remove Hamilton's penalty points.
Phil wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 13:17
I would love if if Verstappen walks away after this hearing with some penalty points of his own and a grid penalty. Would teach the teams & specifically RedBull some lessons with their own medicine.
It's highly unlikely that would happen, again they could have applied a penalty at the time, there would need to be significant new information for the stewards to come to that decision.

Also, that's not what will happen after tomorrow's hearing. Tomorrow is just about seeing if there is a justifiable reason to re-open the investigation, there won't be any changes to the penalty after tomorrow, just an update on if they are even going to take a further look at it. One outcome could be they choose to re-open the case with the new evidence, and then after taking the new evidence in to account, they could come to the same outcome.

Big Tea

Phil wrote:
I would feel quite sorry for him. Its not he that has been performing. Some slap for the management maybe, like costs?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

I just don't see the grounds for them re-examining this. It's clear there was no intention on the part of either driver to put the other out of the race. The only thing I can think is that they are going to try and sell a narrative that Hamilton deliberately punted Verstappen off the road, which he clearly didn't. The contact IS Verstappen's rear wheel catching up with Hamilton's front wheel. Were it Hamilton's wheel catching up with Verstappen's then maybe they might be able to spin more of a case.

I'm sure Mercedes will bring up the first lap of the sprint race, and also the Stroll incident and RBR's attitude toward that incident.

PlatinumZealot

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 03:12
dans79 wrote:
rickybobbyf1 wrote:
Then I really hope Ham does not admit to more fault. He has raised the hand before and gotten burned for it, I can’t remember the race. Let’s hope for the best!

Edit: more fault that what the stewards deemed he was “guilty” for. It was a racing incident after all
It is Verstappen who lies in more danger. The "new evidence" I reckon, is the missing account from Verstappen. It's definitely worth a review with Max's side of the story. LH has already given his pretty much, and has a lot of time to "think on the same script."
Horner is a smart man so he will have instructed Max what to tell the Stewards. But lies can back-fire. We will see.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 14:49
rickybobbyf1 wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 03:12
dans79 wrote:

It is Verstappen who lies in more danger. The "new evidence" I reckon, is the missing account from Verstappen. It's definitely worth a review with Max's side of the story. LH has already given his pretty much, and has a lot of time to "think on the same script."
Horner is a smart man so he will have instructed Max what to tell the Stewards. But lies can back-fire. We will see.
If they are smart, Mercedes will counter anything from Verstappen with the Stroll incident and quote verbatim from Verstappen and Horner's comments following it which indicate Verstappen was righteous in his actions there. That would seem like something of a checkmate.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 14:04
Phil wrote:
I would feel quite sorry for him. Its not he that has been performing. Some slap for the management maybe, like costs?
Max isn't interested in the appeal. He just wants to get back on track and drive. The appeal is all Marko/Horner hoping to get a retroactive DSQ or race ban.

Sadly, I think the team has talked itself in to a hole and now has to go through the process because they can't back out.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 23:45
SiLo wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 16:22
The cracked rim would have been changed at the safety car more likley. Mediums would be instantly swapped for hards that the main rival is out they wouldn't worry about track position any more.
In my theoretical scenario there wouldnt have been a safety car.
How do you mean? Yout scenario is assuming that Max stays out of the barrier?

It seems the tyre deflation wasnt sudden. Mercedes never said how they detected it, but it seems it was either a slow leak or a visible crack that was still holding. If the former, they would have a forced pitstop. If the latter it could be a sudden blow out of the rear, a slide of the track and a slow limp back to the pits. Anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute depending.. Doesn't have to be a DNF imo.
Yes I assumed Max didn't crash so there would be no stoppage.
Felipe Baby!

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

I don't see on what grounds they can push for a harsher penalty. FIA have declared Hamilton predominantly at fault and punished him accordingly. Realistically there is no way they can spin it to make him wholly at fault.

Other than that, 51g, millions in damages and inappropriate celebration do not constitute a basis for harsher penalties.