2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
atanatizante

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

There are rumours that the RB team will protest at Qatar against the Merc`s W12 main plain rear wing for bending downwards at the middle/centre of the wing, in the area where FIA don`t apply the load test. This bending it is occurring when the car`s speed is over 260kph ...

Here`s one footage ( just a poor one, unfortunately) and I just see only the endplates moving inwards at the car`s higher speed thus we can assume that the main plain rear wing is bending:

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

_cerber1

Toto said that they are not afraid of protest, because the wing fully complies with the regulations.

El Scorchio

atanatizante wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 12:23
There are rumours that the RB team will protest at Qatar against the Merc`s W12 main plain rear wing for bending downwards at the middle/centre of the wing, in the area where FIA don`t apply the load test. This bending it is occurring when the car`s speed is over 260kph ...

Here`s one footage ( just a poor one, unfortunately) and I just see only the endplates moving inwards at the car`s higher speed thus we can assume that the main plain rear wing is bending:

I have to say I can't spot any movement there. (Not saying there isn't any, just that I can't see it.)

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 12:51
atanatizante wrote:

I have to say I can't spot any movement there. (Not saying there isn't any, just that I can't see it.)
I can't see anything. If that's all they've got, then they've got a whole lot of nothing.

atanatizante wrote:

Hold 2 pieces of A4 paper in front of your mouth and blow, the two pieces will move towards each other. Completely natural phenomena for the end plates to want to come together here. RB are just fishing.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Viper2789
Viper2789

Throw enough **** at a wall and hope some sticks judging by the number of theories around

e30ernest
e30ernest

El Scorchio wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

I think I "see" it, but I am not sure. Look at the tips of the endplates and look at them in relation to the bottom of the DRS flap? Because that's the only movement I can see (they tilt towards the center of the car). That said, I don't know what advantage there is to gain for such movement.

RZS10

There is the usual tilt that we've seen on the wings a long time ago, the endplates moving inward was always part of that.
Is there any current rear facing camera footage that starts from low speed with opened DRS? Because in order to see anything the speed would have to be below 260kph, probably a lot lower, and of course the DRS has to be opened, otherwise the edge is covered. The speed in that particular video is already at 280-290kph when it starts.

El Scorchio

e30ernest wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 13:44
El Scorchio wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

I think I "see" it, but I am not sure. Look at the tips of the endplates and look at them in relation to the bottom of the DRS flap? Because that's the only movement I can see (they tilt towards the center of the car). That said, I don't know what advantage there is to gain for such movement.
Ah yes. I think I can see a very slight movement but it's very hard to say. The background changing makes it night on impossible! As you say, and I'm no aerodynamicist, I can't see what you'd gain out of it as well.

It was interesting to see the gif of all the wobble on the RB rear wing off the start. However, is that something that also happens to the Merc and other cars too?

e30ernest
e30ernest

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 14:04
e30ernest wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 13:44
El Scorchio wrote:

Ah yes. I think I can see a very slight movement but it's very hard to say. The background changing makes it night on impossible! As you say, and I'm no aerodynamicist, I can't see what you'd gain out of it as well.

It was interesting to see the gif of all the wobble on the RB rear wing off the start. However, is that something that also happens to the Merc and other cars too?
With the high sidewalls I am assuming there is a fair amount of tire deformation due to the torque at the start, or even a bit of tire hop while the tire slips/grips on take-off. I'm guessing there is some resonance with the wing and the tire which would be natural IMO. Probably nothing more than that.

RZS10

Remember the AT in Hungary when it crashed? The wobbling most likely is nothing out of the ordinary.

El Scorchio

That's what I thought as well. I just haven't seen similar footage from other cars so I sort of assume they all behave similarly.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

After the race Horner did an interview with Sky Sports F1 and seemed to suggest that they feel they now know more about the Mercedes rear wing 'trick' once Max fedback what he felt.
Sky Sports F1 Post Race Interview wrote: Christian Horner
We won't be protesting at this race.
It's important to understand where the speed has come from. Obviously they had a new engine here and they're running Monaco levels of downforce and when he past Max he was close to 30kph quicker on that lap.
It's something we need to understand and it's up to the FIA to police the sport and to govern it so we trust in them and their investigation.

Paul DiResta
Max was quite clear on what bit of the rear wing he was going to touch. He touched it, he got the fine. Did he feel something?

Christian Horner
Well he felt about 50 grand...look, it would be inappropriate for me to comment but there's quite a significant difference.
If they do protest aren't they required to outline their suspicions. They can't just say, look at their wing.
So if they reveal their suspicions would they need to evidence the source of their information? If it is that the information was obtained by Max's touchy-feelyness of the wing, then given how that action was deemed against the rules and a fine given, would it be a reach for Mercedes to accuse Red Bull of espionage?

My interpretation was...
PDR: Did he feel something?
CH: [he felt] a significant difference.

I don't want it sound dramatic but was just a thought I had given the verbal rocks Toto & Horner throw at each others' camp.

El Scorchio

KeiKo403 wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 14:22
After the race Horner did an interview with Sky Sports F1 and seemed to suggest that they feel they now know more about the Mercedes rear wing 'trick' once Max fedback what he felt.
Sky Sports F1 Post Race Interview wrote: Christian Horner
We won't be protesting at this race.
It's important to understand where the speed has come from. Obviously they had a new engine here and they're running Monaco levels of downforce and when he past Max he was close to 30kph quicker on that lap.
It's something we need to understand and it's up to the FIA to police the sport and to govern it so we trust in them and their investigation.

Paul DiResta
Max was quite clear on what bit of the rear wing he was going to touch. He touched it, he got the fine. Did he feel something?

Christian Horner
Well he felt about 50 grand...look, it would be inappropriate for me to comment but there's quite a significant difference.
If they do protest aren't they required to outline their suspicions. They can't just say, look at their wing.
So if they reveal their suspicions would they need to evidence the source of their information? If it is that the information was obtained by Max's touchy-feelyness of the wing, then given how that action was deemed against the rules and a fine given, would it be a reach for Mercedes to accuse Red Bull of espionage?

My interpretation was...
PDR: Did he feel something?
CH: [he felt] a significant difference.

I don't want it sound dramatic but was just a thought I had given the verbal rocks Toto & Horner throw at each others' camp.
If they've learned a lot from touching the Mercedes car, then for the price of 50,000 Euros, if I'm Mercedes then I'm giving Bottas and Hamilton a checklist of things to touch on the Red Bull car after a session in the next race. Well worth it IMO.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Yeah it's a bit funny. If you can "feel" it by touch, then I wonder why scrutineers who have their hands all over the cars and wings didn't feel anything different.