2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
Marti_EF3
327
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 11:45 pm
Location: Spain

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

etusch wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 pm
1 MERCEDES 60
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 53
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 41
4 FERRARI 34
5 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 7
6 ALPHATAURI HONDA 6
7 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 2
8 ALPINE RENAULT 1
9 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0
They have a car to compete against Mclaren and Ferrari. But 40 points behind seems too much, and only 2 races. They will be lucky if they finish 5th , but 3rd and 4th are imposible, more with this useless strategies

GhostF1
GhostF1
233
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

Marti_EF3 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 pm
etusch wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 pm
1 MERCEDES 60
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 53
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 41
4 FERRARI 34
5 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 7
6 ALPHATAURI HONDA 6
7 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 2
8 ALPINE RENAULT 1
9 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0
They have a car to compete against Mclaren and Ferrari. But 40 points behind seems too much, and only 2 races. They will be lucky if they finish 5th , but 3rd and 4th are imposible, more with this useless strategies
Ferrari look fast again, but unstable and I think it will be race to race. AT need to stop making stupid strategy calls. It hurt them last year and it's totally ruined them again this year. Gasly on the right strategy, not this nonsense one, probably could of podium'd. They were fast full stop here. I don't understand risking 5th place starting position. It makes no sense. And they've ruined yet again an opportunity at a track they know they are fast. Bahrain and Imola are two of their best and they've ruined both of them.

If they grow up a bit and just race, they potentially could steal 4th this year. But they've really hurt themselves right now. Also constructors standings as of now because of Stroll's penalty:

POS TEAM PTS
1 MERCEDES 60
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 53
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 41
4 FERRARI 34
5 ALPHATAURI HONDA 8
6 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 5
7 ALPINE RENAULT 3
8 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 0
9 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0

User avatar
_cerber1
232
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: From Russia with love

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

GhostF1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:00 am
Ferrari look fast again, but unstable and I think it will be race to race. AT need to stop making stupid strategy calls. It hurt them last year and it's totally ruined them again this year. Gasly on the right strategy, not this nonsense one, probably could of podium'd. They were fast full stop here. I don't understand risking 5th place starting position. It makes no sense. And they've ruined yet again an opportunity at a track they know they are fast. Bahrain and Imola are two of their best and they've ruined both of them.

If they grow up a bit and just race, they potentially could steal 4th this year. But they've really hurt themselves right now. Also constructors standings as of now because of Stroll's penalty:
AT weren't fast here, at least not against Ferrari and McLaren.
Image Image

GhostF1
GhostF1
233
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

_cerber1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:55 am
GhostF1 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:00 am
Ferrari look fast again, but unstable and I think it will be race to race. AT need to stop making stupid strategy calls. It hurt them last year and it's totally ruined them again this year. Gasly on the right strategy, not this nonsense one, probably could of podium'd. They were fast full stop here. I don't understand risking 5th place starting position. It makes no sense. And they've ruined yet again an opportunity at a track they know they are fast. Bahrain and Imola are two of their best and they've ruined both of them.

If they grow up a bit and just race, they potentially could steal 4th this year. But they've really hurt themselves right now. Also constructors standings as of now because of Stroll's penalty:
AT weren't fast here, at least not against Ferrari and McLaren.
https://ibb.co/jy49cGc https://ibb.co/8KzLSb8
Ignoring the first stint where they put him on full wets (for whatever reason), sure slower than Norris and Leclerc (who both arguably had one of their best performances) Gasly was a Top 6 car, not to mention those two were in clean air out in front and gasly was making his way through the field. So yes, I would class them as fast here.

Timesheets with no context mean fairly little.

restless
restless
25
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 8:12 am

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

AT has no way of fighting with MC and Ferrari. these both have 2 good and experienced drivers.
AT has Gasly who may become such and Tsunoda, who may become good, but is not experienced.
If Aston and Alpine improve their cars enough, the task for AT will be almost impossible

User avatar
HPD
397
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

@etush said it very well. AT is competing to win with very aggressive strategies. AT needs to calm down and fight for their true positions

User avatar
Zynerji
130
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

HPD wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm
@etush said it very well. AT is competing to win with very aggressive strategies. AT needs to calm down and fight for their true positions
No way!

What I love about AT is that the expectations are low, so they can go for glory every weekend, and it doesn't matter if they fail.

A single race where both AT are in front of a single MERC will help RBR more than anything for the WCC.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
336
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

GhostF1 wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 pm
etusch wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:33 pm
1 MERCEDES 60
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 53
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 41
4 FERRARI 34
5 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 7
6 ALPHATAURI HONDA 6
7 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 2
8 ALPINE RENAULT 1
9 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0
They have a car to compete against Mclaren and Ferrari. But 40 points behind seems too much, and only 2 races. They will be lucky if they finish 5th , but 3rd and 4th are imposible, more with this useless strategies
Ferrari look fast again, but unstable and I think it will be race to race. AT need to stop making stupid strategy calls. It hurt them last year and it's totally ruined them again this year. Gasly on the right strategy, not this nonsense one, probably could of podium'd. They were fast full stop here. I don't understand risking 5th place starting position. It makes no sense. And they've ruined yet again an opportunity at a track they know they are fast. Bahrain and Imola are two of their best and they've ruined both of them.

If they grow up a bit and just race, they potentially could steal 4th this year. But they've really hurt themselves right now. Also constructors standings as of now because of Stroll's penalty:

POS TEAM PTS
1 MERCEDES 60
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 53
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 41
4 FERRARI 34
5 ALPHATAURI HONDA 8
6 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 5
7 ALPINE RENAULT 3
8 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 0
9 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0
4th would be quiet the achievement, but not based on pace at least... I don’t think that AT is faster than either Ferrari or Mclaren and those teams will finish P3-P4.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Zynerji
130
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:18 pm
GhostF1 wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 pm


They have a car to compete against Mclaren and Ferrari. But 40 points behind seems too much, and only 2 races. They will be lucky if they finish 5th , but 3rd and 4th are imposible, more with this useless strategies
Ferrari look fast again, but unstable and I think it will be race to race. AT need to stop making stupid strategy calls. It hurt them last year and it's totally ruined them again this year. Gasly on the right strategy, not this nonsense one, probably could of podium'd. They were fast full stop here. I don't understand risking 5th place starting position. It makes no sense. And they've ruined yet again an opportunity at a track they know they are fast. Bahrain and Imola are two of their best and they've ruined both of them.

If they grow up a bit and just race, they potentially could steal 4th this year. But they've really hurt themselves right now. Also constructors standings as of now because of Stroll's penalty:

POS TEAM PTS
1 MERCEDES 60
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 53
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 41
4 FERRARI 34
5 ALPHATAURI HONDA 8
6 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 5
7 ALPINE RENAULT 3
8 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 0
9 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0
4th would be quiet the achievement, but not based on pace at least... I don’t think that AT is faster than either Ferrari or Mclaren and those teams will finish P3-P4.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I feel a LOT of this will come down to late season penalties and reliability issues. If a team takes a 4th engine, and eats the penalty at a race where they are already way-down after qualifying by starting from the pit-lane, they may have a BIG advantage in the last 2-3 races of the season.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
336
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

Zynerji wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:18 pm
GhostF1 wrote: Ferrari look fast again, but unstable and I think it will be race to race. AT need to stop making stupid strategy calls. It hurt them last year and it's totally ruined them again this year. Gasly on the right strategy, not this nonsense one, probably could of podium'd. They were fast full stop here. I don't understand risking 5th place starting position. It makes no sense. And they've ruined yet again an opportunity at a track they know they are fast. Bahrain and Imola are two of their best and they've ruined both of them.

If they grow up a bit and just race, they potentially could steal 4th this year. But they've really hurt themselves right now. Also constructors standings as of now because of Stroll's penalty:

POS TEAM PTS
1 MERCEDES 60
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 53
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 41
4 FERRARI 34
5 ALPHATAURI HONDA 8
6 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 5
7 ALPINE RENAULT 3
8 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 0
9 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
10 HAAS FERRARI 0
4th would be quiet the achievement, but not based on pace at least... I don’t think that AT is faster than either Ferrari or Mclaren and those teams will finish P3-P4.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I feel a LOT of this will come down to late season penalties and reliability issues. If a team takes a 4th engine, and eats the penalty at a race where they are already way-down after qualifying by starting from the pit-lane, they may have a BIG advantage in the last 2-3 races of the season.
They first need to be close in the fight for that to matter... As it stands there is already a huge amount of points between Ferrari / Mclaren and Alpha Tauri.

That sort of strategy could of course work, but unless AT starts to take chunks of points away from the other two, but the end of the season it probably won’t matter.

It is only the 2nd race of the season though, so a lot can happen between this point and the time when we are 3-4 races from the end... The AT is a fast car, there is no denying that, but even if they are matched from a car pace perspective to Mclaren and Ferrari (which doesn’t seem to the the case so far, they are slightly behind), the reality also is that their driver pairing is not at the level of the other 2 either... So, even when from a pace perspective they could be there or thereabouts, the Lando-Daniel and Charles-Carlos pairing is an stronger one and should incline the balance in their favor.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
ispano6
320
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

For the most part AT have come away unfortunately with bad execution and strategy. The cars are good, the drivers are good, though Tsunoda definitely needs more experience and be less eager. He's talking too early about beating his teammate, and that mentality is not needed at this point of his career as he is far less experienced than Gasly. They need to work together to bring home the points, which they are capable of, if conditions and circumstances don't get the better of them. Both Gasly and Tsunoda would have faired better in dry conditons, and the wet running is what really threw them off course.

User avatar
bigblue
41
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

Daft strategy, trying something unusual so that you just might luck-in and score big is the mentality of a team that doesn't have a genuinely fast car. But they have (at the first two races at least), a fast car. Behave as a upper-midfield team and race on that level and strategy, and accumulate the points. It's almost as though they don't believe in themselves. Come on Alpha Tauri, you really are in pretty good shape now !

User avatar
Zynerji
130
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

bigblue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 pm
Daft strategy, trying something unusual so that you just might luck-in and score big is the mentality of a team that doesn't have a genuinely fast car. But they have (at the first two races at least), a fast car. Behave as a upper-midfield team and race on that level and strategy, and accumulate the points. It's almost as though they don't believe in themselves. Come on Alpha Tauri, you really are in pretty good shape now !
Their WCC points don't mean anything, unless they come at Mercedes' expense so RBR wins.

They have a better chance of "lucking into a podium" with a fast car, and higher probability gambles.

Just making it work 1-2 times would swing the WCC.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
336
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

Zynerji wrote:
bigblue wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 pm
Daft strategy, trying something unusual so that you just might luck-in and score big is the mentality of a team that doesn't have a genuinely fast car. But they have (at the first two races at least), a fast car. Behave as a upper-midfield team and race on that level and strategy, and accumulate the points. It's almost as though they don't believe in themselves. Come on Alpha Tauri, you really are in pretty good shape now !
Their WCC points don't mean anything, unless they come at Mercedes' expense so RBR wins.

They have a better chance of "lucking into a podium" with a fast car, and higher probability gambles.

Just making it work 1-2 times would swing the WCC.
Don’t mean anything???... Just a few million dollars in prize money only?

With as close as the Midfield is, every opportunity to get points count... More importantly when they can take advantage of the likes of Aston Martin and Alpine underperforming at the beginning of the season.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Zynerji
130
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: 2021 Alpha Tauri F1 Team

Post

AT doesn't fund on prize money...🙄

They are a proving ground for the RBR team, and they only exist to improve the chances of RBR winning the WCC (mostly through people developing experience). If they can also take occasional points off the only challenger to that team, that is worth WAY MORE to Red Bull than if AT finishes 4th in the championship.