2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Am I not correct in thinking it is physical damage they will be looking for? crack testing around mounts and points where items are mounted on the engine its self?

If this is right, then I assume external metal can be welded and reformed, so are we only thinking of where the mains are mounted? If this is so, would they be allowed to weld here under observation of a FIA official?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM
PhillipM

No, you wouldn't want to anyway, you'd soften the temper of the block and have to remachine it all anyway where it warped. Much less risk to just put a new block in.

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:18
Am I not correct in thinking it is physical damage they will be looking for? crack testing around mounts and points where items are mounted on the engine its self?

If this is right, then I assume external metal can be welded and reformed, so are we only thinking of where the mains are mounted? If this is so, would they be allowed to weld here under observation of a FIA official?
I assume so, because it is in the spirit of the rules and basically costeffective not to take a new engine of have the opportunity to replace parts.

The outside, like mounting points are easy to address and tested. What they are probably worried about are bearings and mountings of the crankshaft itself or even a twist of the crankshaft for instance. Mountings to the chassis could even be repaired with carbon fiber or something like that. But with the high minimum weight of the ICE, the crank case and mountings are probably intact.

PlatinumZealot

If they take a new Engine they can do it at Monza where the next Sprint race will be held. Should be easy passing for Max.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1jcw
f1jcw

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:41
If they take a new Engine they can do it at Monza where the next Sprint race will be held. Should be easy passing for Max.
But with the latest update didn’t merc regain higher top speed?

Jolle
Jolle

f1jcw wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The top speed comes from less drag (running less wing, better sealing floor), not more power.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Jolle wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 00:09
f1jcw wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The top speed comes from less drag (running less wing, better sealing floor), not more power.
It was a aero update at silverstone that reduced the need for wasteful downforce, this again fits in with being better at Monza

Jolle
Jolle

f1jcw wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 00:19
Jolle wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

It was a aero update at silverstone that reduced the need for wasteful downforce, this again fits in with being better at Monza
that as what I was saying....

f1jcw
f1jcw

Jolle wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 00:31
f1jcw wrote:
Jolle wrote:

And what I originally also said

Jolle
Jolle

f1jcw wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 00:40
Jolle wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 00:31
f1jcw wrote:

And what I originally also said
sorry. I though you were talking about an engine update, my mistake

diffuser

ispano6 wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 19:24
dxpetrov wrote:
24 Jul 2021, 16:48
One of the reasons I love RB is Horner and his no BS attitude. Wouldn't change anything in there, no.
Yep exactly, I wouldn't want Horner any other way.

Horner didn't have the audacity to go directly to the stewards, and if Masi told Toto to go the stewards, then it's likely that the stewards told Masi Toto shouldn't have been there.
It's not an "IF", It is a fact. Around the same time as Horner was pinging Masi. Toto pinged Masi and said he had sent him a email with the regulation that described what Lewis did was legal(something like that). Masi's response was that it had to go to the stewards. That he should print it out and take it to the stewards.
Don't know why anyone cares about this. Drivers and some times team principles get asked to go see the Stewards all the time to give their version of things.

dans79

diffuser wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 02:35
ispano6 wrote:
dxpetrov wrote:
One of the reasons I love RB is Horner and his no BS attitude. Wouldn't change anything in there, no.

Horner didn't have the audacity to go directly to the stewards, and if Masi told Toto to go the stewards, then it's likely that the stewards told Masi Toto shouldn't have been there.
It's not an "IF", It is a fact.
Yep, the official f1 youtube channel even published a video of all of the lobbying.
197 104 103 7

ispano6

diffuser wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 02:35
ispano6 wrote:
dxpetrov wrote:

It's not an "IF", It is a fact. Around the same time as Horner was pinging Masi. Toto pinged Masi and said he had sent him a email with the regulation that described what Lewis did was legal(something like that). Masi's response was that it had to go to the stewards. That he should print it out and take it to the stewards.
Don't know why anyone cares about this. Drivers and some times team principles get asked to go see the Stewards all the time to give their version of things.
OK, SINCE Masi told Toto to go the stewards... It became clear Toto showing up at the stewards was deemed inappropriate because he was uninvited. Stewards usually summon drivers, and Toto wasn't summoned. He showed up and the stewards probably felt someone was there telling them how to do their job. So it seems Masi has had to make this point clear after the race weekend.

My point is Horner's point, duh, everyone knows Masi directed Toto to the stewards which was a mistake as well.
Speaking after the race, Horner said: "I don't think the stewards should be interfered with. I went to see the stewards because I heard Toto was up there presenting a case and you want it to be fair and balanced.

"I don't think it's right that team principals should be able to go and lobby the stewards. They should be locked away so that they're not influenced. For me, that was unacceptable that he had gone up there."
Last edited by ispano6 on 26 Jul 2021, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

Jolle wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:16
Wouter wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:09
Jolle wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:02

The control unit is another part where they are only allowed two each season.

The ICE is sealed. They can change wirelooms, plumbing, outside sensors, spark plugs etc but don’t open the block.

From the top of my head they have 3 ICE’s, 3 Turbo’s and 3 K units. I might be mistaken but 2 K and CE and eight exhausts.

All are sealed. If you break a seal and use it after, it’s counted as a new unit.
Can you explain to me why Honda disassembled the entire PU in Sakura, to see if it is still usable, if that PU counts as a new one, because the seal is broken?
Then it would be much better for them to immediately use a new, fresh, unused 3rd PU?

Yamamoto also hopes that the PU can still be used after they have completely disassembled and checked it.
That doesn't match your story.
Haven't read the news, but probably they ment to disassembled as far as they could. So bare block, probing it anyway they could. An open seal = scrap engine or for testing days.
In rare special circumstances they are allowed to break the seals with FIA permission and under supervision. Based on my experience crash damage is not normally the case though.

My guess is they will strip as far as possible as you suggest, borescope and NDT whatever is accessible and run it on the dyno for a health check.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 04:18

My point is Horner's point, duh, everyone knows Masi directed Toto to the stewards which was a mistake as well.
Speaking after the race, Horner said: "I don't think the stewards should be interfered with. I went to see the stewards because I heard Toto was up there presenting a case and you want it to be fair and balanced.

"I don't think it's right that team principals should be able to go and lobby the stewards. They should be locked away so that they're not influenced. For me, that was unacceptable that he had gone up there."
I agree with Horner here regarding the stewards. But I'd also include the race director. I don't see why the teams should be allowed to lobby the race director either. After all, the race director has the power to send "incidents" to the stewards. So the team shouldn't be able to radio him and say "that's a penalty!", etc., because that is indirect lobbying of the stewards.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.