2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
waynes
waynes

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

the pictures of Ronaldo driving are great, he looks like he's having an absolute whale of a time!

JPower
JPower

Looking pretty decent in both practice sessions. Let's hope it stays this way through Saturday.

If the SF90 handled low speed work like the SF21, 2019 could've looked a little different.

Can only hope they put it all together for...next year. Its always next year. :lol:

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
10 May 2021, 19:15

I think he already did it, but I was curious about the exact differences (Lecrerc-Sainz) so I just checked

Bahrain: over 5 tenths
Imola: almost 4 tenths
Portimao: -2 tenths (Sainz outqualified Charles)
Montmelo: 1 tenth

To be sincere this surprised me, I was assuming there was more difference and Charles was still clearly ahead of Sainz
in qualifying, but 1-2 tenths, up or down, is not any significant difference so Carlos actually is on par with Charles.

To me this is impressive, I consider Lecrerc one of the best of current grid in that regard (or any other), so Sainz challenging Lecrerc in qualifying is impressive if you ask me
Don´t get me wrong, I think he is doing a fine job but in Q3 Lecler seems to have an extra point.

Mansell89
Mansell89

It is only practice but are people playing down Ferraris chances here a little too quickly?

They do seem to have a well balanced car for a track like this.

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPower wrote:
20 May 2021, 15:51
Looking pretty decent in both practice sessions. Let's hope it stays this way through Saturday.

If the SF90 handled low speed work like the SF21, 2019 could've looked a little different.

Can only hope they put it all together for...next year. Its always next year. :lol:
It would've been dominant and the rocket engine would've been nerfed way earlier in the year :lol:

Macklaren
Macklaren

Car looks quick but the team needs to be razor sharp on reliability and execution to maximize the result for P5-6

JPower
JPower

Watched both Carlos' and Charles' fast laps. Definitely will have some left in the tank for Q3 as they both made mistakes/ran into traffic. Question is how much left vs other teams.
I think Merc/Verstappen weren't close to being at the limit.

Might be able to slip past Checo though.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Where are the people now saying Ferrari‘s suspension is inferior as they never moved to the high-front layout? Or the hot air exits being so big?

This track is PURELY chassis, and they seem to be well in the mix. I don’t necessarily dare to dream of pole/the win - but they are very competitive against those teams deemed ‘more advanced’. I think this goes to show that the Mercedes way of doing things isn’t the ONLY way of doing things. EG perhaps the high front suspension actually hinders the kinematics at the front? Anyone dare to consider that? Or because it’s Mercedes it has to be 5 years more advanced than poor old under developed Ferrari from the backwaters of maranello?

PhillipM
PhillipM

The high suspension does hinder kinematics. But it also helps the aero more. And unfortunately, F1 is entirely dominated by aero effects.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

PhillipM wrote:
21 May 2021, 01:08
The high suspension does hinder kinematics. But it also helps the aero more. And unfortunately, F1 is entirely dominated by aero effects.
Yes. My point was simply that there’s more than one way to skin a cat. People thinking one is more or less ‘advanced’ than the other actually shows their own lack of understanding.

I love the concept of laypeople on the internet criticising the work of career-engineers who work for the one of the worlds most famous and historic brands. ‘Ferrari is underdeveloped because the hot air exits are very big’. Or because the nose is broad, or because the suspension isn’t the high setup.

I mean, the arrogance to make such a claim when it’s likely these people aren’t engineers. Just watching too much Sky and listening to Ted-no-qualifications-Kravitz lmao. That was all.

JPower
JPower

I wonder if Ferrari is officially done developing this car. Don't think they've changed/tested any new parts since practice at Imola.

F1NAC

JPower wrote:
21 May 2021, 03:02
I wonder if Ferrari is officially done developing this car. Don't think they've changed/tested any new parts since practice at Imola.
Judging by the latest interview they are basically focused on 2022, first chassis should be read somewhere during summer. We can probably except few parts that were done way before.

+ Developing completely new engine concept and also developing new combustion concept because of change of fuel

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:
20 May 2021, 15:57
Andres125sx wrote:
10 May 2021, 19:15

I think he already did it, but I was curious about the exact differences (Lecrerc-Sainz) so I just checked

Bahrain: over 5 tenths
Imola: almost 4 tenths
Portimao: -2 tenths (Sainz outqualified Charles)
Montmelo: 1 tenth

To be sincere this surprised me, I was assuming there was more difference and Charles was still clearly ahead of Sainz
in qualifying, but 1-2 tenths, up or down, is not any significant difference so Carlos actually is on par with Charles.

To me this is impressive, I consider Lecrerc one of the best of current grid in that regard (or any other), so Sainz challenging Lecrerc in qualifying is impressive if you ask me
Don´t get me wrong, I think he is doing a fine job but in Q3 Lecler seems to have an extra point.

Agree, I think Lecrerc master the car so he simply doesn´t push until Q3, while Sainz pushes constantly so he looks better in Q1 and Q2 but once they´re in Q3 Charles (usually) beat him

McG

Hmmmmm
F1 is dead.

JPower
JPower

Impressive weekend so far for Ferrari.

That quali session was...interesting.

For Charles, good result but could all be for naught if the gearbox needs changing. He's always going 105% in quali but sometimes you have to question his risk/reward calcs.

For Carlos, pretty good but disappointing. Had he nailed Rascasse he could've been on pole himself. He was pretty angry after the red flag.

All in all, I think the team probably thinks things could've gone even better. Have to say though, looking like the 1st/2nd best driver lineup on the grid right now. Better hope and pray the 2022 car is top notch.