2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

mwillems wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 16:06
mclaren111 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 16:03
Damn... What a Sh*t weekend... :( :( :(
It could get worse or better.

In 3 laps time we could be all smiles or in tears.

Exciting end though.

Yip... I should have waited until the end... :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I feel that track position and qualifying is such an important thing in these cars that have to nurse tires that if you end up P9 at start, your day is immediately compromised no matter what car you drive. Yesterday with starting P9, falling to P12 can be in no way representative.

I am sure that Lando would have had a much better race if he started P6 or better - I am sure he was able to get a better lap on newer tires, I wouldn't discount possibility of pole as in previous years used tires tended to be half a second to second slower.

To be positive, team did manage to fight back and salvage the weekend.

MrGapes

panchutay wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 05:45
Is Paul Ricard better suited for MCL or FER?
Well yeah I hope so, strong there in 2019..., nice high speed corners, Ferrari have really benefitted from the slower corners, and the mechanical grip required by these street circuits. hopefully Paul Ricard will turn in McLaren's favor, though we must improve qualifying pace...

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:16
mwillems wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 16:06
mclaren111 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 16:03
Damn... What a Sh*t weekend... :( :( :(
It could get worse or better.

In 3 laps time we could be all smiles or in tears.

Exciting end though.

Yip... I should have waited until the end... :D :D
Yeah not the perfect end, but also not a bad one, if we had got past Leclerc then I think everyone would likely agree the race couldn't have gone much better.

but we weren't far behind that so all in all a good race day performance when all is said and done.

Penalty was harsh but also you could say fair so we should take it on the chin. The same carnage that helped us start to drown a little in qualifying also helped us back up in the race, not quite fully balanced, but it was balanced enough for me, I think.

Paul Ricard will be a nice flowing circuit to race on, I'm looking forward to it.
Both ourselves and Ferrari will be competitive there and the difference will once again be the drivers.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

_cerber1

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:I feel that track position and qualifying is such an important thing in these cars that have to nurse tires that if you end up P9 at start, your day is immediately compromised no matter what car you drive. Yesterday with starting P9, falling to P12 can be in no way representative.

I am sure that Lando would have had a much better race if he started P6 or better - I am sure he was able to get a better lap on newer tires, I wouldn't discount possibility of pole as in previous years used tires tended to be half a second to second slower.

To be positive, team did manage to fight back and salvage the weekend.
A big part of the challenge yesterday was that the difference in pace from the leaders wasn’t as big as it usually is... Therefore the cars behind always had a tow, which negated speed differences.

It’s very hard in S2 to close the gap to the car in front, specially if you can’t get a good exit out of Turn 12, since that compromises you to be close enough for a charge down the straight.

With a constant tow on the main straight and after turn 2 (second DRS), it was just too hard to make move stick... It was interesting that the field really never spread out enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

So the main issue for Lando is that he sped up down the straight after passing the pits.

Massi - Even a six year old knows the red flag rules

https://www.planetf1.com/news/michael-m ... -red-flag/

Mclarensenna

mwillems wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 22:05
So the main issue for Lando is that he sped up down the straight after passing the pits.

Lando made a mistake. Massi should have responded more professionally than saying even a 6 year old knows the red flag rules. Massi is supposed to be a figurehead, voice of reason and professional.

panchutay
panchutay

MrGapes wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 11:34
panchutay wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 05:45
Is Paul Ricard better suited for MCL or FER?
Well yeah I hope so, strong there in 2019..., nice high speed corners, Ferrari have really benefitted from the slower corners, and the mechanical grip required by these street circuits. hopefully Paul Ricard will turn in McLaren's favor, though we must improve qualifying pace...
Hope so!

Seems like the bendi-wing drama's gone quiet too. Hoping that stricter regulations will help takeout unfair advantage of our competitors for best of the rest.

mwillems

Mclarensenna wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 02:01
mwillems wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 22:05

Lando made a mistake. Massi should have responded more professionally than saying even a 6 year old knows the red flag rules. Massi is supposed to be a figurehead, voice of reason and professional.
I agree that he should be less blunt, that was the headline though and he didn't actually say that. His point was that the red flag rules are consistent from Karting formulas that 6 year olds start in through to F1 so that there is no misunderstanding in those circumstances. He states that the stewards didn't follow the punishment guidelines and reduced the penalty the rules said should apply. Now he is front and centre with the pitlane communications being broadcast, he's quoted more and it's one of those things. I guess he was taken aback that Lando is complaining, personally I am surprised too. They have every right to say that under a red flag there is zero tolerance, but he got a 3 place grid penalty and then moaned.

“Slow right down and come to pit lane immediately. So that there’s no ambiguity from a six year old, who’s in their first karting event through to Formula 1 is consistent across all circuit racing around.

“With regards to the penalty points and and the actual penalty itself, obviously, the stewards can apply any of the penalties and any penalty points that they see appropriate in an incident.

“Yes, they do have a guideline to use.

“But, in this circumstance, they saw that it was fit to not apply what the guideline said because of the mitigating circumstances, which was a harsher penalty.

“However, with regards to the penalty points, they felt that it was appropriate being a red flag infringement.”

BMMR61

Massi had another one of his awful weekends. His outburst was that of someone not handling the pressure in a professional manner. The penalty on Lattifi was wrong, should have been on the team because they told him to “stay out”. No penalty on Mazspin who almost caused an “aircraft crash” at 200mph with his block on his teammate. Massi is pedantic and lacks feel for the sport and driver execution. At least someone did a worse job than McLaren who were ordinary on a track that they should have hooked up on.

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 14:16
Massi had another one of his awful weekends. His outburst was that of someone not handling the pressure in a professional manner. The penalty on Lattifi was wrong, should have been on the team because they told him to “stay out”. No penalty on Mazspin who almost caused an “aircraft crash” at 200mph with his block on his teammate. Massi is pedantic and lacks feel for the sport and driver execution. At least someone did a worse job than McLaren who were ordinary on a track that they should have hooked up on.
Doesn't Massi just refer to stewards to decide, he doesn't penalise I don't think? Given that he didn't come into the pits I'm not sure how he can't refer Latifi to the stewards. Is that an unfair view?

In terms of Mazepin, The FIA haven't been penalising moves like Mazepins, as far as I am aware, unless it becomes too often. Getting pushed off the track, squeezed hard and moving under breaking only gets warnings if it occurs too often I think.

Personally I'm happier with more elbows in F1, yes it's frustrating at times but I like the drama. I don't have an issue with the incidents Masi has referred too, and I was impressed with how he dealt with Mclarens complaint against Tsunoda, he was clear and concise and I think quite right.

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 14:43
BMMR61 wrote:
Doesn't Massi just refer to stewards to decide, he doesn't penalise I don't think? Given that he didn't come into the pits I'm not sure how he can't refer Latifi to the stewards. Is that an unfair view?

In terms of Mazepin, The FIA haven't been penalising moves like Mazepins, as far as I am aware, unless it becomes too often. Getting pushed off the track, squeezed hard and moving under breaking only gets warnings if it occurs too often I think.

Personally I'm happier with more elbows in F1, yes it's frustrating at times but I like the drama. I don't have an issue with the incidents Masi has referred too, and I was impressed with how he dealt with Mclarens complaint against Tsunoda, he was clear and concise and I think quite right.
That completely negates the whole point of a driver getting penalty points on their license, what Mazepin did wasn’t hard racing, that was a very dangerous manoeuvre, if that isn’t penalty points wtf is the point of this system..., and in reference to the Tsunoda thing, I also disagree if you look at the footage Tsunoda lifts for like 2 secs, then goes flat out in double yellows, whilst most (not all) but most of the other drivers actually lifted quite significantly including both the McLaren drivers, so Masi was pulling --- out of thin air with “everyone should get a penalty”...

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 15:43
mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 14:43
BMMR61 wrote:

That completely negates the whole point of a driver getting penalty points on their license, what Mazepin did wasn’t hard racing, that was a very dangerous manoeuvre, if that isn’t penalty points wtf is the point of this system..., and in reference to the Tsunoda thing, I also disagree if you look at the footage Tsunoda lifts for like 2 secs, then goes flat out in double yellows, whilst most (not all) but most of the other drivers actually lifted quite significantly including both the McLaren drivers, so Masi was pulling --- out of thin air with “everyone should get a penalty”...
I don't have the telemetry so I cannot see but from my perspective I have no reason not to believe him.

In any case, with the Lando incident, I'm with him, he was silly.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Is Paul Ricard a fast flowing circuit- how do the sectors tend to compare?

I was surprised when I looked at the track layout actually- I think the blue paint always created an illusion in my mind!

Where are our cars biggest strengths this season would you say?