2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
billamend
billamend
17
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm
A state of the art wind tunnel is not only essential for the F1 team but for McLaren's broader plans as a whole. The road cars they make are so fast that they pretty much need their own dedicated wind tunnel just for that. McLaren is still McLaren. I always saw McLaren as cutting edge precision engineering, that is essentially art. I don't see the wind tunnel as a liability if it lets them do their thing.
Don’t they have a wind tunnel? Just one that is no longer allowed to be used (full-size)?

User avatar
godlameroso
513
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

billamend wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:03 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm
A state of the art wind tunnel is not only essential for the F1 team but for McLaren's broader plans as a whole. The road cars they make are so fast that they pretty much need their own dedicated wind tunnel just for that. McLaren is still McLaren. I always saw McLaren as cutting edge precision engineering, that is essentially art. I don't see the wind tunnel as a liability if it lets them do their thing.
Don’t they have a wind tunnel? Just one that is no longer allowed to be used (full-size)?
I thought the F1 car model is what is limited to the 60% scale, the actual tunnel can be any size.
Saishū kōnā

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

They have been doing well with what they have so far.
.. ... ... ... ...

Jolle
Jolle
255
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 pm
billamend wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:03 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm
A state of the art wind tunnel is not only essential for the F1 team but for McLaren's broader plans as a whole. The road cars they make are so fast that they pretty much need their own dedicated wind tunnel just for that. McLaren is still McLaren. I always saw McLaren as cutting edge precision engineering, that is essentially art. I don't see the wind tunnel as a liability if it lets them do their thing.
Don’t they have a wind tunnel? Just one that is no longer allowed to be used (full-size)?
I thought the F1 car model is what is limited to the 60% scale, the actual tunnel can be any size.
For road car applications the one they have already is probably more then good enough. The margins there are a lot bigger (and shapes a less delicate)

PhillipM
PhillipM
424
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

It's very simple. You still need to verify your algorithms for your CFD programs. Validation of those will be vital even if you can't use the tunnel directly.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
340
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

McLaren’s race preview below… The team seems very cautious about the Hungaroring:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/hun ... w-hungary/

Macklaren
Macklaren
34
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

glad to see that. McLaren's best races this season have been the ones where expectations have been lowest

User avatar
mclaren111
260
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Shithole - South Africa

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Andrew Benson:
Some stats after 10 Grands Prix (half a season, give or take):

Qualifying average of best laps for each team per weekend

Red Bull
Mercedes +0.022secs
Ferrari +0.419

McLaren +0.438
Alpha Tauri +0.581
Alpine +0.821
Aston Martin +0.955
Williams +1.218
Alfa Romeo 1.257
Haas +2.379


Good step forward from 2020...

geogate
geogate
11
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:25 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Mclaren have been using Toyota's wind tunnel in Cologne for years - I'm not sure how that stacks up these days compared to the other teams. The problem with their own tunnel is that it is just too small for a 60% model, or anything close

User avatar
SiLo
126
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

geogate wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:40 pm
Mclaren have been using Toyota's wind tunnel in Cologne for years - I'm not sure how that stacks up these days compared to the other teams. The problem with their own tunnel is that it is just too small for a 60% model, or anything close
Surely it might be that their wind tunnel is too big? because it would be used for full sized road cars?
Felipe Baby!

the EDGE
the EDGE
136
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Bedfordshire ENGLAND

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

SiLo wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:21 pm
geogate wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:40 pm
Mclaren have been using Toyota's wind tunnel in Cologne for years - I'm not sure how that stacks up these days compared to the other teams. The problem with their own tunnel is that it is just too small for a 60% model, or anything close
Surely it might be that their wind tunnel is too big? because it would be used for full sized road cars?
No, the windtunnel was there long before McLaren automotive, and I don’t think it matters if the car is smaller than the max six it can accommodate

I think the issue is that the windtunnel he’s not actually big enough, and the technology used is just outdated

geogate
geogate
11
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:25 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

I have a feeling there is an "optimum" for the tunnel vs model size. I "think" these new tunnels have adaptable tunnel walls which are able to contour around the model as required to more accurately reflect open road wind flow.
SiLo - no mate, its too small, definite.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
340
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

SiLo wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:21 pm
geogate wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:40 pm
Mclaren have been using Toyota's wind tunnel in Cologne for years - I'm not sure how that stacks up these days compared to the other teams. The problem with their own tunnel is that it is just too small for a 60% model, or anything close
Surely it might be that their wind tunnel is too big? because it would be used for full sized road cars?
The problem with the wind tunnel is not because of the physical size of the race car, it has more to do with the how the air is displaced / moved by the aero surfaces.

When the cars changed from an inboard aero concept to an outboard aero concept (in order to manage the front tire wake), the restrictions due to the size of the tunnel were apparent… The air been pushed outwards by the front wings would not have enough room in McLaren’s tunnel and therefore they had to move to the Toyota Tunnel in Cologne, which is effectively larger (and at the time, probably more up to date in terms of technology)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
340
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Good interview to James Key in regards to the 2022 cars… McLaren’s approach, the impact of having less CFD and Windtunnel time, as well as how now they are up to par with their CFD tools to face the new regulations

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... y/6637342/

User avatar
adrianjordan
89
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 am
Location: West Yorkshire, England

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 pm
runningmanz wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm
Wow Dan said on unboxed he had hayfever from lap 12 during the race. His eyes looked watery after it. I get hayfever myself and it's a mongrel with those watery eyes. Good bloody effort to hold off Sainz in that condition.
I'm surprised he doesn't take something for hayfever. I take a one-a-day tablet during the summer because it's horrible when you get an attack of it, and I do a lot driving for work. Unless of course there's concern about something in the tablet being a banned substance.
My hay-fever has been playing up through the heat wave. I take a prescription strength antihistamine on a daily basis and have still been struggling!!
Lando Norris: "Such a great driver"
Daniel Ricciardo: "Darren" 🤣