2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Let’s be optimistic. We were 3rd last year. Albeit we didn’t had the third fastest car. Pink Mercedes were quick, because they were Pink Mercedes. This season, they had to develop their own car. They can’t copy last year’s Mercedes. Meaning, they didn’t beat us last year and they sure as hell won’t beat us this year.

Floor regulations changed, and it was the bit we lacked a lot compared to the others. As the only team, we got to make changes to our chassis, possibly enabling us with more possibilities to make up for the setback due to the regulation changes.

Then we’ve got our Mercedes engine, giving us another few valuable tenths, from which we can benefit massively on some tracks.

There is more reason here to be optimistic, rather than pessimistic. Not saying we can bring the fight to Red Bull. Not saying we can’t take it to them either. Let’s just wait and see.

Emag
Emag

McL-H wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 16:15
Let’s be optimistic. We were 3rd last year. Albeit we didn’t had the third fastest car. Pink Mercedes were quick, because they were Pink Mercedes. This season, they had to develop their own car. They can’t copy last year’s Mercedes. Meaning, they didn’t beat us last year and they sure as hell won’t beat us this year.
Actually that car looks even more like a Mercedes this year compared to last year, because now they have even copied the rear-end packaging. And somehow they managed to come up with the same solution Mercedes came up with on their W12 ...

I was already very skeptical last year, but this year is making me think there's something going on in the background with those teams.

So that last sentence of yours should definitely not be taken for granted as I expect them to stronger this year than they were last year. Of course, the possibility that McLaren has found more gains still remains, so until we start racing we can't really be sure of anything.

proteus

This year will be a step backward. Ending 5th in the standings will be an achievement. They were superb last year, but this season will be a challenging one. 2022 is the one to expect more from them.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Darth-Piekus

Out of curiosity. Did they copy a car again or was Aston Martin forced to create their own car?

Chicane
Chicane

McLaren have spoken about minimising production of launch spec parts to focus mainly on the upgrade package. The front wing, bargeboards, the engine cover, the floor will undergo changes come the start of the season.

McLaren are aiming to maximize mileage in preseason testing to unearth any niggles/issues they may have in light of engine change.

McLaren are being clever by playing up the compromises they have had to face because of them being not allowed to use tokens elsewhere. In my humble opinion they have pushed hard to get as many chassis modifications sanctioned as possible from the FIA. Some of those modifications could be disguised as necessary changes when their real purpose could be for performance.

They ran the car on track on February 16th, so we are talking about a month and a half lead time before the first race. When you factor in the gains Mercedes PU would bring, and the fact that McLaren have had plenty of time since they first ran the car, there may be some pleasant surprise at the start of the season.
Quickshifter

billamend
billamend

Emag wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 16:34
I was already very skeptical last year, but this year is making me think there's something going on in the background with those teams.
There is absolutely something going on in the background.

caesar1
caesar1

Emag wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 16:34
McL-H wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 16:15
Actually that car looks even more like a Mercedes this year compared to last year, because now they have even copied the rear-end packaging. And somehow they managed to come up with the same solution Mercedes came up with on their W12 ...

So that last sentence of yours should definitely not be taken for granted as I expect them to stronger this year than they were last year. Of course, the possibility that McLaren has found more gains still remains, so until we start racing we can't really be sure of anything.
Well Mercedes will soon own 20% of Aston Martin so I suppose it makes sense for them to be helping them out a lot.

Big Tea

proteus wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 16:49
This year will be a step backward. Ending 5th in the standings will be an achievement. They were superb last year, but this season will be a challenging one. 2022 is the one to expect more from them.
Also this year Ferrari will not be as shackled as they were last year and Mclaren looks to be the team they are most likely to take points off as they will be fighting for the same 2 places.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Chicane wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 17:16
McLaren have spoken about minimising production of launch spec parts to focus mainly on the upgrade package. The front wing, bargeboards, the engine cover, the floor will undergo changes come the start of the season.

McLaren are aiming to maximize mileage in preseason testing to unearth any niggles/issues they may have in light of engine change.

McLaren are being clever by playing up the compromises they have had to face because of them being not allowed to use tokens elsewhere. In my humble opinion they have pushed hard to get as many chassis modifications sanctioned as possible from the FIA. Some of those modifications could be disguised as necessary changes when their real purpose could be for performance.

They ran the car on track on February 16th, so we are talking about a month and a half lead time before the first race. When you factor in the gains Mercedes PU would bring, and the fact that McLaren have had plenty of time since they first ran the car, there may be some pleasant surprise at the start of the season.
Source?

"In my humble opinion they have pushed hard to get as many chassis modifications sanctioned as possible from the FIA."

Of course they would. Every team would.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Very light on the sponsor side this year. I had hoped finishing P3, returning to Mercedes and signing Daniel would be help boost the sponsor card.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

senja
senja

Let's not hope for top 2. While Mercedes and Red Bull were 1st and 2nd, at worst 3rd for Red Bull on every track, McLaren were so dependable on track layout, varying from 3rd to 7th.

Darth-Piekus

All I can say is fingers crossed to produce a car that will have the upper hand from the rest of the midfield at the first GP and give a run for their money on Red Bull and Mercedes when it is able.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Very light on the sponsor side this year. I had hoped finishing P3, returning to Mercedes and signing Daniel would be help boost the sponsor card.
We are still in the middle of a pandemic, probably a lot of potential sponsors are evaluating their marketing budgets and holding off until things normalize

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raleigh
Raleigh

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 17:04
Out of curiosity. Did they copy a car again or was Aston Martin forced to create their own car?
W11-clone. The green Mercedes.

Aston Martin effectively has an all new car for 2021 (new tub, engine, gearbox, sidepods and front/rear suspension) but it's a very familiar looking car.

mwillems

Time will tell where we are in the pecking order...

The car looks like a step forward, but the secret is in the saucy floor this year, so depending on how teams have managed that airflow to the floor, there could could be swings back and forth all over the field in terms of position, and as the season goes on for some teams that continue to develop that area. For all of Mclarens apparent progress, if they have done a poor job in this area relative to others, then they will take a step back. Likewise with other teams.

The season certainly offers possibilities, it's possible RBs floor is not so good (But doubtful), and Mclaren have done a great job, and they be able to get onto their tail some more.

It's also possible that Renault and Ferrari have done a great job and push Mclaren top the back of the queue,
I think it is hard to discount that so much is possible this year, and impossible to say where we might finish. Let's not turn hopes into opinions and into facts, because there is no point.

Whatever happens, I think this is a beautiful car, I love where the team is at in terms of brand and how they hold themselves. I like the driver line up, so happy to have Danny Ric on board as I think it helps us feel like we are a big team again that can attract top drivers. Love the fact we are covered in sponsors. What a difference 3 years makes,

On the other hand, we had to work hard to build ready for this year, a new chassis, front structure, wheelbase, aero... all of it in time for certain homologation points, have we had less time to focus on the new floor relative to other teams? Might we suffer for it?

I think it is reasonable to think that the AM will be at least as good as the Mclaren, but that we can have hope that their No2 driver will let them down again and fail to get them the points that would put them ahead of us. But there are no points deductions this year so that will be a harder challenge too.

Seriously this is going to be another cracking season for F1, two on the bounce now and the sport has needed it badly, I hope it stays as close and as nerve wracking as this for a long time (If you avert your eyes from Mercedes). Anywhere from 3-7 is up for grabs for Mclaren.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.