mp3 question

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
manchild

mp3 question

Can anyone advise me which stereo encoding should I use in order to get best compatibility (recognition and acceptance from DVD players that support mp3 DVD)?

I’m using NCH Switch and offered stereo encoding formats are Mono, Forced, Joint and Stereo.

Stereo seams to be the one with best quality but I’m not sure if that can cause problems with DVD players because majority of mp3 files that can be found are saved in Joint format. Size of files isn’t important to me only the compatibility.

Anyone with experience regarding this problem?

Steven
Owner

joint stereo has the same quality of normal stereo, but there is one big difference:

Stereo is saved as two seperate sound tracks, one for left and one for right. So you need exactly the double of mono to store the sound.

Joint however saves only one track which includes basically one of the two channels and a continuous code that holds information to create the second one out of the one encoded channel. This will maximize out at the size of stereo sound and tend to be the size of mono when both left and right channel are almost the same.

So if you have noticed most DVD's are recorded with joint, there is no compatibility issue and I'd go for joint ;)

manchild

Thanks Tomba

You know, I had files of various bit rates, various stereo modes, some with VBR and I decided to save them all in CBR 192 in stereo mode.

I've already made one version with whole compilation saved at Stereo format I hope that there is no point in converting it to Joint since I have no problem with space and size of files?

There is a little over 600 mp3 files and a plenty of space left on DVD even though I’m not using dual layer feature.

BTW, what happens to mp3 files when they are converted from lower to higher bit rate? Is there any improvement?

Same question for stereo mode – what happens to file that was originally saved as Joint and than converted to Stereo? Does it become true stereo or keeps characteristics of former file?

Why is there a wink near "joint"? [-X

manchild

Tomba, no comment or you just missed this post?

I’d really appreciate if you could help me with those additional questions I posted.

Nope theres no point in converting them to joint if you have no problem with the size of the files.

If you convert from a low bitrate to a higher then the file will take up more space but the quality stays the same.

They are both true stereo but joint uses less space, its more efficient.

Im not an audioexpert and if Tomba doesnt agree with me then Im probably wrong. But I think thats how it works.

/ Fx

P.S Your welcome. muhahaha :D

manchild

Thanks!

Can mp3 file have CRC error if it is fully functional (playable)?

I dont know the mp3 algorithm in detail but I suspect it depends on the error but if you cant notice anything during playback then it doesnt matter, just listen to it and be happy :).

/ Fx

manchild

Thanks, I was a bit fearful since I’ve converted large compilation without including CRC check and I’d like to avoid doing that again just to check CRC….