Web cam question

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
manchild

Web cam question

I wouldn’t ask this here but since Tomba mentioned that he’s studding computer science… :wink:

Recently I bought a web cam (Genius videoCAM look) and it works fine but there seams to be a problem with frame rate and USB bandwidth.

Regardless on which frame rate I select it records to slow (fast moving objects are blurry even on 30 fps). I guess that this is acceptable for video chat but not for normal recording.

http://www.genius-europe.com/english/webcam/cam03.htm

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Most of the webcams that I have had any experience of simply tends to be crap. Sorry.

Looking at the specification it doesnt look good but then again webcams are not my area of expertise.

USB 1.1 I dont know the actual speed of the 1.1 interface but I dont think things got moving before 2.0. So I think the webcam is really down on bandwith. The webcam is also in my opinion a really low res cmos.

I think the problem you are experincing is not software related but due to the hardware itself. Sorry hope they didnt rob you.

I havent seen the webcam and know only what you have written so it is easy to be wrong.

/ Fx

The symptoms remind me of my friends digital camera. It takes decent pictures but records crappy movieclips.

Its a 3 mpixel something Olympus camera(dont know if it has a CCD or a CMOS).

/ Fx

manchild

They didn't rob me (less than 25 euros) but I don't get why does it have 30 fps option when it can't transfer half of that frame rate via USB?

http://www.geniusnet.com.tw/product/pro ... ?pdtno=527

Perhaps I should check my USB host to host bridge driver? :?

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Scuderia_Russ

Anonymous wrote:The symptoms remind me of my friends digital camera. It takes decent pictures but records crappy movieclips.

Its a 3 mpixel something Olympus camera(dont know if it has a CCD or a CMOS).

/ Fx
A bit like mine then!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

The 30 fps claim is probably like the latency rating of monitors or like the watt rating of a cheap amplifier. A bit optimistic to say the least.

/ Fx

manchild

Anonymous wrote:The 30 fps claim is probably like the latency rating of monitors or like the watt rating of a cheap amplifier. A bit optimistic to say the least.

/ Fx
It isn't something from commercial for this web cam but actually a figure from settings panel.
This award is what makes me suspicious whether it is something I experience because of system settings or hardware but my comp. at least doubles all demands regarding speed, memory etc.