Bono nominated for Nobel price of Peace

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Principessa

Bono nominated for Nobel price of Peace

Rock stars Bono and Bob Geldof are among 191 nominees for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize -- the second longest list in the prize’s 105-year history.

Nominations for the $1.3 million award -- considered by many to be one of the world’s top accolades -- trickled in from all corners of the globe, the director of the Norwegian Nobel Institute Geir Lundestad said on Friday.

“There are two trends I want to point out. The first is that this is again a very high number and that this year we have received more nominations from different parts of the world than usual,” he told Reuters.

Well, I hope he wins...Bono is really the best! Love U2's music and all that Bono does for a better world!

manchild
manchild

If I was him I'd ask to be excused from list of nominees since among former winners of Nobel Peace Prize were some individuals with so many blood on their hands.

I really don't understand how someone's single political move in direction of peace after years or decades of direct responsibility for killing and torture of innocent people can wash out previous sins?

Even though some of the people from my list did what they did as government officials that doesn't change a thing in fact that they have been responsible for giving orders, creating politics, signing documents and participating in actions that took lives of innocent people.

All of the people listed below have done so without question:

YASSER ARAFAT , Chairman of the Executive Committee of the PLO.

SHIMON PERES , Foreign Minister of Israel.

YITZHAK RABIN , Prime Minister of Israel.

MIKHAIL SERGEYEVICH GORBACHEV , President of the USSR

MOHAMED ANWAR AL-SADAT , President of the Arab Republic of Egypt.

HENRY A. KISSINGER , Secretary of State, State Department, Washington.

That is why I find Nobel Peace Prize corrupted since thousands of war resisters and peace activists are not even mentioned in list of nominees while terrorists and politicians at the decline of their careers who make a single move in direction of peace get Nobel Peace Prize. I'm not a religious person but I think they'll burn in hell for what they did regardless on prizes they were given.

What about Bob Geldof for example? He had never done anything similar as this “six-pack”, he had saved so many lives without harming anyone but it looks like that nowadays only killers with a moment of sanity can be nominated. :roll:
Last edited by manchild on 01 Mar 2006, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

There will always be controversy in almost everything. Heck, even Alfred Bernhard Nobel was controversial in the fact that his inventions partially were a factor in better ways to kill people.
But it's a worthy cause, and in this world of crazy politics, we will see all kinds of crazy nominations and or awards.
I just wish that there wasn't, in the first place, a need to even have a peace prize. Life is too short and the world is too small for us to be killing each other.

Principessa

DaveKillens wrote:I just wish that there wasn't, in the first place, a need to even have a peace prize. Life is too short and the world is too small for us to be killing each other.
I think everybody is hoping for that Dave :(

f1.redbaron

It's a Beautiful Day....

I hope he wins it. I've always been a huge fan of U2, and his stock had just soared after, at his concert, he gave Canada's Prime Minister's home phone number and encouraged every person attending that concert to call him and demand that Canada increases foreign aid. Just loved him for it...

se7725
se7725

lol, what is this site turning into:)

Bono & U2 rock. He really has done some great work in his life with his music and his work with poor.