Head bolt torque?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
nokivasara
nokivasara

Head bolt torque?

Will the torque applied to TTY head bolts change much if the job is done in cold temperature?

They should be torqued to 60NM, +90, +90 degrees on a cold engine. This is probably at ISA?
Lets say I use the above torque on a engine that is 10C or 0C instead, would the difference due to thermal expansion of the head and bolts be enough to cause trouble?

Zynerji

Re: Head bolt torque?

I doubt torque to yield bolts would be effected by such a small temperature window.

I may be wrong, however... :mrgreen:

nokivasara
nokivasara

Zynerji wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 19:18
I doubt torque to yield bolts would be effected by such a small temperature window.

I may be wrong, however... :mrgreen:
Well, this is exactly my take on it, that's why I asked :mrgreen:

Big Tea

If all metals are at the same temperature, would it matter? Ally will expand more than steel but should still be well within the tolerance of torque. I was going t post the expansion table, but it is so minuscule compared to hot engine/cold engine it is not worth posting.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

bolts yield will start at around 3000 ppm of (elastic) strain

the relative linear thermal expansion of Al alloy to steel is about 10 ppm/deg C

nokivasara
nokivasara

Thanks! I thought that it would be ok but it would suck to end up with a snapped bolt or leaking head gasket just because the temps were too low.
Now I can fix it first thing in the morning, need to fix the heater in the garage too... :oops:

godlameroso

Honda?
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

nokivasara wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 19:16
Will the torque applied to TTY head bolts change much if the job is done in cold temperature?

They should be torqued to 60NM, +90, +90 degrees on a cold engine. This is probably at ISA?
Lets say I use the above torque on a engine that is 10C or 0C instead, would the difference due to thermal expansion of the head and bolts be enough to cause trouble?
No reason to worry, torque to yield bolts are designed such that the stress-strain curve is flat in the operating region which means that once they have yielded the pre-tension is highly insensitive to variations in torque, angle and other factors including temperature.

With a standard bolt the pre-tension variaton is in the range of +/-15% with a torque+angle tightening method. The effect of ambient temperature is nothing in comparison to that.

nokivasara
nokivasara

godlameroso wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 22:16
Honda?
Skoda PD TDI :mrgreen:

My username is finnish for diesel. Or soothammer to be precise but it means diesel.
Mudflap wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 13:32
nokivasara wrote:

No reason to worry, torque to yield bolts are designed such that the stress-strain curve is flat in the operating region which means that once they have yielded the pre-tension is highly insensitive to variations in torque, angle and other factors including temperature.

With a standard bolt the pre-tension variaton is in the range of +/-15% with a torque+angle tightening method. The effect of ambient temperature is nothing in comparison to that.
+/-15% is quite a lot. Is there a short answer to why the torque+angle is a better way to reach the desired clamping force? I mean if I use the torque+angle method and watch what the final torque is, why shouldn't I be able to just set the torque wrench to that number for the last sequence when tightening?

hUirEYExbN

nokivasara wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 11:41
godlameroso wrote:
Honda?

My username is finnish for diesel. Or soothammer to be precise but it means diesel.
Mudflap wrote:
nokivasara wrote:

+/-15% is quite a lot. Is there a short answer to why the torque+angle is a better way to reach the desired clamping force? I mean if I use the torque+angle method and watch what the final torque is, why shouldn't I be able to just set the torque wrench to that number for the last sequence when tightening?
Torque is a really unreliable way of prestressing a bolt. So generally, critical bolts are tightened until they are just starting to take on a load and then a known quantity of load is applied using angle.

https://www.norbar.com/News-Events/Blog ... -Explained

godlameroso

nokivasara wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Honda?

Mudflap wrote:
nokivasara wrote:

Tightening torque corresponds to, but does not equal bolt tension. There are several factors that can affect torque corresponding to bolt tension(stretching the bolt is one of those reasons). The bolt tension on head bolts come from them stretching a certain amount. Some head bolts can be reused if not stretched beyond a certain point.

In the service manual for reused head bolts on Hondas that measure out fine, you do 60nm + 90° + 90° but do an extra 90° if the headbolt is new.

Normally you don't stretch bolts, the tightening torque corresponds to a level of tension that won't stretch them. You can put 105nm on a 12mm thread grade 10 bolt without fear of stretching it, or 300nm on an axle nut without worrying if you're going to snap the axle stud.

Headbolts are meant to stretch.
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

nokivasara wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Honda?

Mudflap wrote:
nokivasara wrote:

Shortest answer I can come up with:
With torque only, an unknown portion of the torque goes into overcoming the bolt head and thread friction. Torque only is the least reliable method of doing up a joint except of course doing it up "by feel".

When using an angle method you directly control the joint displacement (for each full turn of the nut the joint displacement is equal to one thread pitch) so this process is largely insensitive to friction. However you still have to apply the first settling torque which of course will cause the initial tension to vary with friction.

The most accurate way to do up a joint is to directly control the stud elongation by either hydraulic tensioning, ultrasonic or strain gauge measurement or directly measuring the stud elongation if possible (non-blind threaded holes such as the ones on many connecting rods).