Oxford Brookes University: Motorsport Chassis Dynamics

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Anvit Garg
Anvit Garg

Oxford Brookes University: Motorsport Chassis Dynamics

Hello:

I am an undergraduate senior in mechanical engineering in America. I have been trying to teach myself vehicle dynamics in order to be more successful in the Formula SAE competition before I graduate.

I am not very good at absorbing all of my purchased textbooks regarding vehicle dynamics without some lecture to accompany it.

I was wondering if anyone had information about the chassis dynamics course offered through Oxford Brookes University.

I found a post on these forums hinting that the course would be available last year but I have had minimal luck with finding out the actual start date through the contact center.

If someone has taken this course or knows of a better distance learning course, please let me know! I need something that is very difficult and comprehensive so that I can design the suspension and chassis for an f1 style vehicle.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Richard on 26 Feb 2012, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated the title to a generic Cranfield & Brookes discussion. Merged 3 theads on this topic.

NDR008
NDR008

Re: Oxford Brookes University: Motorsport Chassis Dynamics

I believe Cranfield offer some kind of course on those lines because one of my lecturers was doing Vehcile Dynamics (one of the modules of their MSc motorsport degree).

Anvit Garg
Anvit Garg

I see that they do offer some helpful courses, but unfortunately it is not distance learning (from what I saw on their site)

I am located in USA and am at the last semester of my degree, so I was hoping to find some sort of distance learning available now.

Oxford Brookes University just got back to me...they won’t have the course available for another 2 months.

Please let me know if you come across any distance learning for motorsport suspensions/chassis that is available now.

Thanks!

Conceptual
Conceptual

In the overall scope of your life and career in motorsport, that 2 month delay to get exactly what you want is a rather small amount of time to wait.

If you like the Oxford Distance Learning system, I would go do something else until the 2 months is over, and then take what you want.

Anvit Garg
Anvit Garg

I definitely will enroll in their course, its just I have a project due in May that can not wait.

The motorsports course will definitely help me later in life, but I was hoping to find something immediately.

Andrei
Andrei

Are there any new experiences on this topic?

deedo
deedo

Cranfield University & Oxford Brookes University Discussions

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone here had graduated from Cranfield University or Oxford Brookes University in both BSc and MSc in Motorsport Engineering program?

Also, can you recommend me which university is best in Motorsport Engineering program?

Thanks in advance

Deedo
Last edited by Richard on 26 Feb 2012, 17:28, edited 2 times in total.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Cranfield University VS Oxford Brookes University?

Just as an extra bit of info.. are you looking to start undergrad? Or masters?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mep

This might sound a bit harsh but there are already many of such kind of topics.
It's better to ask in one of the existing ones.
I think this one should be deleted it just increases the chaos we have here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6852&p=110738&hilit ... ld#p110738

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8567&hilit=Cranfield

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7048&p=115720&hilit ... ld#p115720

MadMatt
MadMatt

I don't know if I can continue this thread, but indeed that's exactly the question I'm asking to myself : Oxford or Cranfield ? They offer similar programs.

I am currently in 2nd year of BSc in mechanical engineering in Switzerland, will (hopefully) graduate next year, and I would like to do a Master of Sciences in the UK. I looked on Oxford's offers and their MSc Motorsport engineering looks to be spot on with what I want to do. I had a quite look at Cranfield and it looks also like a good program !

Rally is what interests me the most. I've done mechanic on cars in a garage during 4-5 years got my paper, and I also know how to use my head (at least I think I do #-o ). So I don't want to find a job where I'm sitting in front of a computer the whole day or in the garage the whole time. Going out for testing, then back in the lab to work on parts, moving, that's the best kind of job for me. This is why I would be interested to be in a R&D or testing team, something like that. Don't know if its exactly like this because I had only an outside eye on this but it looks as it is what I'm looking for. They have to test the parts, find which ones works good, try to improve them, and so on. Small team would be better, so you feel more involved !

So guys, any experience to share ? I heard that its common use to have a company which pays your master fees. I cannot see how you can achieve to find a job in a racing team even before the master program but ok.

Thank you in advance guys for the advices because I'm sure there are people who graduated from these schools, and I'm sure this will also help deedo.

Sorry also for my English, but its not my native language !
:)

Arab1
Arab1

Jersey Tom wrote:Just as an extra bit of info.. are you looking to start undergrad? Or masters?
Hey Jersey Tom,
I'm wanting to do my masters, I already have an offer from Oxford Brookes University to do my masters there, and I'm almost done with getting an offer from Cranfield University, I just got done with there phone interview, I'm looking to go the best Motorsport Engineering school, I would be starting in the fall, could you help?
Thank you

MadMatt
MadMatt

Has anyone got feedback about these schools ? I really don't know which one to choose for next year ! :?

MadMatt
MadMatt

BTT I had interviews this week in both Brookes and Cranfield and I was offer in both a chance to start a MSc as motorsport engineer next year, but cannot choose. As I wrote earlier I'm interested in rallying !

Any students or ex-students of these schools on the forum ? :)

scotty86

I'm doing the BEng at Brookes. I don't know what to tell you really as i have no point of comparision with Cranfield! Surely if you went to interviews at both then you got a chance to look around and compare for youself.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Maybe you saw me, I was Thursday at Brookes visiting the facility with Mr. Balkwill. But it is difficult to judge just by seeing the things. It would be really more simple if factories were giving their opinion on this.

Like : if you want to work in Formula 1 go to X, if you want to work in rallying or off-road racing, go to Y !

As you are in Brookes, is there any student that you are aware of who is interested in working in a rally team ? I really want to get in touch with someone doing a MSc in motorsport engineering and willing to work in the rally world.

Would be nice :)