New Renault engine cover wing?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
F1freak
F1freak

New Renault engine cover wing?

Check this out. :shock:

High res pic

arisen
arisen

I doubt that wing will be much help, but my guess is they’ll ban it anyway... Can not generate any downforce as it’s mounted on the body work, and as for helping airflow to the rear wing, I’m thinking someone would have thought of that before had it been a some (legal) improvement.

Steven
Owner

well... they've been developing this new package especially for the Monaco GP, and I don't think they'll ban it actually.
Williams and Minardi have formerly driven with such a wing, which I think is to get a little more air down under the rear wing elements to be pulled up right behind the rear-wing elements.
Anyway, this is just tipical Monaco design, the extra wings, it's odd if you don't add something special :D . Nevertheless, I don't think this helps a lot, we'll see :wink:

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

it is always interesting to see what aerodynamic bits are added to the cars. it looks like they have made a change to the endplates of the rear wing as well. best find out how to attach images.
i cant see why they would ban it because it wont be classified as a moveable aerodynamic part. (xwings in 98 only got banned on safety ground mainly because they looked sh(bad)

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I don't think they'll ban this wing....cause there's a "hole" in the regulations that authorize a aerodynamic appendice up to 50 cm in front of the rear wheels...and with a maximum width of 100 cm! (I can't remember the maximum height of this element)....but check the regulations and give you a confirmation on this....

Toyota used the same wing last year at the Malasian GP, Monaco and Hungary!

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Like I said, the Renault engine cover wing isn't illegal...if you check articles 3.8 and 3.9 of the technical regulations you'll see what is permited and what isn't infront of the rear wheels centre line.

And I checked itt out and Toyota did use the wing last year at the Grand Prixs I mentioned.