Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
stevesingo
stevesingo

Re: Honda Power Unit

Is it feasible to have a variable swash fuel pump? Swash plate angle ECU controlled in relation to fuel demand?

HPD

Honda surprised the entire 'paddock' by saying they will seek to finish "in the top 3" next year. All this with Toro Rosso, one of the most modest teams, and with an engine that still gives problems.

"Those kinds of words are wrong." Hasegawa says.

- "But I want to justify Arai: I had motivation, a lot of faith and hope, what he did was transmit his wishes, as he did with Toro Rosso. we are not going to take such a big step forward, but they only convey their hopes. "

- "Maybe we sometimes fail to convey what we do, or it does not help to translate completely well"

It's all part of a larger picture where there are other factors, such as Honda's refusal to hire Western engineers. McLaren even took the reins by forcing some layoffs this year.

- "I think we have a good mix of Japanese and not Japanese ..."

https://www.elconfidencial.com/deportes ... a_1461180/

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Any news on a spec 4 unit coming to Austin?

godlameroso

Nope, I don't think we'll see it at all, everything has gone quiet.
Saishū kōnā

hemichromis
hemichromis

I haven't seen any mention of spec 4 since Alonso got a 3.* at Suzuka.

PlatinumZealot

Mudflap wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 00:11
I think that they meter the fuel at the pump inlet therefore the mass flow off throttle is very small hence the power required to drive it is also almost neglijible.

The disadvantage in doing so is that the dynamic loads on the cam lobe are pretty high at low chamber fill ratios.
I dont think there is any load on the cam lobe. It's just a pump geared to the cam shaft.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 00:52
Mudflap wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 00:11
I think that they meter the fuel at the pump inlet therefore the mass flow off throttle is very small hence the power required to drive it is also almost neglijible.

The disadvantage in doing so is that the dynamic loads on the cam lobe are pretty high at low chamber fill ratios.
I dont think there is any load on the cam lobe. It's just a pump geared to the cam shaft.
That is definitely a single plunger lobe pump.

For the sake of the argument, there would be a radial load on the camshaft even if the pump was geared.

GhostF1
GhostF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 00:53
godlameroso wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 19:46
Nope, I don't think we'll see it at all, everything has gone quiet.
The quiet means we will see it!
In their USA preview quotes, Hasegawa says this GP is where they believe they'll have the best chance to score points, so it's likely we won't see any penalties. If not this GP, I'm guessing Vandoorne at least, will take the new engine in Mexico.

loner

Shandow wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 20:23
There is a rumor in Japan that Honda will pay Alonso's salary next season to Mclaren, in exchange for some technology that Honda uses on its engine belonging to the Mclaren technology group.
Íñigo Domínguez
@ InigoDominguez
Follow Follow @ InigoDominguez
We have @ TPAnews that @ alo_oficial will renew with @ McLarenF1 for a season (€ 40m) with the idea of ​​running at Daytona and Le Mans.

if its true i wounder what is this tech Honda needed from Mclaren
para bellum.

FW17

loner wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 17:26
Shandow wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 20:23
There is a rumor in Japan that Honda will pay Alonso's salary next season to Mclaren, in exchange for some technology that Honda uses on its engine belonging to the Mclaren technology group.
Íñigo Domínguez
@ InigoDominguez
Follow Follow @ InigoDominguez
We have @ TPAnews that @ alo_oficial will renew with @ McLarenF1 for a season (€ 40m) with the idea of ​​running at Daytona and Le Mans.

if its true i wounder what is this tech Honda needed from Mclaren
Special ECU with a hack for MS

Just kidding

Must be some electrical systems and battery Mclaren does work on

FW17

Former Ferrari engine chief Luca Marmorini is working with Aston Martin as part of its evaluation of a Formula 1 project for 2021.
So Honda could not have hired in 2015? at least he would have said what not to do.

Snorked
Snorked

As of September 1st Hasegawa was put in charge of the Milton Keynes factory in the UK. Is this good news? :?

http://members.f1-life.net/report/59923/

godlameroso

Means they're closer to Europe, Craigy lives near, afaik not a lot of stuff is going on there atm according to him.
Saishū kōnā

HPD

"It feels very exciting," Key told Motorsport.com. "Like a release really, because it's the sort of thing that you always want to do to make the next step with your team, and it hasn't been possible until now.

"It's a huge challenge, and it's also a huge responsibility to that company as well. It's nice to have a partner rather than a supplier.

"You can really talk about the whole project and work out what the globally best solutions can be."

During McLaren-Honda's tumultuous reunion, the quality of communication between the British team and the Japanese manufacturer was often under scrutiny.

"I have to say that the communication flow has been really good, they are incredibly quick at being able to respond to requests and questions," said Key.

"They seem to have a lot of information available, either to hand, or they're able to find out pretty quickly if you need a particular bit of data.

"We've had a lot of technical discussions, and they have supported it and communicated it very well."

Toro Rosso's Honda deal has come together after the team started work on its 2018 chassis, but Key reckons it is much better than when it picked up a year-old Ferrari supply deal late in 2015.

"We've built up a resilience and flexibility in the team to having to cope with late decisions or changes of direction, which sometimes you might expect and other times you may not," he added.

"Because we've been through it on a number of occasions before, we're very proactive with our planning, and put as much forethought into something as possible.

"If it looks like something might happen, we start immediately talking in the background about 'What if?' scenarios.

"It's several months earlier than the Ferrari situation in 2015. It's quite a bit easier to deal with, although there's a lot of work to do."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... ey-966958/

McMika98
McMika98

Encouraging words from James Key whom I rate much highly than his equivalent in Mclaren. Hopeful that all parties will deliver. 2018 cant come quicker.