Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Bence
Bence

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Saviour stivala doubts the use of prechambers in F1 in general...

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula

henry wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 10:16
I think this is the reg that @godlameroso referred to:
5.1.11 An insert within a PU component is a minimal, non-dismountable part whose function is solely to locally support a function of this component. The total volume of inserts within the component cannot be more than 10% of the total volume of the component.
I’m not sure that it specifically covers a pre-chamber, but there are no other regs that restrict the combustion chamber area, other than the requirement for a spark plug.
It could refer to the prechamber, but i don't think it does. Generally what often is refered as inserts when it comes to combustion engines are things like tungsten weights which are welded or glued into the crankshaft as counterweights. You can gain an advantage by using them in masses because basically it keeps they size of the counterweights down which improves the aerodynamic of the crankshaft.

McHonda
McHonda

Mahle openly talked about using an adapted version of TJI for F1 regulations back in 2016. Mark Hughes wrote a piece about how they got around the single injector rule...

Within the F1 regulations, only a single injector is permitted and the key to applying the principle within that limitation was shrouding only the spark plug to form the mini-chamber above the main combustion chamber and not – as in the drawing – the injector and spark plug together.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... ine-update

Phillyred
Phillyred

Sorry if this has been asked or stated before, but is Red Bull forcing Honda to push updates on the Toro Rosso to make sure they get maximum testing in before Red Bull starts using Honda? Toro Rosso is the "test mule" etc.

gandharva

Phillyred wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 20:27
Sorry if this has been asked or stated before, but is Red Bull forcing Honda to push updates on the Toro Rosso to make sure they get maximum testing in before Red Bull starts using Honda?
No, not forcing. But Marko has given Honda free hand to introduce new parts in the remaining season even if this leads to grid penalties. But the decision is on Honda and not RBR.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Bence wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 14:31
Saviour stivala doubts the use of prechambers in F1 in general...
Yes you are correct.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

McHonda wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 19:29
Mahle openly talked about using an adapted version of TJI for F1 regulations back in 2016. Mark Hughes wrote a piece about how they got around the single injector rule...

Within the F1 regulations, only a single injector is permitted and the key to applying the principle within that limitation was shrouding only the spark plug to form the mini-chamber above the main combustion chamber and not – as in the drawing – the injector and spark plug together.
"How they got around the single injector role" Yes you are correct. that was after his attention was drawn to the rule stipulating "direct injection" must be used, and in turn the Mahle TJI pre-combustion system came about a week after pushing out the use of HCCI combustion system. all this happened something like 2 years ago.

Sieper

I don’t think Gasly is too unhappy with what his role this year has given him. Hartley had a fair shot as well. Maximum development fir Honda, that is the plan, everybody is on board with that, no forcing needed.

godlameroso

There's about 5 months left until winter testing, I'd imagine they'd be working flat out to get the best PU they can until then.
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

godlameroso wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 21:34
There's about 5 months left until winter testing, I'd imagine they'd be working flat out to get the best PU they can until then.
Yes they for sure will, in fact i have no doubt that the other 3 manufactures will also be working flat-out to that end.

McHonda
McHonda

saviour stivala wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 21:18
McHonda wrote:

"How they got around the single injector role" Yes you are correct. that was after his attention was drawn to the rule stipulating "direct injection" must be used, and in turn the Mahle TJI pre-combustion system came about a week after pushing out the use of HCCI combustion system. all this happened something like 2 years ago.
Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here but if you know Mahle said they are using an adapted form of TJI 2 years ago already then why do you doubt the use of pre-chambers in F1?

henry

saviour stivala wrote:
McHonda wrote:

As a point of interest what do you think “shrouding the spark plug to form a mini chamber” is other than a pre-combustion chamber?

Have you read the article I pointed you at? If you have why do you think pre-chamber is not in use in F1? If you have not why are you so discourteous? Other posters follow links you provide and they provide reasoned arguments about the points you make.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

Dr. Acula wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 16:54
henry wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 10:16
I think this is the reg that @godlameroso referred to:
5.1.11 An insert within a PU component is a minimal, non-dismountable part whose function is solely to locally support a function of this component. The total volume of inserts within the component cannot be more than 10% of the total volume of the component.
I’m not sure that it specifically covers a pre-chamber, but there are no other regs that restrict the combustion chamber area, other than the requirement for a spark plug.
It could refer to the prechamber, but i don't think it does. Generally what often is refered as inserts when it comes to combustion engines are things like tungsten weights which are welded or glued into the crankshaft as counterweights. You can gain an advantage by using them in masses because basically it keeps they size of the counterweights down which improves the aerodynamic of the crankshaft.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/Imag ... kshaft.jpg
Thanks. Makes more sense.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

McHonda wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 22:00
saviour stivala wrote:
McHonda wrote:

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here but if you know Mahle said they are using an adapted form of TJI 2 years ago already then why do you doubt the use of pre-chambers in F1?
Because i have my own reasons/believes (technical) like you might have.

JordanMugen

saviour stivala wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 21:51
godlameroso wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 21:34
Yes they for sure will, in fact i have no doubt that the other 3 manufactures will also be working flat-out to that end.
They will. At least out of Honda and Renault, Honda seem happier to throw more resources at the problem.