Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso
337
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by godlameroso » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Question for the brave, what is trapped vortex combustion? :?: :!: :wink:

Why would gas turbine engine developers be useful to develop this, if true of course.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

restless
16
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 8:12 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by restless » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 pm


PlatinumZealot
348
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by PlatinumZealot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:14 am

godlameroso wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Question for the brave, what is trapped vortex combustion? :?: :!: :wink:

Why would gas turbine engine developers be useful to develop this, if true of course.
Becuase of material properties you want to create a air barrier from melting the flame tube.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

McMika98
-35
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by McMika98 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Honda needs to work on their driveability asap. Very poor out of traction corners. Bahrain, Baku, Canada and now Singapore. So much for the promised quali mode.

lio007
280
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by lio007 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:28 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm
New fuel wasn't ready, should be ready for Singapore. Although they may revert back to spec 2 as there aren't any long straights. New fuel gives a bit more power and combustion stability.
What happened to the fuel upgrade? Any information if it was used in Singapore?

GhostF1
139
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by GhostF1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:19 am

McMika98 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:23 pm
Honda needs to work on their driveability asap. Very poor out of traction corners. Bahrain, Baku, Canada and now Singapore. So much for the promised quali mode.
How on Earth did you come to that conclusion? Because for you to say that means you also believe Mercedes are just as bad or arguably worse. Max and Alex said it was easy for them to get good exits when they really needed to, Max especially to fend off Hamilton. Driveability is not an issue so if you could enlighten us on how you came to this determination of their issues, that would be appreciated.

Max said in the post race press conference the car was not doing what he wanted it to do in a few corners and he had a few ideas of what was wrong, so they'll discuss and try and sort for the next races.

As for outright pace. There was nothing in it between Max and Lewis during the race. Both their fastest times were in the final 4 laps and Lewis was marginally faster on his race best (0.125) with tyres that were 9 laps fresher. Alex was also right there with them. Laps during the race, Max was doing a better job than either Merc's.

I think you'll find a more representative analysis of the weekend is RBR and Mercedes were level-pegging and Ferrari picked their game up and were clearly the fastest. Hence why both teams leave frustrated.

McMika98
-35
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by McMika98 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 am

Driveability is not as good as Ferrari and Renault that there is no doubt. Sector 1 laptimes is a proof of that. For a street circuit with very low demand on power, Max was asking for more power towards end of race to defend against Hamilton. Alex was asked to go slower by the team. Spec 4.0 is just not delivering at all.

GhostF1
139
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by GhostF1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am

McMika98 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 am
Driveability is not as good as Ferrari and Renault that there is no doubt. Sector 1 laptimes is a proof of that. For a street circuit with very low demand on power, Max was asking for more power towards end of race to defend against Hamilton. Alex was asked to go slower by the team. Spec 4.0 is just not delivering at all.
Of course he was asking for more power, he had to defend against Hamilton who had DRS, Lewis has asked for more several times this season, Charles has asked for more. I think you'll find he successfully did defend the DRs attack from Lewis at the end btw... Is that not evidence enough they've clearly got a bit of grunt? Max held off Lewis who had DRS for many laps and eventually pulled away out of DRS range. Lewis had fresher tyres as well. So what's the answer to that? You've now said the driveability is woeful, the power is woeful. So explain to me please how he managed the corner exit advantage and straight line defence. And also explain how Alex stayed within range the whole race on his first race there.
Honda prioritise driveability and map the PU to each driver, they make comment of this at every race and think it's crucial for success, they have also been praised constantly as one of the better PU's to drive. So why this driveability nonsense has crept up, I have no idea.

Also, can you answer why you randomly post positive things about them, then suddenly negative things that contradict what you said earlier? Honestly, I would believe you to be 2 people with the same login..

nzjrs
57
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Austria

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by nzjrs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am

GhostF1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am
Also, can you answer why you randomly post positive things about them, then suddenly negative things that contradict what you said earlier? Honestly, I would believe you to be 2 people with the same login..
=D> =D> =D>

Wouter
165
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Wouter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am

nzjrs wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am
GhostF1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am
Also, can you answer why you randomly post positive things about them, then suddenly negative things that contradict what you said earlier? Honestly, I would believe you to be 2 people with the same login..
=D> =D> =D>
Same thoughts here! =D>

TNTHead
4
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by TNTHead » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:08 am

To conclude anything about the PU at such a low power track is time wasted. Track time is probably 70% chassis / 30% pu here. Let's wait for Sochi to see if we can see signs of Spec4 improvements.

To return to another subject: VER did have a decent start, so they finally have found an acceptable mapping for the start? I haven't heard anything in the press about that?

Cassius
0
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:54 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Cassius » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 am

Any idea whether fuel upgrade was used?

Olav Mol (commentator Dutch broadcast) mentioned ExxonMobil brought the upgrade to Singapore.

I still read here they will bring it to Sochi for the first time.

lio007
280
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by lio007 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:00 am

Wouter wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am
nzjrs wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 am
GhostF1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am
Also, can you answer why you randomly post positive things about them, then suddenly negative things that contradict what you said earlier? Honestly, I would believe you to be 2 people with the same login..
=D> =D> =D>
Same thoughts here! =D>
Oh...good, I'm not the only one with the exact same thoughts!

godlameroso
337
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by godlameroso » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:00 pm

They brought the fuel it works. Ferrari just had too much pace this round. On to Sochi, I think RBR will be much better there as the downforce requirements are right in the car's window. Mostly mid speed corners in sector 1 & 2 which is where they are fastest of all.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Sayeman
45
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:18 am
Location: Bangladesh

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Sayeman » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:14 am

GhostF1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am
McMika98 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 am
Driveability is not as good as Ferrari and Renault that there is no doubt. Sector 1 laptimes is a proof of that. For a street circuit with very low demand on power, Max was asking for more power towards end of race to defend against Hamilton. Alex was asked to go slower by the team. Spec 4.0 is just not delivering at all.
Of course he was asking for more power, he had to defend against Hamilton who had DRS, Lewis has asked for more several times this season, Charles has asked for more. I think you'll find he successfully did defend the DRs attack from Lewis at the end btw... Is that not evidence enough they've clearly got a bit of grunt? Max held off Lewis who had DRS for many laps and eventually pulled away out of DRS range. Lewis had fresher tyres as well. So what's the answer to that? You've now said the driveability is woeful, the power is woeful. So explain to me please how he managed the corner exit advantage and straight line defence. And also explain how Alex stayed within range the whole race on his first race there.
Honda prioritise driveability and map the PU to each driver, they make comment of this at every race and think it's crucial for success, they have also been praised constantly as one of the better PU's to drive. So why this driveability nonsense has crept up, I have no idea.

Also, can you answer why you randomly post positive things about them, then suddenly negative things that contradict what you said earlier? Honestly, I would believe you to be 2 people with the same login..
Please stop replying to the Abiteboul cronies
Never Give up.