Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mwillems

Re: Honda Power Unit

fellowhoodlums wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:56
mwillems wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:45
GoranF1 wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 14:19
Dont get your hopes high...Honda themselfs don't think reliability will be sloved for AUS.
No but if it has helped, it will push Honda on to the next steps in evaluating Reliability and Performance, for what is a relatively painless fix. With some luck they will be able to develop this area further during the race weekend.

Remember the engine doesn't blow, it just shuts itself down, so can be used again. This only becomes really problematic in the race, but the rest of the time they can test and develop to their hearts content.
it shuts down, ok. And how long before it's back up and running? Once the session is over. IF....IF it's like testing we'll get 15laps before shutdown.
If that is the case, then yes. I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. I'm just saying that at least it doesn't necessarily affect our engine count. I also think someone mentioned a few days back that Honda have 4 opportunities to test and develop the engine, without penalties.

It is 8 times, if they introduce the engines to each driver in staggered intervals. There's no reason this season can't be turned around into a strong positive for Honda using some very aggressive development.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

But I have some optimism that we will be able to push on more than in Barcelona, but not necessarily confident that we will be able to finish a race with this engine.

Then again, having read the Autosport article, I do think that there are assumptions being made by the Journo. Reading what Hasegawa has said and ignoring Autosport, it is not immediately clear what will be improved or traded off. It is the article that appears to nudge us in the direction of less vibrations, not Hasegawa's quotes, unless there is more to his interview than I have seen, or Autosport actually have a good source they haven't shown us.

In short, at first glance, lot's of words, very few facts.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Mar 2017, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

dren

I can understand driveability improvements, but it is hard to realize that Honda didn't recognize the mapping issues on the dyno. Maybe they pushed development milestones so far that there was little actual dyno time?
Honda!

Roostfactor
Roostfactor

Maybe they pushed development milestones so far that there was little actual dyno time?
Honda!
This is exactly what Wasari san stated several pages back. It was one of his biggest frustrations working with HRD that they kept developing right to the end trying to find the most potential instead of finding a "good enough" setup early and fine tuning prior to Barcelona.

Sonador
Sonador

During the test you could hear the misfires and coughing (not always), so clearly they were experimenting with mapping.
Or could the missfires come from the electrical gremlins?

If they were mapping the engine during the test, the question is why cant they write a good base mapping on the dyno? why do they feel the need to do that during a test? It is something i never hear from a Ferrari Renault or Mercedes engine. (not saying they don't do that)
Last edited by Sonador on 21 Mar 2017, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

erikejw
erikejw

wuzak wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 12:41
JonoNic wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 11:29
Other teams can't really do this, except maybe Sauber. However, Ferrari is not willing to give them this year's engine...
Incorrect.

Sauber chose to stay with last season's PU.

This was for a couple of reasons - so they could work with a PU with known parameters, and not have to change details later in the design process, and to save money.
I believe Sauber will change to a new PU supplier next year.

Reasoning: Ferrari won't let a team use their latest spec if they are not signed a next year deal.

Manor used 2014 spec 2015 before change to Merc units. Toro Rosso got a one year deal with 2015 spec 2016. And now cashstrapped Sauber uses year old spec.

Wehrlein joined their team so they might get a huge discount on Merc units next year.

Honda really really need to supply a second team to get mileage to find problems and develop their units quicker. Ron vetoed it but now McLaren probably understands the benefits.

To supply Sauber more or less for free will substantially benefit all three parties.

Sauber monetary wise , McLaren performance wise and Honda performance and PR(a good reliable performing unit and good McLaren/Honda results) wise.

How probable is a Sauber/Honda deal?
Last edited by erikejw on 21 Mar 2017, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

erikejw
erikejw

Jef Patat wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 13:30
I find it rather strange that a mapping issue that would cause that much trouble is not detected earlier on the bench. To me that sounds more like an issue that can be solved through mapping.
That is my view too. I find it more likely that the vibrations(before redesign) can be mitigated with new mappings hence mappings is not the root cause.

godlameroso

dren wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 15:19
I can understand driveability improvements, but it is hard to realize that Honda didn't recognize the mapping issues on the dyno. Maybe they pushed development milestones so far that there was little actual dyno time?
Perhaps the chassis was also left to the last minute as well which is why it looked like such a "base" spec car. Boullier said that they would be trying to develop the car as quickly as possible, and maybe delays in McLaren's end and in Honda's lead to the delay in car development we have now. This is going to be a very interesting season, I'm thinking 2009 all over again, but with a little less reliability.
Saishū kōnā

Singabule
Singabule

What honda can do in just 2 weeks is remap ice for smoother running via less cylinder cutting, retarding ignition in expense of sacrificing little bit more fuel, increase thickness in their insulator, balancing via damper and flywheel. Other than that, would be impossible.

godlameroso

Well not 2 weeks as the power unit can't teleport from Sakura.
Saishū kōnā

Singabule
Singabule

godlameroso wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 18:30
Well not 2 weeks as the power unit can't teleport from Sakura.
They already identified the issue in 1st week of testing right? 8)

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Isn't mapping just software? So it can "teleport" in as long as it takes to send an email.

dren

fellowhoodlums wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 18:38
Isn't mapping just software? So it can "teleport" in as long as it takes to send an email.
Yes, it should be a simple download to the ECU. I don't know how big the files are for their ECUs, but the experience I've had with Hondas and Subarus, they are pretty small.
Honda!

diffuser

JonoNic wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 11:29

I believe Sauber will change to a new PU supplier next year.

Reasoning: Ferrari won't let a team use their latest spec if they are not signed a next year deal.

Manor used 2014 spec 2015 before change to Merc units. Toro Rosso got a one year deal with 2015 spec 2016. And now cashstrapped Sauber uses year old spec.

Wehrlein joined their team so they might get a huge discount on Merc units next year.

Honda really really need to supply a second team to get mileage to find problems and develop their units quicker. Ron vetoed it but now McLaren probably understands the benefits.

To supply Sauber more or less for free will substantially benefit all three parties.

Sauber monetary wise , McLaren performance wise and Honda performance and PR(a good reliable performing unit and good McLaren/Honda results) wise.

How probable is a Sauber/Honda deal?
Ron said Sauber would be a good choice way back when he was saying no to RBR.

diffuser

dren wrote:
21 Mar 2017, 15:19
Wazari had mentioned around the time we were approaching the 1st pre-season test that the PU software coders were working around the clock.