Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

So the boys in Viry Chatillon are working overime this winter, with Mario Illien onboard. Does anybody know, for how long Illien was involved with Mercedes HPP? Would he have any knowledge of the Mercedes V6t or would there be engineers switch from Mercedes HPP and Ilmor?

wuzak
wuzak

NL_Fer wrote:So the boys in Viry Chatillon are working overime this winter, with Mario Illien onboard. Does anybody know, for how long Illien was involved with Mercedes HPP? Would he have any knowledge of the Mercedes V6t or would there be engineers switch from Mercedes HPP and Ilmor?
I don't think he has been at MHPE for many years.

Sevach
Sevach

NL_Fer wrote:So the boys in Viry Chatillon are working overime this winter, with Mario Illien onboard. Does anybody know, for how long Illien was involved with Mercedes HPP? Would he have any knowledge of the Mercedes V6t or would there be engineers switch from Mercedes HPP and Ilmor?
Ilien and Mercedes split in 2005 i think, the old Ilmor base became the Mercedes HPE factory.

Ilien has kept the rights to the name Ilmor, but it's a completely different structure.

FoxHound

Sevach wrote:
Ilien and Mercedes split in 2005 i think, the old Ilmor base became the Mercedes HPE factory.

Ilien has kept the rights to the name Ilmor, but it's a completely different structure.
Yup, very far removed from the Mercedes set-up. Probably the only thing Mario can glean right now, is staff from MB-HPE.
That's not a slight on him, just a statement of fact.
JET set

lio007

Interesting interview with Remi Taffin:
http://www.renaultsportf1.com/Interview ... -6518.html

trinidefender
trinidefender

lio007 wrote:Interesting interview with Remi Taffin:
I actually feel quite sorry for Renault. It appears that they did something similar to Honda, good concept with the ERS (or ICE in the case of Honda) but compromised in other areas which ultimately costed the outright power. Hopefully they will learn for next year and their PU will be competitive.

From what I can gather this article seems to indicate that they are moving to a development more similar to the Honda model. More slow and steady progress that should eventually lead to good results. Time will tell if it works but I am really hoping it works out for them next year (especially as I want it to be a big F you to RedBull after an entire season of criticism)

Next question, RedBull's PU will be a Renault PU that is rebranded? Haven't really been keeping up with that whole deal. As such will they get the same upgrades when Renault spends tokens or can Renault essentially freeze them to launch spec as they aren't running a "Renault" engine (they are but hey aren't lol)?

Webber2011
Webber2011

trinidefender wrote:
Next question, RedBull's PU will be a Renault PU that is rebranded? Haven't really been keeping up with that whole deal. As such will they get the same upgrades when Renault spends tokens or can Renault essentially freeze them to launch spec as they aren't running a "Renault" engine (they are but hey aren't lol)?
If Red Bull have signed a contract which gives Renault the opportunity to hold back upgrades, then they have well and truly screwed themselves on a scale far greater than I ever imagined :o

They may as well have taken the 2015 spec Ferrari deal along with Torro Rosso !

rgava
rgava

Webber2011 wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
If Red Bull have signed a contract which gives Renault the opportunity to hold back upgrades, then they have well and truly screwed themselves on a scale far greater than I ever imagined :o

I think it's not the case because Renault is on catch-up mode.
They need as much use of their engine as possible.
Right now their aim with the works team is to be succesfull in the medium term.
So, IMO, it makes no sense to deliver the only customer team they have with old spec PU's.

trinidefender
trinidefender

trinidefender wrote:
I actually feel quite sorry for Renault. It appears that they did something similar to Honda, good concept with the ERS (or ICE in the case of Honda) but compromised in other areas which ultimately costed the outright power. Hopefully they will learn for next year and their PU will be competitive.

From what I can gather this article seems to indicate that they are moving to a development more similar to the Honda model. More slow and steady progress that should eventually lead to good results. Time will tell if it works but I am really hoping it works out for them next year (especially as I want it to be a big F you to RedBull after an entire season of criticism)

Apparently somebody got butthurt that I criticised their team (RedBull) and pointed out their abhorrent behaviour toward Renault this season. Especially after winning 4 back to back championships with them when Renault never even got a mention in a press conference or anything.

I wish people would use the upvote/downvote system for things that actually matter such as good ideas, getting race pictures, being able to bring us behind the scenes information and generally useful information. Not what we currently have by some members where it is a "I don't like what you said about my team so I'm going to downvote you" or a "you said something mildly funny so upvote you" type thing.

trinidefender
trinidefender

rgava wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

I think it's not the case because Renault is on catch-up mode.
They need as much use of their engine as possible.
Right now their aim with the works team is to be succesfull in the medium term.
So, IMO, it makes no sense to deliver the only customer team they have with old spec PU's.
So this doesn't get off topic I'll ask in the RedBull PU thread in this forum section, would suggest going there for an answer.

turbof1

trinidefender wrote:

To answer this: yes. It will be rebranded as TAG-Heuer, and they will get the same PUs and updates as the Renault works team does. In essence, functionally-wise nothing changes. What changes is expressed in name and financial terms (the whole deal including lost of sponsoring from both Renault and Infiniti is rumored to be a loss of 70 million dollar).

The current rules also do not allow what you suggest. It would suggest that an IP transfer would have taken place ("it's not a Renault PU anymore"), which would also mean TAG-Heuer would actually be in its rights to develop their own updates. This is not allowed as it stands. It was officially stated Renault will supply updates and PUs and Red Bull runs it under the name of TAG-Heuer.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

trinidefender wrote: Apparently somebody got butthurt that I criticised their team (RedBull) and pointed out their abhorrent behaviour toward Renault this season. Especially after winning 4 back to back championships with them when Renault never even got a mention in a press conference or anything.
Pls keep this sort of BS to yourself and not put it out here

turbof1

Let's get back on topic, gents.
#AeroFrodo

hurril
hurril

What would be the point of rebranding the PU in this manner?

Paul

Money.