Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
User avatar
djos
145
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

gandharva wrote:Second one. For sure.

/edit
Lulz at the downvote for my previous post. As if 2 years of disappointing customers would not be enough to proof it's truth.
Some folks around here take umbrage at reasonable criticism. :(
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

User avatar
djos
145
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

godlameroso wrote:
gandharva wrote:Second one. For sure.

/edit
Lulz at the downvote for my previous post. As if 2 years of disappointing customers would not be enough to proof it's truth.
I didn't do it, but you were downvoted likely because you believe that Illmore will suddenly take them to the top and not more resources and monetary investment on Renault's part. They no longer throw money at Red Bull via Infinity, and in fact Red Bull now pays Renault for engines via TAG. That cash could easily go to their engine program.
Renault have proven and publicly admitted they were lost so imo it's not unreasonable for those of us wishing to see Renault return to competitive form to place high expectations on Mario.

Apparently some folk here take umbrage with calling a spade a spade.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

User avatar
ME4ME
179
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

Blackout wrote: And the Total* and infinity and FOM money that used to go to RBR, will go to Renault.
You are two-thirds wrong. FOM will still pay RBR their share, and Total will still be a partner and sponsor or RBR.

We can only speculate about Infiniti. They are partners with Renault now, but what the deal is worth, nobody knows. Over the years they were with RBR, they were title sponsor, for the quadripple championship winning team. Now with Renault they will initially be at the back, and maybe in the future be at the front. As far as i'm aware, they aren't even title sponsors. It's anyone's guess how much Infiniti contributes economically to Renault F1, but my guess is it's less than what they payed RBR for their billion dollar worth of annual TV-time.

Anyway, excuse me for the off-topic.

Peter1919
Peter1919
11
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

Infiniti is owned by Nissan who are owned by Renault so they may well be paying just as much into the Renault F1 team as they were in to the Redbull team. To me it all seems like wasted money as even as an F1 fan I had no idea what infiniti did until I looked it up so pretty poor advertising

User avatar
godlameroso
517
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

ME4ME wrote:
Blackout wrote: And the Total* and infinity and FOM money that used to go to RBR, will go to Renault.
You are two-thirds wrong. FOM will still pay RBR their share, and Total will still be a partner and sponsor or RBR.

We can only speculate about Infiniti. They are partners with Renault now, but what the deal is worth, nobody knows. Over the years they were with RBR, they were title sponsor, for the quadripple championship winning team. Now with Renault they will initially be at the back, and maybe in the future be at the front. As far as i'm aware, they aren't even title sponsors. It's anyone's guess how much Infiniti contributes economically to Renault F1, but my guess is it's less than what they payed RBR for their billion dollar worth of annual TV-time.

Anyway, excuse me for the off-topic.
Well seeing as how Infinity is an arm of Nissan which is owned by Renault I think whatever sum of money the parent company invested in Red Bull is being funneled right back into their own engine program. This + TAG money for engines, and Mario being persuaded to look at Renault at the Request of Red Bull leads me to believe they're still working together. There's certainly some politics involved, I think that all the stalling and backhanded dealings happened because Renault was planning to re-acquire Enstone for some time, and they wanted chassis data which Red Bull did not want to share. So Renault tried to leverage all the sponsorship it was tossing to Red Bull for chassis development as the reason they took so long with the development of the power unit. So now Renault has all of the money they invested in Red Bull back to develop the engine, plus their own chassis development team. I'm sure Red Bull has some contractual guarantees that they'd have more influence on when and how the power unit is developed, in exchange for Red Bull helping Renault with their 2017 chassis.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

User avatar
Blackout
903
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

ME4ME wrote:
Blackout wrote: And the Total* and infinity and FOM money that used to go to RBR, will go to Renault.
You are two-thirds wrong. FOM will still pay RBR their share, and Total will still be a partner and sponsor or RBR.
You didnt understand me. Obviously I was talking about the Renault part. I was comapring Renault's situation as a motorist with its new situation as a team. I said RBR was the F1 team, so RBR gets all the FOM revenues. Renault being 'just' an engine manufacturer and despites its contribution, gets nothing from that, or very little, and must rely on other (meager) sources. Now that Renault finally decided to do the new F1 the right way and run its own F1 team like Ferrari and Merc, it will get all the revenues that Renault generates... same for RBR, as usual.
I ve put a (*) in font of (total) in order to recall that total will stay with RBR in 2016 but forgot to add that recall.

User avatar
Blackout
903
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post


User avatar
gandharva
234
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Munich

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

Blackout wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
godlameroso wrote:..and in fact Red Bull now pays Renault for engines..
They always did.
With hte money Renault's parners (Total and Infinity) gave them...

Maybe gandharva didnt notice the changes that occured in the Renault camp in the last months... And he seems to think Renault cant built engine and only Illmor can save them.
Many things have changed in the las couple of months... Renault has its own team today and Its chassis team will be far more open and cooperative and will work with the engine team hand in hand...
What was true in a near past isnt true anymore.
Please explain exactly what restructuring happened at Renault that will suddenly improve the engine, beside hiring Mario Illien? Imho most of the restructuring was done on the chassis side and that won't help much to improve the engine. Sure this could in the long term improve the car, but this is not the car nor the team thread.

Btw. what happened in the past is the ONLY true evidence one has. Everything else is pure speculation and/or wishful thinking.

jure
jure
7
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:27 am

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

gandharva wrote: Please explain exactly what restructuring happened at Renault that will suddenly improve the engine, beside hiring Mario Illien? Imho most of the restructuring was done on the chassis side and that won't help much to improve the engine. Sure this could in the long term improve the car, but this is not the car nor the team thread.

Btw. what happened in the past is the ONLY true evidence one has. Everything else is pure speculation and/or wishful thinking.
Don't be such pessimist. Why would Renault stay in f1 if they have no vision? They clearly know where their deficit is. After all there are some very capable people and their ers is very good. I see no reason why their combustion efficiency could not reach Mercedes levels. It will not happen over night, but so didn't Mercedes make it happen over night.

User avatar
gandharva
234
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm
Location: Munich

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

jure wrote:
gandharva wrote: Please explain exactly what restructuring happened at Renault that will suddenly improve the engine, beside hiring Mario Illien? Imho most of the restructuring was done on the chassis side and that won't help much to improve the engine. Sure this could in the long term improve the car, but this is not the car nor the team thread.

Btw. what happened in the past is the ONLY true evidence one has. Everything else is pure speculation and/or wishful thinking.
Don't be such pessimist. Why would Renault stay in f1 if they have no vision?
I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist. As soon as I start to see some progress at Renaults PU we can talk again. ;)

GoranF1
GoranF1
184
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

Image
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

User avatar
godlameroso
517
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

That's a big ass turbo, that thing looks like it can flow some serious air.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

ferkan
ferkan
47
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

Compared to Honda and Merc this looks gigantic at the back :shock:

I guess both Ferrari and Renault will have to repackage the engine sooner or later. Because F1 is a sport where every ms counts, and having longer car with fatter rear end and higher COG just wont cut it when competition is this ruthless like Mercedes is today.

User avatar
ME4ME
179
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

Blackout wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
Blackout wrote: And the Total* and infinity and FOM money that used to go to RBR, will go to Renault.
You are two-thirds wrong. FOM will still pay RBR their share, and Total will still be a partner and sponsor or RBR.
You didnt understand me. Obviously I was talking about the Renault part. I was comapring Renault's situation as a motorist with its new situation as a team. I said RBR was the F1 team, so RBR gets all the FOM revenues. Renault being 'just' an engine manufacturer and despites its contribution, gets nothing from that, or very little, and must rely on other (meager) sources. Now that Renault finally decided to do the new F1 the right way and run its own F1 team like Ferrari and Merc, it will get all the revenues that Renault generates... same for RBR, as usual.
I ve put a (*) in font of (total) in order to recall that total will stay with RBR in 2016 but forgot to add that recall.
Ok, I see your point. It makes more sense now :)

User avatar
godlameroso
517
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Post

A turbo that large almost confirms that their problem is detonation.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee