Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

This is the official Mercedes Power Unit topic. All discussion about the hardware specifically concerned to the Mercedes Power Unit goes in here. Discussion about the other parts of any Mercedes powered car, not related to the PU, will go in the respective car thread.

I noticed we lacked an official topic for the Mercedes power source. Since the current trend around here is to separate PU discussion from car discussion, we'll continue this trend for Mercedes too, for the sake of consistency.
#AeroFrodo

livinglikethathuh
livinglikethathuh
12
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

Turbo,
It could be better if we mentioned the official name of the PU. It's not officially announced yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be called PU106C.

Same applies for all power unit threads, their names are still unknown though. Ferrari's could be called Tipo 059/5.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

The way the topics are structured, is that a power unit topic represents all the years of the type of power unit. Using the 2016 name wouldn't that recommended since the same topic will be used next year too. Unless we change the topic title every year, which is a possibility.

I'll see what the other members want, and I'll decide on the general opinion.
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
459
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

This topic already exists somewhere...

User avatar
Blackout
763
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

Some new pics from F1i magazine

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
jamesalexw wrote:A naked W06 at the USGP
Image
Last edited by Blackout on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurril
hurril
56
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

Do we think that they use a fixed tubing running as: Compressor => Air-water => Air-air => Plenum or might there be shunting going on between the cooling stages? I can see using only the air-air intercooler on the straights or when there's a surplus of cooling capacity from the wind and switching to only the water-air one in tight corners with the added benefit of a quicker gas-response time. What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: suppose I misunderstood a few things. Only the works team runs the air-water intercooler?

User avatar
matt21
102
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

hurril wrote:Do we think that they use a fixed tubing running as: Compressor => Air-water => Air-air => Plenum or might there be shunting going on between the cooling stages? I can see using only the air-air intercooler on the straights or when there's a surplus of cooling capacity from the wind and switching to only the water-air one in tight corners with the added benefit of a quicker gas-response time. What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: suppose I misunderstood a few things. Only the works team runs the air-water intercooler?
I would rather think that there could be a bypass to the cooler for throttle reponse. But maybe this is not needed due to the MGUH. Also there could be some sort of PRV in the inlet tract.

hurril
hurril
56
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

matt21 wrote:
hurril wrote:Do we think that they use a fixed tubing running as: Compressor => Air-water => Air-air => Plenum or might there be shunting going on between the cooling stages? I can see using only the air-air intercooler on the straights or when there's a surplus of cooling capacity from the wind and switching to only the water-air one in tight corners with the added benefit of a quicker gas-response time. What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: suppose I misunderstood a few things. Only the works team runs the air-water intercooler?
I would rather think that there could be a bypass to the cooler for throttle reponse. But maybe this is not needed due to the MGUH. Also there could be some sort of PRV in the inlet tract.
Since writing my post, I've come to question whether or not the mercedes-driven cars even has double cooling stages.

The MGU-h needs energy though so that throttle response does not come for free.

User avatar
FW17
231
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

Does Mercedes HPP use the patented technology Nonoslide?

User avatar
aleks_ader
84
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

WilliamsF1 wrote:Does Mercedes HPP use the patented technology Nonoslide?
What is this? Are you sure the spelling is correct? Search engine dont find anything!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

User avatar
FW17
231
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

aleks_ader wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Does Mercedes HPP use the patented technology Nonoslide?
What is this? Are you sure the spelling is correct? Search engine dont find anything!
No worries, I found it. They seem to be using it.
“We are often asked the question of whether there is actually any technology transfer between race and road car engineering. The answer is resoundingly ‘yes’ – but it’s a more subtle process than bolting bits from one car onto another”, says Paddy Lowe, Executive Director (Technical) at MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS. “There are examples of direct transfer – for instance the NANOSLIDE technology used to coat cylinder bore surfaces. And then there is indirect transfer, where F1 serves as a research laboratory for developing new solutions and showing the world what is possible.”

Tribology (surfaces): The development of surfaces breaks down into two areas: surface characteristics and coatings. When it comes to coatings, engineers are looking at changing the material of the surface to improve the way in which it interacts with its environment. For example, an aluminium engine block has a poor tribological surface, so that surface is changed with a coating that has the desired properties. This is where NANOSLIDE is used by the new Mercedes F1 V6 Turbo engine because the friction between piston and bore liner is one of the single biggest frictions in the engine – and of paramount importance.Nanoslide was developed starting in the year 2000 by Daimler and is protected by more than 90 patent families and over 40 patents. Since 2006, this technology has been employed for over 200,000 engines so far. Initially starting with the AMG V8, the application scope was widened and Mercedes-Benz will roll out this technology even wider in the near future.
Image

Brian Coat
Brian Coat
98
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

According to my understanding, this Nanoslide is Merc's version of a pretty established race car technology: Wire arc spray + superfinish

In F1 a version of it was in use over 15 years ago.

It is newer in road cars and the high production volume micro finishing is impressive.

Mostly, they're doing a good job of supporting MB's brand, with this road-race piece.

OO7
OO7
125
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

I wonder how it compares with beryllium.

User avatar
rscsr
68
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

Blaze1 wrote:I wonder how it compares with beryllium.
These are two different "technologies". Beryllium is an element with outstanding stiffness and low density. The supposed "nanoslide" is a coating for the bore.

OO7
OO7
125
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Post

rscsr wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:I wonder how it compares with beryllium.
These are two different "technologies". Beryllium is an element with outstanding stiffness and low density. The supposed "nanoslide" is a coating for the bore.
I understand, but didn't Mercedes/Ilmor use beryllium or a beryllium alloy to line bore of some of their V10s, before it was banned?