Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

I heard it was the block coolant inlet pipe which can be changed without penalty.

zibby43
zibby43

Mudflap wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 22:19
I heard it was the block coolant inlet pipe which can be changed without penalty.
That's good news. Thanks for sharing. That would explain why Merc wasn't too worked up about it.

Do you mind sharing the source of that information?

Morteza

I found this on Albert Fabrega's Twitter (translated by Google Translate):
Perez: The problem in France is under control. It was just a water leak. Engine is OK.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Force India showing what they've got.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon
roon

MtthsMlw wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 14:37
Force India showing what they've got.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhV0qX5X0AEkOu0.jpg:large
Looks like the gearbox, incl. crash structure, is ~3x longer than the engine.

roon
roon

A good look at what I think is the VLM actuator (upper main photo, ignore the arrows pointing to the fuel pump). Long silver housing with hydraulic lines out either end. Has a long flange that would attached to a plenum runner, and lies parallel to the straight section of the plenum, centered between both banks.

anthonyfa18 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 13:46

honda 2018 fuel pressure pump vs Mercedes 2018
Note the right-hand bank intake plenum is removed, and we see the left hand bank only. Also, the spark plugs and (presumably) pressure sensors are removed on the right hand bank as well.

The actuator shown above also apparent on the 2016 PU:

turbof1

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Updated topic title to better reflect topic's intentions.
#AeroFrodo

ScrewCaptain27

Williams-spec PU:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

MtthsMlw

via PG Tech

Big Tea

In the top pic above, it looks at first if the wrapping is chaffed through, which I thought was not right. Lookin in magnification it does not seem to be, but looks intentional.

Why would they do this? Is it just a sensor is not attached in the pic or is there a reason to leave a hot spot?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon
roon

I hope they ban engine blankets along with the tire blankets.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Big Tea wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 14:48
In the top pic above, it looks at first if the wrapping is chaffed through, which I thought was not right. Lookin in magnification it does not seem to be, but looks intentional.

Why would they do this? Is it just a sensor is not attached in the pic or is there a reason to leave a hot spot?
Do you mean on the side of the exhaust manifold (the engine partially covered by a blanket) ?

Big Tea

Mudflap wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 21:57
Big Tea wrote:

Do you mean on the side of the exhaust manifold (the engine partially covered by a blanket) ?
top pic, the outer edge of the pipe, as if it had scuffed the panel, but has a definite 'border' around the area.
Just below the stainless pipe between the flexibles.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Big Tea wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 22:05
Mudflap wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 21:57
Big Tea wrote:

Yeh, the outer edge of the pipe, as if it had scuffed the panel, but has a definite 'border' around the area.
Just below the stainless pipe between the flexibles.
Ah, that's for clearance to car bits.
The manifold is wrapped in an insulating layer held together by a very thin stainless steel sheet. Those clearance dimples are done by locally removing the insulating layer so there's just the sheet steel. They are much more obvious on last year's engine.