Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
djones
djones

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

The failures don't surprise me. I suspect they will retire in a number of races in the first 1/4 of the season.

Mercedes were having to aim for a fake target. They believed Ferrari was legitimately making a lot more power than them so HAD TO push the limits.

This will probably help the championship be closer in the points. Conversely, I suspect near the end of the season when the reliability is totally resolved and they can run max power we will see some crazy performance.

De Jokke

Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

zibby43
zibby43

Great find. Thanks.

Some excerpts from Andy Green:

"I think HPP (Mercedes' engine department) are aware of the issues that have occurred over the last few weeks, and they have their own containment measures in place. They tell us they’re not worried, [so] we’re not worried. We think we’ll be in a good place come Melbourne. This is testing, this is what it’s all about.”

Asking about the nature of the oil systems issues, Green revealed Mercedes were already aware before testing about potential flare-ups in that specific part of the power unit. HPP, High Performance Powertrain, are already working on a solution back Brixworth.

“I think [they are] some teething problems, some batch problems, but I think all of them were known problems. None of these are unknown problems, which are the ones that get you. These are known problems that they have fixes for.”

casper
casper

My take on this is that they are bringing engine in-season development work way forward. Last week's engine is the final and working Melbourne spec. This week's is for the testing the engine meant for second half of the season.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Came in here, as directed by Ferrari's tame moderator, to discuss Mercedes's cheating with their PU. But they haven't been cheating, unlike Ferrari, so it'll be a short discussion... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Bill
Bill

Oil burning have been forbidden for a while but Mercedes and Ferrari continue doing it but these year fia has gone into details to define what's allowed what not.Renault and Honda had not gonna that route so their pu have been pretty reliable throughout testing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Bill wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 20:32
Renault and Honda had not gonna that route so their pu have been pretty reliable throughout testing.
Mercedes has redesigned their engine so they are going through teething issues. Nothing linked to oil burning.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djones
djones

Bill wrote:
Oil burning have been forbidden for a while but Mercedes and Ferrari continue doing it but these year fia has gone into details to define what's allowed what not.Renault and Honda had not gonna that route so their pu have been pretty reliable throughout testing.
Mercedes have literally never been caught or had anything on the car that suggested oil burning.

Ferrari, on the other hand, were found with additional oil tanks. They were also accused of leaking oil into the intercooler. There seems to be a bit of a pattern emerging with Ferrari and cheating.

LM10
LM10

djones wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 22:44
Bill wrote:
Mercedes have literally never been caught or had anything on the car that suggested oil burning.

Ferrari, on the other hand, were found with additional oil tanks. They were also accused of leaking oil into the intercooler. There seems to be a bit of a pattern emerging with Ferrari and cheating.
Do you really believe that? :lol:

hurril
hurril

LM10 wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 23:22
djones wrote:
Bill wrote:

Why don't you instead offer a retort instead of this sort of nonsense?

LM10
LM10

hurril wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 00:00
LM10 wrote:
djones wrote:

Mercedes having burnt oil is so extremely straight forward that I couldn’t react in another way, sry.

Juzh

LM10 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 00:08
hurril wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 00:00
LM10 wrote:

Mercedes having burnt oil is so extremely straight forward that I couldn’t react in another way, sry.
In fact anyone denying it must have started following f1 last year, or 2018 at the earliest.

OO7
OO7

I don't understand what oil burning has got to do with anything. The F.I.A have imposed limits on how much oil can be burnt, so any team/manufacturer using this avenue as a means to boost power will be limited. I don't see how this relates to Mercedes' reliability concerns surrounding oil lubrication.

godlameroso

Whatever the purpose for burning oil, Mercedes exploited this to the point of taking an early power unit to avoid the lower oil burning requirement.

Whether burning oil is a result of going more extreme on piston rings, or turbo seals which don't seal well at low RPM's, or if they're burning oil for extra power is something we will never know, but we cannot deny what happened in 2018. You noticed how Mercedes engine basically didn't improve from 2018 to 2019, and they have to take extreme measures to stay ahead of Ferrari, and now Honda. The most obvious variable was the lower oil burning requirement, so I don't hold it against people to say Mercedes was exploiting it for gain.

Mercedes plays interesting games, they say they weren't able to use the full potential of last year's engine due to inadequate cooling, yet they design an engine which is made to run hotter, which I fear will lead to the same excuse of not being able to use the full potential of the engine. Better than admitting they've been caught by Honda.
Last edited by godlameroso on 02 Mar 2020, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

OO7
OO7

godlameroso wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 05:13
Whatever the purpose for burning oil, Mercedes exploited this to the point of taking an early power unit to avoid the lower oil burning requirement.

Whether burning oil is a result of going more extreme on piston rings, or turbo seals which don't seal well at low RPM's, or if they're burning oil for extra power is something we will never know, but we cannot deny what happened in 2018. You noticed how Mercedes engine basically didn't improve from 2018 to 2019, and they have to take extreme measures to stay ahead of Ferrari, and now Honda. The most obvious variable was the lower oil burning requirement, so I don't hold it against people to say Mercedes was exploiting it for gain.
I never suggested Mercedes hadn't exploited oil burning, I believe they have. My question was how this is related to their recent failures in testing.